Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can it be so inconsistent?

Latest px6, and latest upgrades

Gtibbot

Reaction score
Anyone else have different results every time they start the truck?

It could:

Go back to where I started (ideal)
Reboot, truck pic "android" etc.
No reboot but only go to console screen, may or may not have audio til I change the channel

I'd really like to just have it go back to where I left off, odd because it may do what I want when the truck is off for a week, or may reboot in when the truck is off for 5 minutes

Yep, I get the same thing. That is one the reason's I haven't used tasker to hide the top icons. I'm using those top icons to quickly switch to console (Sync) and back to Nova launcher.

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can it be so inconsistent?

Latest px6, and latest upgrades
I don’t know. Just poorly written software. I still take it over stock. If only the screen wouldnt go blank and the tablet go unresponsive after an hour or so of YouTube playing I’d be happy. Although I’m not convinced it isn’t a problem/conflict with the wireless CarPlay dongle I have. Better than the older firmware where the tablet would just get super slow and laggy, like it was overheating or had a memory leak or something. A reboot fixes it, but then it blanks out again within 10 minutes if I go back to YouTube. Have to turn the truck off and let it sit for awhile, then it works again for another hour-hour and a half.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, I get the same thing. That is one the reason's I haven't used tasker to hide the top icons. I'm using those top icons to quickly switch to console (Sync) and back to Nova launcher.

I was hoping that hiding the bars would help with some apps (mostly Amazon music) display images correctly. It didn't. I do like the way the screen looks better without the bars, but I find that I miss not seeing the AC temp and volume levels on the lower task bar.

In other news, I got a response on one of my tickets with Phoenix. The basically said that they weren't going to provide any troubleshooting assistance, but I was welcome to exchange the unit for a replacement. That may sound great on the surface, but I would have to remove mine and go without till the replacement comes in, or provide a security deposit till I return their old unit. As well, I don't think I have hardware issues, just software and settings. This sounds like a lot of work for little chance of good results.

I'm leaning towards trying out the software provided by that FB guy mentioned a while back. Not crazy about the cost, but if he can fix the issues I see, and provide an improved UI, it will be worth it. It's worth asking questions.

kilthro

Reaction score
I have done the exchange process before. You do either take it out, send it back wait for replacement with no deposit needed or you put down a deposit, they ship a new one, you swap them out and then send old one back for the return of money.. Now when I had the px3 system. I had some issues that i really thought were software related but they insisted on replacing it. I did the deposit path as i didnt want to rip things apart and have nothing there for days... or put old sync 3 back in and then pull it back out.. Over the course of 6 weeks, i had three units sent to me that i sent right back to them and never accepted them as a replacement. There were all kinds of defects such as scratched screens, cracks in the plastic bezel around the screen etc.. Since my screen and bezel was perfect, i was not accepting those. I finally asked for my money back and I did a format/wipe of both phoenix software with the latest as well as factory reset within android, flashed mcu and can updates and all my issues went away. Thank god i didnt have to keep the replacements and I should have done that from the get-go... YMMV but beware your replacement will be a refurb unit that has been used before and may not be in the same condition.

kilthro

Reaction score
I was hoping that hiding the bars would help with some apps (mostly Amazon music) display images correctly. It didn't. I do like the way the screen looks better without the bars, but I find that I miss not seeing the AC temp and volume levels on the lower task bar.

In other news, I got a response on one of my tickets with Phoenix. The basically said that they weren't going to provide any troubleshooting assistance, but I was welcome to exchange the unit for a replacement. That may sound great on the surface, but I would have to remove mine and go without till the replacement comes in, or provide a security deposit till I return their old unit. As well, I don't think I have hardware issues, just software and settings. This sounds like a lot of work for little chance of good results.

I'm leaning towards trying out the software provided by that FB guy mentioned a while back. Not crazy about the cost, but if he can fix the issues I see, and provide an improved UI, it will be worth it. It's worth asking questions.

I thought about his software as well. Just wish i could test/see it to confirm as it may react differently for people depending on their setup... 100$ for a luck of faith is quite a bit for me... 90% of mine is great on my px6.. just that when i advance a track at times not all times, it mutes the sound and i have to unmute. when it starts happening, i have to hold down next or previous track for a few seconds before releasing so it doesnt mute the sound.. now sometimes all works as it should.. other than that, every time i reboot it, i do see the booting into safe mode message that I am not sure what all that means as I see no diff.. but never happened before and it will not go away.. rest of the unit works fine.. never had major issues of blank screens, black cameras etc.. all of that works fine.. *knock on wood*

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have done the exchange process before. You do either take it out, send it back wait for replacement with no deposit needed or you put down a deposit, they ship a new one, you swap them out and then send old one back for the return of money.. Now when I had the px3 system. I had some issues that i really thought were software related but they insisted on replacing it. I did the deposit path as i didnt want to rip things apart and have nothing there for days... or put old sync 3 back in and then pull it back out.. Over the course of 6 weeks, i had three units sent to me that i sent right back to them and never accepted them as a replacement. There were all kinds of defects such as scratched screens, cracks in the plastic bezel around the screen etc.. Since my screen and bezel was perfect, i was not accepting those. I finally asked for my money back and I did a format/wipe of both phoenix software with the latest as well as factory reset within android, flashed mcu and can updates and all my issues went away. Thank god i didnt have to keep the replacements and I should have done that from the get-go... YMMV but beware your replacement will be a refurb unit that has been used before and may not be in the same condition.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the exchange program. I absolutely don't want to go down that path now.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought about his software as well. Just wish i could test/see it to confirm as it may react differently for people depending on their setup... 100$ for a luck of faith is quite a bit for me...

I understand that sentiment. I sent him a PM listing out the issues I'm having and won't buy and till I see how he responds to fixing them. If he seems like he's aware of people having that issue and seems confident that he can fix then I'll fill much better about it. I may go with him even if he makes no promises, as I've learned to live with the issues I have. I really like that he has built some nice themes, looks like he's built an actual equalizer, and I don't know what else. Also appears that your $100 gets you future features he builds as well.

90% of mine is great on my px6.. just that when i advance a track at times not all times, it mutes the sound and i have to unmute. when it starts happening, i have to hold down next or previous track for a few seconds before releasing so it doesnt mute the sound.. now sometimes all works as it should.. other than that, every time i reboot it, i do see the booting into safe mode message that I am not sure what all that means as I see no diff.. but never happened before and it will not go away.. rest of the unit works fine.. never had major issues of blank screens, black cameras etc.. all of that works fine.. *knock on wood*

I have that same issue with the next/prev track. I hadn't thought about trying a long press. I'll try that out.

kilthro

Reaction score
I understand that sentiment. I sent him a PM listing out the issues I'm having and won't buy and till I see how he responds to fixing them. If he seems like he's aware of people having that issue and seems confident that he can fix then I'll fill much better about it. I may go with him even if he makes no promises, as I've learned to live with the issues I have. I really like that he has built some nice themes, looks like he's built an actual equalizer, and I don't know what else. Also appears that your $100 gets you future features he builds as well.

I have that same issue with the next/prev track. I hadn't thought about trying a long press. I'll try that out.

If you go down the path of his firmware, i would take pics of all the settings screen, normal, user set etc.. export them/back them up so when you install his firmware and have to reconfigure of the main settings so the unit works, you can do so easily etc.. protocols, vehicle type etc are the big ones.... just a suggestion. I did that when I did the format upgrade losing everything with phoenix and it helped that process be very simple so i could be back up and running asap.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you go down the path of his firmware, i would take pics of all the settings screen, normal, user set etc.. export them/back them up so when you install his firmware and have to reconfigure of the main settings so the unit works, you can do so easily etc.. protocols, vehicle type etc are the big ones.... just a suggestion. I did that when I did the format upgrade losing everything with phoenix and it helped that process be very simple so i could be back up and running asap.

Yes, that's good advice. I've done that as well, and even putting my settings on that Google spreadsheet that's linked in this thread. However, I don't think my settings are all correct, so it's not 100% useful.