Plasti Dipped my hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Purchased my terrain SCrew last week without the hood sticker. While waiting for my shop to order some army matte green, I decided to plasti Dip it myself.

2enaju7e.jpg

Tapped. Prior to taping I cleaned off the sprayed area with glass cleaner.

yzyrujub.jpg
e6e8uqe3.jpg

1st and 2nd coat

besaqy9e.jpg

Final.

Tips: I decided to just dip the raised portion of the hood. I made the mistake of spraying then letting it harden. After I thought I was finished, pulling off the tape pulled off the plasti around it. I went ahead and retaped a few cm under, resprayed and pulled of the tape while it was still wet.
If you are looking to spray the whole hood, it would be easier.

All in all, I bought 3 cans, ended up using 2 1/4 it so. It can be done in about 2 cans. Went ahead and sprayed more on the hood.

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep us posted on wear and tear. Looks good and way cheaper than a wrap!

fenderstratplayer19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a great idea. Correct me if I am wrong though- Plastic dip will peel off with no damage to paint if you don't like it?

if so, I may try this

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good.

There are lots of tips in the Plastidip=win thread.

The most important thing is prep work. make sure your surfaces are clean. When you're done, go back and clean them again with rubbing alcohol. Plastidip will stick to everything. If it's not clean, when you pull it off, the plastidip will tear and you will have little pieces stuck to the road tar like I did when I dipped my fenders.

OP
OP
BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
plasti dip comes off with no issues and no damage to the paint.

Macf you are correct. As stated, I made the mistake of letting the plasti set/harden. i carefully pulled the tape but it started ripping. I re-taped a few cm below and re-sprayed. I ended up working the old tape line, which had some jagged edges/folds, with my finger, back into the new paint. It worked. The old tape line basically dissolved back into the new spray. I was surprised on how easily it worked back in. You cant even tell i re-sprayed.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-03-2013 at 11:58 PM ----------

Also, I found plasti dip at Lowes, Home Depot, and Pep-Boys.

The website says Wal-Mart carries it, but I looked around and couldnt find it. Didnt bother to ask anyone since most wal-mart employees wouldnt know or give a crap.

HD and Lowes are a little cheaper ( $5.95 in my area) but only carry Black and White.

Pep-Boys was $6.99 but they carried a variety of colors, (lime green, baby blue, pink, etc) which i know you guys wouldnt use. They did however carrier the sealer (glossifier as they called it) and a pearling agent (dont know what that is- didnt bother).

I'm looking around for their new line of Camo colors - matte green, matte tan. But havent found any in my local area and might just buy a few cans online.