Plastic pulley on Motorcraft belt tensioner? Damn!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new one, got it and the damn pulley is plastic. Disappointing to say the least. I'm sure it will be fine, but the original has the metal pulley, which is also a little wider. Tried the old pulley and the bearings won't fit the new shaft—machined differently. Guess the old part becomes a spare. Grrr. Just venting.

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the plastic pulley have recessed edges to help keep the belt straight? I have not yet had to do a tensioner, (thankfully) but on previous vehiles, I was able to press the old bearing out of the tensioner and replace it. Can we do that to the original tensioner?

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the plastic pulley have recessed edges to help keep the belt straight? I have not yet had to do a tensioner, (thankfully) but on previous vehiles, I was able to press the old bearing out of the tensioner and replace it. Can we do that to the original tensioner?

No, it's smooth, just like the original pulley. You can press out the bearings and replace, but that doesn't replace your tensioner spring, which fails as often as the pulley itself. They just get weak and stop doing their job.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ordered a new one, got it and the damn pulley is plastic. Disappointing to say the least. I'm sure it will be fine, but the original has the metal pulley, which is also a little wider. Tried the old pulley and the bearings won't fit the new shaft—machined differently. Guess the old part becomes a spare. Grrr. Just venting.

Wife’s Jokeswagen has composite pulleys. They’re fine. VW “composite” water pump impeller, that’s another story.