Poor brake performance, slotted/drilled rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are that bad, try performing and "bedding in procedure" for the brake pads. Like we recommend when installing all new brake parts, get it up to 35mph and HARD brake down to 10-15mph without stopping completely. Then up to 45 and HARD brake down to 10-15mph without stopping completely. Repeat this through 65mph to get the brakes good and hot. Then ride easy until you get to a stopping point where you can let the truck sit for at least 30 minutes to allow the brakes to cool. If during or after this process you smell the brakes or see a little smoke, do not be concerned. You want them to get good and hot to properly mate to the rotors.

It is very possible that nothing like that has been done to a brand new truck right off the assembly line, so it may help some.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting Mustang braking but its almost a safety concern. Do a 0-60 blast then try and stop. I only have 300 miles as well. I was thinking performance rotors and pads if they do not improve with more miles. Some drilled rotors with a rust proof coating would be nice so the hats don't rust like the factory ones.

You're either being a drama queen or your expectations are way outside of the norm. The brakes don't even come close to being a safety concern.

I suppose the other option is you're affiliated with an after market brake producer.

OP
OP
jes.jr

jes.jr

Reaction score
After driving a Gen1 for 4 years I can tell the difference. Even compared to the other 3 cars I drive it is very noticeable. Maybe yours is different than mine. I was just looking for opinions from others before I go to the dealer or buy replacement parts. Isn't that the point of a forum?

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, here is a little information on the kits. There isn't a link to the Raptor specific kit, mainly because I haven't added a link to my website and if you call R1 directly, you may run into issues having them "build" the package for you simply because not enough of their sales reps deal with Raptors or the BBK's in general. Because of that in particular that only two people at R1 are allowed to take my calls or work with my orders in any way.

That being said, I am listing the tech specs I have available in the best way I can at the moment.

Front:

17" wheels - 330mm(12.99") 6 Piston - $2183
18" wheels - 356mm(14.02") 6 Piston - $2453
19" wheels - 380mm(14.96") 8 Piston= $2987
20" wheels - 405mm(15.94") 8 Piston - $3269

Rear:

17" wheels - 330mm(12.99") 4 Piston - $2101
18' wheels - 356mm(14.02") 4 Pistons - $2237
18" wheels - 356mm(14.02") 6 Piston - $2322
19" wheels - 365mm(14.37") 6 Piston - $2406
20" wheels - 380mm(14.96") 6 Piston - $2499

Calipers Features

• Forged Aluminum
  • 4-, 6- or 8-piston
  • 32 Color Options (15 Anodized & 17 Painted)
  • Aluminum or Stainless Steel Pistons

Rotors come in your choice of 1 piece or two piece.

Rotor Ring

• FHIGH CARBON METALLIC CASTING
  • DRILLED, SLOTTED OR DRILLED & SLOTTED
  • OPTIONAL CUSTOM ENGRAVING
  • 2-PIECE ROTOR/FLOATING HAT
  • STAGGERED & CHAMFERED HOLES
  • DIAMOND SLOT TECHNOLOGY
  • DOUBLE DISC GRINDING
  • SPLIT VANE CASTING

Rotor Hat

• Fixed OR Floating
  • Raw Finish or 15 Anodized Color Options

Much better man, looks like a decent deal!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmm

Is the R1 logo a decal or painted on? Im considering but I like the clean low key look of the calipers and would prefer black with no logo.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting Mustang braking but its almost a safety concern. Do a 0-60 blast then try and stop. I only have 300 miles as well. I was thinking performance rotors and pads if they do not improve with more miles. Some drilled rotors with a rust proof coating would be nice so the hats don't rust like the factory ones.

Much better man, looks like a decent deal!

Hmmmm

Is the R1 logo a decal or painted on? Im considering but I like the clean low key look of the calipers and would prefer black with no logo.

Ir is etched and I can make a lot of things happen where R1Concepts is concerned. Maybe have the R1Concepts logo etched as usual and color match that to the rest of the caliper since they provide the option for what color you want that logo to be.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to keep my beadlocks and I like the truck looking stock. I would swap the calipers but they need to fit the OEM wheels.
Not worth the upgrade .. the factory brakes aren't that bad, and unless you're going real big brakes I think you might be wasting money.