Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I contacted this guy through FB and spent about an hour in PMs going back and forth trying to fix my issue. He had several recommendations, but none of them really helped...at least not yet. Never asked me to buy his firmware before before helping me.

I ended up buying his firmware because I really like the themes he's produced, and keeps producing. He also added features like being able to turn on/off the the two bars individually, and music app starts up automatically when you reboot. Still playing around with other features too.

amp

Reaction score
So I contacted this guy through FB and spent about an hour in PMs going back and forth trying to fix my issue. He had several recommendations, but none of them really helped...at least not yet. Never asked me to buy his firmware before before helping me.

I ended up buying his firmware because I really like the themes he's produced, and keeps producing. He also added features like being able to turn on/off the the two bars individually, and music app starts up automatically when you reboot. Still playing around with other features too.

Very interested in hearing your feedback, specifically for these issues:

Disconnecting from BT phone call reverts back to SYNC radio:
The issue is when you're streaming music through the tablet, and then receive a BT phone call in SYNC. Once you disconnect from the phone call, the software puts you into SYNC radio and you have to re-select what you were previously listening to in the tablet. As I was reading through the posts in the FB group, it looked like someone was able to get a custom power button that replaced the "MODE" button in the radio app (in Phoenix radio app to the right of the 1,2,3,4.... channel presets). My understanding from what I read, was that you can now turn off SYNC radio (previously you couldn't because the physical power button was removed), so that after you hang up from a BT SYNC phone call, it will go back to the tablet streaming.

Steering wheel track selection buttons don't work properly:
Same issue as what has been mentioned in this tread. Advancing to the next track, advances the next song, but also mutes audio. I've noticed that double pressing the track advance works without muting the audio, but unfortunately advances 2 songs. The work around for me was advancing 1 song, and then pressing VOL+ to unmute audio.

FWIW, I upgraded my tablet from a PX6 Android 8, to their PX6 Fastboot with Android 9. The only benefit so far is that I'm not getting that slow tablet boot on cold days. Every time I start up the truck, I'm at the NOVA desktop. Downside is that I can't seem to get the top and bottom bars to hide. Tried connecting a laptop with ADB and Fastboot to the tablet, but it doesn't seem to recognize the device. Sees my cell phone just fine though. The other downside is that the steering wheel track issue since I didn't have that problem before with PX6 Android 8.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Disconnecting from BT phone call reverts back to SYNC radio:
The issue is when you're streaming music through the tablet, and then receive a BT phone call in SYNC. Once you disconnect from the phone call, the software puts you into SYNC radio and you have to re-select what you were previously listening to in the tablet. As I was reading through the posts in the FB group, it looked like someone was able to get a custom power button that replaced the "MODE" button in the radio app (in Phoenix radio app to the right of the 1,2,3,4.... channel presets). My understanding from what I read, was that you can now turn off SYNC radio (previously you couldn't because the physical power button was removed), so that after you hang up from a BT SYNC phone call, it will go back to the tablet streaming.

I don't think I can help with this one. My BT doesn't work at all. I don't use it for music though, and haven't found myself missing it for phone and texts. Hope to get it fixed one day though.

While troubeshooting issues with Sergey, it was discover I was properly set to FORD HI, but not to the settings underneath that. I think this is the source of most of my problems. I have configured for Sync 1 and not Sync 3. I've reset it and reboot several times, but no change in features. I suspect that it hasn't triggered an actual change, so I'm going to try switching it to FORD LO, somethign complete wrong, then FORD HI w/SYNC 3 and see if that helps. Since my system used to work before applying PX6 upgrade last December, I really think/hope that's the issue.

Steering wheel track selection buttons don't work properly:
Same issue as what has been mentioned in this tread. Advancing to the next track, advances the next song, but also mutes audio. I've noticed that double pressing the track advance works without muting the audio, but unfortunately advances 2 songs. The work around for me was advancing 1 song, and then pressing VOL+ to unmute audio.

Again, I'm not much help here. On mine, next track mutes volume and restarts the current song. Completely useless. Again, something I want to fix, but I've got used to using the screen to switch tracks. Again, this used to work and I think the Sync 3 config is my problem.

FWIW, I upgraded my tablet from a PX6 Android 8, to their PX6 Fastboot with Android 9. The only benefit so far is that I'm not getting that slow tablet boot on cold days. Every time I start up the truck, I'm at the NOVA desktop. Downside is that I can't seem to get the top and bottom bars to hide. Tried connecting a laptop with ADB and Fastboot to the tablet, but it doesn't seem to recognize the device. Sees my cell phone just fine though. The other downside is that the steering wheel track issue since I didn't have that problem before with PX6 Android 8.

Sergey's firmware will help here. Although I'm not sure the bootup changes, it is set to always open up to the last music app you used...or what's set as your Online Music app...not 100% sure yet. Regardless, I don't open to Nova anymore, but a useful app.

As far as the tool bar's Sergey's version adds an option to show/hide the top bar and option to show/hide the bottom toolbar. You toggle these on and off without rebooting. He's got other new options there as well, and renamed some of the old options so it's more clear what they are for.

As a bonus, I now get to claim that I have a Chinese tablet with American/Chinese/Russian software on it. It's an international effort.

Last edited:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another point...I can now make feature request to someone who might actually do something about it.

For example, the main reason I use nova launcher is because the apps list in the toolbar is horrible. If that could be cleaned up so that I could put apps in a custom order, I might drop the launcher. Even better, it would be great if there was a new option to place apps in groups I use, easily accessed from the toolbar.

I find that other than the apps already in the toolbar, I really only use food ordering apps and a couple smart home apps. So two groups would be great for me.

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see on the Facebook group it has links to 1080 or 768/800 displays. What resolution are the PX6 displays?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I discovered something over the weekend that others may find helpful. I occasional get issues with the PX6 such as the camera not coming on when it should, the steer wheel control Next button muting audio, and even no sound from anything but sync. These don't appear to be issues with any settings are not fixed with a normal reboot.

It looks like some of these issues are in the MCU or Simple Can, and will go away after they get rebooted, which doesn't get rebooted when the tablet reboots. I believe they reboot if the truck sits ideal for a long period of time, 24 hours or more, but that's not practical. A way to force a reboot is just to reapply the latest MCU and/or SimpleCan updates.

I was having trouble with the wheel buttons and audio not playing from the tablet. I considered disconnecting the battery as an option, but didn't want to mess with that or have other truck features. Reapply the MCU and Simple Can resolved my glitches and got me back to 'normal'.

kilthro

Reaction score
I have seen that, its the same duration that the sync /ecu would remain on.. Usually no more than 10 min after key off.. I usually lock the doors after turning the key off to expedite that. If you are sitting in the truck, you can hear when it cyles off as the cluster and other item click/move as it powers off. Typically a few minutes is all that is needed.. Sometimes it longer sometimes shorter.. it has a mind of its own i feel like. I would be careful flashing all the time. You are asking for more severe problems to occur or even worse corruption/failure of the flash chip..

BDF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I upgraded from the px3 to the px6, are you saying there is now a px6 fastboot I can upgrade to?

Is it better about going back to where I left off? Mine has a mind of it's own when I turn on the ignition, no idea what I'll get. Usually tho, have to touch the console icon or nothing