Pistol mount...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I carry appendix and used to always keep it on me, especially in the city. I now keep it holstered in the center console. I got into an accident and the seatbelt (and sudden stop) made a nice holster impression/pain in the groin area...
That always concerns me but not enough to place gun somewhere in truck.
Flip the seat belt behind the weapon, not on it.
Easier said than done. In fact, almost not doable. I've tried many times. The shoulder belt yes, can be placed behind the butt, but the lap belt will not stay as there's not enough purchase.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That always concerns me but not enough to place gun somewhere in truck.
Reason number 348 to not carry a firearm pointing at your privates. Femoral artery hits are a thing and just because it’s possible -IOW, you’ve heard about John Wayne Bobbit on the news, doesn’t mean your local trauma center is capable of that level of surgery. It’s not one size fits all either. What if you’re on a bike? No, a real bike; one that you let mature until its engine has grown and you don’t have to pedal it. A gun anywhere on your belt is likely to go ballistic in a crash, and likely to cause you a bit of damage in the process. If you go down on a bike with a handgun at anywhere from 8-10 o’clock or 2-4 o’clock, you may very well break a hard part or 2; hip, pelvis, leg are all going to do the cushioning in a crash. Small of the back is probably worse, you could end up with some bad bruising if you’re not right on the spine, or possibly worse if you keep the gun centered. Appendix is bad too, a lot of crashes end up in the superman pose while you slide along the pavement because we instinctively try to stop ourselves from a fall. Even if you’re in a riding suit. Shoulder carry is about the least viable to cause injury in a motorcycle get off. Plan for the crash, not the ride. Same for a car or or truck.

Easier said than done. In fact, almost not doable. I've tried many times. The shoulder belt yes, can be placed behind the butt, but the lap belt will not stay as there's not enough purchase.
There’s a body of thought around x-draw carry for car/truck/minivan and I have read a bit on it, but have not gotten to that point yet. I have a very good friend, retired PD, former contract driver for the “chattering class”. We went through some of the same classes together and even went so far as to put in a couple hours on this topic. We demo’d several methods of carry, but found each other method besides what we normally did - hip area, introduced some compromise we were a bit reticent to embrace.

1st is lack of familiarity and deviation from what you’ve practiced. Until you train it out, you’re going to go to the gun’s original position first. Then you have to reset, and remember where the gun is, which takes valuable time.

once you get this trained out, you have to work on deployment with your other carry method.

The way I deal with the belt is to practice getting the belt out of the way deliberately and reliably. - 2 hands to the belt, disconnect it and guide it over and out of the way. DO NOT throw it or it could bounce and get in your way again or affect your exit from the vehicle. A blue gun is great for this, where you practice deployment under the “unusual position” conditions - there’s no way to get a proper posture, stance, grip could be a challenge, so you’ve only got sight alignment, trigger press and follow through left.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Reason number 348 to not carry a firearm pointing at your privates. Femoral artery hits are a thing and just because it’s possible -IOW, you’ve heard about John Wayne Bobbit on the news, doesn’t mean your local trauma center is capable of that level of surgery. It’s not one size fits all either. What if you’re on a bike? No, a real bike; one that you let mature until its engine has grown and you don’t have to pedal it. A gun anywhere on your belt is likely to go ballistic in a crash, and likely to cause you a bit of damage in the process. If you go down on a bike with a handgun at anywhere from 8-10 o’clock or 2-4 o’clock, you may very well break a hard part or 2; hip, pelvis, leg are all going to do the cushioning in a crash. Small of the back is probably worse, you could end up with some bad bruising if you’re not right on the spine, or possibly worse if you keep the gun centered. Appendix is bad too, a lot of crashes end up in the superman pose while you slide along the pavement because we instinctively try to stop ourselves from a fall. Even if you’re in a riding suit. Shoulder carry is about the least viable to cause injury in a motorcycle get off. Plan for the crash, not the ride. Same for a car or or truck.

There’s a body of thought around x-draw carry for car/truck/minivan and I have read a bit on it, but have not gotten to that point yet. I have a very good friend, retired PD, former contract driver for the “chattering class”. We went through some of the same classes together and even went so far as to put in a couple hours on this topic. We demo’d several methods of carry, but found each other method besides what we normally did - hip area, introduced some compromise we were a bit reticent to embrace.

1st is lack of familiarity and deviation from what you’ve practiced. Until you train it out, you’re going to go to the gun’s original position first. Then you have to reset, and remember where the gun is, which takes valuable time.

once you get this trained out, you have to work on deployment with your other carry method.

The way I deal with the belt is to practice getting the belt out of the way deliberately and reliably. - 2 hands to the belt, disconnect it and guide it over and out of the way. DO NOT throw it or it could bounce and get in your way again or affect your exit from the vehicle. A blue gun is great for this, where you practice deployment under the “unusual position” conditions - there’s no way to get a proper posture, stance, grip could be a challenge, so you’ve only got sight alignment, trigger press and follow through left.

I crashed my GSXR on the freeway with 2 guns on me. Shoulder rig 1911, 4 o'clock sub compact 45 IWB. No injuries, but I bounce well.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Glad you got out unscathed. I low sided my ZX14 back a dozen + years ago. I hope I never repeat that, but after it was over I went over my gear.

My helmet took a hard hit on the chin and face shield, my suit had abrasions on my hip, knees, an elbow and shoulder. The footpeg punctured the suit behind my calf. Yikes. Gloves had palm impacts and a back hand impact.

I bounced pretty well too. After flailing at least once, I ended up on my feet... for what seemed like a few seconds but was likely less than a second and I fell right back down. I was able to get up afterwards, someone gave me a hand uprighting the bike and I rode it home. Surprisingly, only scuffs, and scrapes on fairing pieces and an exhaust pipe. I have a dedicated pocket for the handgun on the chest which was unscathed.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Well, as usual, I have to offer my sincere thanks for your continued teachings. I will now look into a way of securing in my truck and no longer AIWB carry when I drive. What method do you use? And if you mentioned it here, I’m sorry I missed it.