Please Help Me Decide Between 17s and 20s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
May I ask why you recommend changing the spare even if I go with 17s?

The diameter will be identical so the only difference will be the offset.

I don't need to put 20K miles on them, I just need them to get me home.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Also, without wishing to sound like there's dune sand in my fajita ...

As much as I love Starbucks stereotypes, could anyone answer my actual question with some specifics as to what precisely I would be giving up in off road performance by using 20s instead of 17s?

20s have less sidewall. So less flex and less grip. More prone to puncture.

That said, there was a thread on here a while back on this where someone else asked the very same question (hint, hint... search) and some guys who actually send their shit off road (on 20s) chimed in. So you wouldn't be alone. But you would still be wrong.

Also, 20s will ride more rough on the road.

Plus you will look like a ******.

Just get the 17s man.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20s have less sidewall. So less flex and less grip. More prone to puncture.

That said, there was a thread on here a while back on this where someone else asked the very same question (hint, hint... search) and some guys who actually send their shit off road (on 20s) chimed in. So you wouldn't be alone. But you would still be wrong.

Also, 20s will ride more rough on the road.

Plus you will look like a ******.

Just get the 17s man.

Many people think that all Raptor owners look like douches ... did it stop you from getting yours?

No, because presumably like myself you couldn't give two poops about what random strangers think of you.

I do appreciate the off roading info though.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many people think that all Raptor owners look like douches ... did it stop you from getting yours?

I have a .50 caliber shorty antenna. Does that answer your question? :ROFLJest:

But in all seriousness, isn't there a difference between looking like a ****** to a Prius owner and looking like a ****** to a Raptor owner?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so after doing a little more research I’m leaning towards the 17s. The idea behind this truck is off road capability and it seems the 20s will compromise that more than slightly.

Thanks for the help.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
17's and also change out the spare. You want rubber when off-roading
20's if your trips are the mall and starbucks.

And if you...
- Have fuzzy dice dangling from your rear view mirror, and
- Have a fur dash cover, and
- Have lights inside your wheel wells, and
- Got your bed Line-Xed in hot pink, and
- Need I go on?

nofire

Reaction score
Man, get the 20s. They'll do just fine for most offroading situations and they do look a ton better for normal driving. Which is what you're going to be doing 95% of the time. But keep the stockers and switch to them if you feel like going out for a weekend and doing some hard off roading where you're sending it. The extra sidewall really does help on a lot of things like airing down for sand, softening the impact of landing, and protecting the rim during rock crawling.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stick with the 17’s as the experienced folks recommend. It shouldn’t even be a Question after reading just a little bit on this site.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the only reason to go bigger than 17 personally would be fitting bigger brakes than the alcons