Potential Raptor purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane33

Reaction score
There is a 2012 Raptor for sale at a little dealer by me. It is completely stock with 150K miles on it. After a quick test drive and once over it has a very large exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold from what i can hear. The rear end is making noise on acceleration so sounds like the rear pinon gear is going out. When in gear and stopped it vibrates a bit and the idle moves but it doesn't do it in park or neutral. It has a decent amount of surface rust underneath it. Then it has a few electrical issues like the power mirrors don't work and the rear camera is out. The A/C actuator is also broken since it wont blow air through the dash vents. I can hear it grinding in there. The power steering pump is also making noise. Some of these are easy fixes but the last time my rear end needed fixed it was like $2K. They are asking $22,500. Which seems a little low but the dealer told me it is priced appropriately with the issues. Now this would be my fourth f150 and i am pretty familiar with them. I currently drive a 2011 Platinum F150 with the 5.0 and 147K on the odometer. I guess my question is, Would anyone here trade there mildly modified platinum that is well sorted for the unknown of a used Raptor? Or wait for one that seems like it wasn't rode hard and put away wet its whole life?

Last edited:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be looking at a problem, like you said, rode hard. Are there maby issues with the F150?

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FUUUUUUU CCCCKKKKKK NOOOOOO.... Run away man.

I dont care how cheap they list it. Prob is if you can already notice those things wrong off the bat then it goes to how the truck is overall. sounds liek the previous owner didnt take care of it at all. id say what you see during a test drive is only half the issues you will run into.

You would be better off just fraptoring your platinum

OP
OP
Shane33

Shane33

Reaction score

I dont care how cheap they list it. Prob is if you can already notice those things wrong off the bat then it goes to how the truck is overall. sounds liek the previous owner didnt take care of it at all. id say what you see during a test drive is only half the issues you will run into.

Thats what i was thinking. I appreciate the feedback. The price almost got me though.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some of those things are easy to fix, the damper motor for the vents is the easy one to do, 10 minute job, seems like it needs some good maintenance is all. If it's just surface rust underneath , that's not so bad either. Camera could just be the ground or if its a new camera its 4-500 to fix yourself. This truck is not for you if you are not mechanically inclined though. If you could get the dealer to fix the rear end for that price, it may not be too bad a deal, they have room to move on stuff. Probably needs a tune up, shocks rebuilt, etc. If you bought it with the rear end fixed and put a couple G's into it, it wouldn't be so bad.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

This from a guy who does complete builds, no faith 'eh! If it's a scab, you should jump on it, lol.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This from a guy who does complete builds, no faith 'eh! If it's a scab, you should jump on it, lol.
that should be even more testament to my recommendation then...lol if even i the king of buy something just to cut it up would pass on it, then maybe he should too lol.

i did think about it in that context too. like how low of a price would justify me buying the truck to use as a base to build. basically from what the OP described the cab is about the only usable part, unless the corners are rusted out, and then in that case id just go buy an xlt cab...

OP
OP
Shane33

Shane33

Reaction score
Some of those things are easy to fix, the damper motor for the vents is the easy one to do, 10 minute job, seems like it needs some good maintenance is all. If it's just surface rust underneath , that's not so bad either. Camera could just be the ground or if its a new camera its 4-500 to fix yourself. This truck is not for you if you are not mechanically inclined though. If you could get the dealer to fix the rear end for that price, it may not be too bad a deal, they have room to move on stuff. Probably needs a tune up, shocks rebuilt, etc. If you bought it with the rear end fixed and put a couple G's into it, it wouldn't be so bad.
I’d have no issue wrenching on the normal things. I could probably have most of it done in a day. The rearend is not something I wanna tackle cause backlash is not my specialty. I’m good on everything else. But it didn’t feel even close to how mine drives. But it’s also the only raptor I’d ever driven. It was definitely faster. I’m going back in the morning now just to see what they might take care of. If I don’t feel good about it I’ll just try to crumb snatch all the gen 1 suspension for my truck from you all.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d have no issue wrenching on the normal things. I could probably have most of it done in a day. The rearend is not something I wanna tackle cause backlash is not my specialty. I’m good on everything else. But it didn’t feel even close to how mine drives. But it’s also the only raptor I’d ever driven. It was definitely faster. I’m going back in the morning now just to see what they might take care of. If I don’t feel good about it I’ll just try to crumb snatch all the gen 1 suspension for my truck from you all.
See if you can find another raptor in your area to test drive. The raptor should drive better in every way than your platinum