GEN 2 Possible Transmission Issue, something else, nothing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What is your profile picture? (Just curious)

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

I picked-up a Gen2 raptor (Black Screw, 802a, Tech and a few other things) two weeks ago and after driving a couple of days, I (and my wife) started feeling the truck not delivering smooth acceleration. Though its a bit hard to put into an accurate description, when accelerating within a gear (not between shifts, which are generally pretty smooth), the power output seems to fall back momentarily and then pull again, over and over until it shifts gears and then it does it again in the new gear. Once in 10th gear, if I accelerate, the power continues surging (pulls for a second, pause, pulls for a second, pause, etc. until i back out). In sport mode with moderate to strong acceleration, its very noticeable as the individual gears stay engaged longer than in normal mode.

I've been driving it hoping its just a computer learning issue...the transmission just figuring out when to shift and that it would smooth out. However, last Friday - in normal mode, sixth gear, moderate acceleration - the transmission slipped, leaving the engine revving and no power to the wheels. It fell back into gear after the rpms fell back. The next day, I tried to recreate the slip...didn't happen. But after I changed to sport mode, and with strong acceleration, the transmission got stuck in sixth and wouldn't shift up or down until i manually shifted.

Took it back to the dealer yesterday...they ran diagnostics, but didn't find any codes related to any of the issues. They drove it, but apparently they didn't push it very hard, and said they couldn't recreate the slip/stuck gear and all seemed fine. They admit they don't have any experience with the 10 speed and really aren't sure how it should be behaving. I drove it this morning with a service manager and he finally picked-up on what I was talking about with the power delivery issue...still they say they're not sure what it is supposed to be doing. They have another raptor on the lot and will drive it to compare.

So, long story short...has anyone else noticed inconsistent power delivery on acceleration like I (so poorly) described? Anyone else experienced a slipped or stuck gear (other than the few that have reported complete trans failures)? Should a slipped or stuck gear automatically create a code?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have felt both of the issues you describe, but it was when I had <1500mi on the truck. The first issue I would describe as un-smooth acceleration. It feels like the tires are breaking loose and regaining traction repeatedly, but it happens at any speed so I know it's not the tires. It is not extremely noticeable, especially to passengers...but I could feel it in my butt. I also had an instance where I floored the throttle in a sweeping turn, and the transmission stuck in a gear (can't remember which) for a second, until I let off the gas and it shifted. I continued to accelerate normally after that. I actually got it on video but unfortunately the GoPro was mounted on the outside of the truck so the wind noise was so loud that it's hard to tell when it happened.

It has been a few weeks since those events though, and I have not felt them since. Maybe just engine/trans adapting?

OP
OP
1DXmk2

1DXmk2

Reaction score
I'm becoming convinced that it is a fuel issues like was suggested by some of the others. I'm still running the first tank of gas from the dealer. Once I fill it up with 93 octane (I'm going to run it down close to empty first so not dilute too much), it will hopefully smooth out.

As I mentioned in a post under my old id, the dealer's other raptor (that the owner is driving) was experiencing the same surging symptoms even after a couple of thousand miles on the truck...reinforces my belief that their cheap gas may be the root of the problem.

Miker397

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also in sport mode it does do some ridiculous gear holding which is annoying but seemingly normal...

Agree, sport mode is great except the harder shifts (small issue) and occasional very long gear holding after you stop accelerating (annoying as hell since you can't even upshift with the paddle without also putting it in manual wth the shifter).

SgrLndTX

Reaction score
AKA 1dmkii, the origiinal poster...
Just to close the loop on this...I finally filled-up with 93 octane after my first tank of dealer gas ran low. It cured the rough acceleration/surging issue! The truck pulls smoothly in either sport or normal mode and no sign of any hesitation. Lesson learned...never allow anyone to put cheap 87 octane gas in one of these trucks.

I also think the hesitation during acceleration may have been responsible for the transmission symptoms as the inconsistent torque delivery may have been confusing the computer...

Thanks to all that helped. It's an entirely different driving experience now and pretty much what I expected/hoped it would be when I bought it.

Last edited:

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar issue like some. The trans/engine is a little jerky at speed and shifts are noticeable down or up. Hopefully things will smooth out as it has for others. Truck only has 120 miles though. Crappy gas from dealer is not helping also.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES!!! I have been pretty concerned having felt this erratic acceleration. It's as you describe: under hard acceleration as it hits 3,000-5,000 RPM and it really bucks. It's almost like a quick slip of the tires. It's so short that I just can't believe it's the trans, which when THEY slip, it's usually a lot longer in duration to re-grab.

I'm on my second tank. Have tried different modes, traction control OFF, but nothing seems to change it.

This is definitely something only under load, since the motor purrs like a sewing machine when standing still and doing Rev tests. So, it sure doesn't seem like it's a "mis-fire".

I'm inclined to agree that the computer could be making some VERY QUICK timing/fuel adjustments to prevent detonation, but DANG...not THIS much. It almost makes me want to try putting some OCTANE BOOST in this tank.

It makes it even tougher not knowing any dealers who are "experts" with SVT/Performance vehicles!!

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES!!! I have been pretty concerned having felt this erratic acceleration. It's as you describe: under hard acceleration as it hits 3,000-5,000 RPM and it really bucks. It's almost like a quick slip of the tires. It's so short that I just can't believe it's the trans, which when THEY slip, it's usually a lot longer in duration to re-grab.

I'm on my second tank. Have tried different modes, traction control OFF, but nothing seems to change it.

This is definitely something only under load, since the motor purrs like a sewing machine when standing still and doing Rev tests. So, it sure doesn't seem like it's a "mis-fire".

I'm inclined to agree that the computer could be making some VERY QUICK timing/fuel adjustments to prevent detonation, but DANG...not THIS much. It almost makes me want to try putting some OCTANE BOOST in this tank.

It makes it even tougher not knowing any dealers who are "experts" with SVT/Performance vehicles!!

Some where on this site is a thread on this. Some of the guys had trouble with the "Dealer" gas, then they bought gas that was also bad on there next tank. If I remember correctly it was Shell gas that they where having issues with. I have almost 4000 miles on mine, after the first tank, I have only ran 93 octane in it with no issues. One thing I had to get use to is the fact that this is a 10 speed transmission and not the 6 speed I have been use to. Very big difference! I have a 65 Mustang that has 495 hp to rear wheels, aod overdrive that is built, and it shifts hard as hell under some load and full throttle, but very smoothly when just cursing. Hang in there and maybe change the brand of gas and see if you see a improvement in the truck. Good Luck!