Looking for ideas on mystery noise in driver side wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I have a noise that sounds like metal windings or two metal leaf rakes rubbing or kind of like a bad AC clutch. Very noticeable when next to a wall other car or high curb. Sound is noticeable at 30 mph++ it does not make the sound idling or going slow. Doesn’t matter if it’s in 4 wheel drive or not, hitting brakes, AC on or off, shifted to neutral. I had Ford dealer look at it telling them I suspected a bad IWE. They looked at it said IWE was good and functioning properly. I also suspected it could be the brakes so I changed rotors and pads. Then I thought idler pulley and tensioner pulley so I changed them out also replacing the belt. Also had tire shop check inside tire to see if something was tumbling inside. Jacked up the wheel tried to spin fast enough to make the sound couldn’t reproduce it.
My last thoughts are alternator or possibly hub bearings but prob wouldn’t be alternator cause when I’m sitting still and reving it up no noise.
Any how I’m going a little nuts tracking this down and was wondering if anybody has gone through this. It’s a 2017 with 50k miles.
Thanks

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Alright so I have a noise that sounds like metal windings or two metal leaf rakes rubbing or kind of like a bad AC clutch. Very noticeable when next to a wall other car or high curb. Sound is noticeable at 30 mph++ it does not make the sound idling or going slow. Doesn’t matter if it’s in 4 wheel drive or not, hitting brakes, AC on or off, shifted to neutral. I had Ford dealer look at it telling them I suspected a bad IWE. They looked at it said IWE was good and functioning properly. I also suspected it could be the brakes so I changed rotors and pads. Then I thought idler pulley and tensioner pulley so I changed them out also replacing the belt. Also had tire shop check inside tire to see if something was tumbling inside. Jacked up the wheel tried to spin fast enough to make the sound couldn’t reproduce it.
My last thoughts are alternator or possibly hub bearings but prob wouldn’t be alternator cause when I’m sitting still and reving it up no noise.
Any how I’m going a little nuts tracking this down and was wondering if anybody has gone through this. It’s a 2017 with 50k miles.
Thanks

Does the sound sort of oscillate? Like on and off?

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty steady crumbling metallic sound almost like a old school bad speedometer cable. Or a few washers you would spin on a bolt.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How did they test the IWE? It’s rare but possible for it to fail in a manner where it’s never fully engaging or disengaging, and then dragging against the wheel bearing splines under low vacuum conditions.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They replaced the hose assembly going to it not sure they did anything other that to spin the wheel and see if it’s engaged or disengaged while motor is running. I do not have much faith in this dealership I have been back and forth with them more than a few times over other problems so even though I am under warranty with ESP I try to solve things myself to cut down on multiple trips there. I am a marine diesel mechanic so I have knowledge but every time I try to tell the service advisors what is going on I get the old yea yea we got it but as I leave the dealership problems are still there. I have had IWE sounding like this before in a 2011 I had so it still may be what you have suggested. Guessing I’m gonna just bring it back and try again. Thanks for your thoughts. Good thing is the sound was very faint and hard to hear in the beginning but over the last couple months it’s gotten louder so maybe the tech will be able to hear it better.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing it in again on Friday. This thing is sounding more and more like a screwed up old school speedometer cable.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting on a wheel bearing that is what everyone’s best guess is. Supposedly they just came off back order so truck is still at dealer. Crossing my fingers this is it.