Poll: Does/did your 2017 Raptor leak oil.

Did your 2017 Raptor leak oil?

• No oil leak

Votes: 116 73.0%
  • Yes I had a leak

Votes: 43 27.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Minor for now. Wait until you have a leaker out of warranty...

I'd venture a guess that the majority of Gen II owner do NOT plan on keeping the truck long term, hence their enthusiastic embrace of a highly strung complicated 4V turbo V6 over a low stressed simple 2V V8. The lighter truck and 10 speed trans has definitely helped them put on the rose colored glasses when it comes to the engine bolted to those things.

OP
OP
J

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd venture a guess that the majority of Gen II owner do NOT plan on keeping the truck long term, hence their enthusiastic embrace of a highly strung complicated 4V turbo V6 over a low stressed simple 2V V8. The lighter truck and 10 speed trans has definitely helped them put on the rose colored glasses when it comes to the engine bolted to those things.

Wow, a troll being a troll.

100s and 100s of high strung V6 turbos with over 150k miles on them.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I own a 3.5L EB and I mostly like it, but I know what issues they have. I've owned pretty much every current engine that Ford makes that's not a 4 cylinder. You are delusional if you think the 3.5L EBs are consistently reliable at high mileage. Then again, you are posting about how great they are in leaking oil thread , so....

OP
OP
J

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I own a 3.5L EB and I mostly like it, but I know what issues they have. I've owned pretty much every current engine that Ford makes that's not a 4 cylinder. You are delusional if you think the 3.5L EBs are consistently reliable at high mileage. Then again, you are posting about how great they are in leaking oil thread , so....

You are delusional if you expect a vehicle with 150k miles to be maintenance free. Even Toyotas require maintenance. And so do your lovely V8s.....

27k miles so far on my "fragile" EB and not even an oil leak. And yes, I plan on keeping it past 150k miles. I am also am smart enough to expect the occasional things to go wrong with.

I keep all my cars 10+ years and every single one of them required maintenance. N/A, turbo, flat, vee, straight, gas, diesel, 4, 6, and 8, German, Japanese, etc. All of them break.

So far the only vehicle I've owned that hasn't had anything go wrong is my HO V6TT. Of couse, it is only time and no doubt something will break over the next 8 years.

Are you ready to claim that nothing has ever been repaired on your precious V8?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you ready to claim that nothing has ever been repaired on your precious V8?

So far- no. It only has 60K on it though. My last Ford V8 truck (5.4l 2V) went 145K before it was sold with no engine repairs other than a failed alternator. Anecdotal, I know.

I'd be surprised if there anything that needs repaired in the first 150K miles on a 6.2L Ford V8 engine. I'd also be surprised if there's *no* repairs needed on my 3.5EB in the first 150K miles. I fully expect at least one blown turbo, and a 50/50 shot at needing the timing components replaced.

RobertH6657

Reaction score
I don't think anyone will question that the 3.5L TT ECO is a far more complex engine than the 6.2L. The Raptor engine is the same base engine as that of the high revving Ford GT Supercar. With more moving parts operating at higher compression ratios, higher combustion temps, higher RPMs, etc each of us can reasonably expect to have more issues than a simple V8 that is normally aspirated. And some of us already are. The 3.5L is nearly half the displacement of the 6.2L and works it's ass off to put more HP and torque out than a 6.2L V8. I had a 2011 Ford F-150 LIMITED 4x4 that had the 6.2L engine in it. I loved that truck. It had 62,000 miles on it when I took it in and traded it for my new 17 Raptor. Over the course of 6 years, the 6.2L engine had no leaks, no issues. However, that transmission was a constant problem, shifted horribly from 2nd to 1st gear when taking off - banged into gear. Plus the truck was limited to 7,200 lb tow capacity (at least the Raptor is 8,000 lb) and the keyswitch in the column had to be replaced. I have had 12 Ford vehicles (including 3 that I own currently). The only two that ever went into the shop (not counting recalls) were the last two F-150s - those were the 2011 LIMITED and the 2017 Raptor. I think that it's a sign of the times that manufacturers simply don't build them as good as they used to along with making engines smaller and more complicated each year due to impending CAFE requirements. Did you know BMW does not produce a single gasoline or diesel powered vehicle that isn't turbocharged? I will say this though, I raced a 13-14 Ford Raptor (I couldn't tell the exact year) the other night and smoked him like he was standing still. Complain about the sound of the V6, but it flat smokes every other truck on the road. Every one! But plastic oil drain plugs....really???

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the 17+ Raptors are great for racing other trucks if that's your thing. However, since I don't take my truck to the drag strip and all of my cars would embarrass any Raptor on the road, having an extra hundred HP in my truck (while being less reliable and more expensive to repair) is just not a selling point for me I guess. Not that it's an extra hundred HP anyways. My Gen 1 is fast enough to do everything I need it to do.

I know the Gen IIs had no "simple and cheap to fix" engine option to choose from, but for the Gen II guys to consider any criticism of the EB engine as "trolling" is absurd. It's not as reliable as the 6.2L and it never will be.