Please Help Me Decide Between 17s and 20s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've tried searching for this but I'm a little confused by all the info so I thought I would ask directly as I need to make a decision this evening in order to have the wheel/tire setup on the truck when ADD is ready to deliver it to me in a couple of weeks.

A couple of factors:

- I will be running the SVC adjustable front leveling collar.
- This truck will see a lot of off road action in the SW.

I decided to go with a set of Rotiform 6 wheels (1mm offset) in the matte bronze and Toyo M/T.

Originally I was just going to get the 17s and call it a day, but looks wise I much prefer the 20s ... they just look so much more proportional to the size of the vehicle.

17:

Gen2-Raptor-Rotiform-SIX-OR-Bronze-1.jpg

Gen2-Raptor-Rotiform-SIX-OR-Bronze-2.jpg

20:

17--raptor-on-20--rotiform-six-or.jpg

raptor_rotiform_3.jpg

My understanding is that the stock tire equivalent of 315/70/17 is 315/60/20.

2mzikj4.jpg

The weight difference in the wheels is 7lbs.

I know I'm also giving up some 'ballooning' of the sidewall and the wheels are more likely to be damaged, but let's set that concern aside for now.

My questions:

- How much off road performance am I giving up going up to the 20s? I'm guessing the sidewall will be stiffer and the extra weight will also make the ride slightly stiffer, but is it going to limit what the truck is able to do?

- Would I need to get 5 or will the oem spare do in a pinch without messing up the truck? I could get a 1.5" spacer for it if required.

- The overall tire height goes up by 1/5". Allowing for the leveling collars, will this extra height and offset rub anywhere, including under heavy turning and articulation?

TLDR: My vanity wants 20s, my reason understands 17s, what am I giving up in off road performance by succumbing to my vanity?

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I can see to get 20s would be to get 325/60/20 tires. I don't think Toyo MTs come in that size so I would say go with 17s.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I can see to get 20s would be to get 325/60/20 tires. I don't think Toyo MTs come in that size so I would say go with 17s.

Out of curiosity, would those rub with my leveling kit and offset?

Thanks

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I actually agree with this because it's the largest size Duratrac available. Really wish Goodyear would make a larger size 17" tire.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17's and also change out the spare.

May I ask why you recommend changing the spare even if I go with 17s?

The diameter will be identical so the only difference will be the offset.

I don't need to put 20K miles on them, I just need them to get me home.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Also, without wishing to sound like there's dune sand in my fajita ...

As much as I love Starbucks stereotypes, could anyone answer my actual question with some specifics as to what precisely I would be giving up in off road performance by using 20s instead of 17s?

D

Deleted member 12951

May I ask why you recommend changing the spare even if I go with 17s?

The diameter will be identical so the only difference will be the offset.

I don't need to put 20K miles on them, I just need them to get me home.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Also, without wishing to sound like there's dune sand in my fajita ...

As much as I love Starbucks stereotypes, could anyone answer my actual question with some specifics as to what precisely I would be giving up in off road performance by using 20s instead of 17s?

What lugnuts do those wheels take, probably not stock ones. If you are not changing out the spare, carry a set of stock lugnuts with you. Also, don’t think you want to run the spare being different for a length of time. I carry two spares.

20’s with 35’s are not the best for off-roading, period. Not even sure why its even a question here.