Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When running AA thru the Sync3, it is just the size of the Sync3 display.

Since I opted for the AA and Apple Car Play addons when I ordered, there is an app that launches when plugged into the Tablet USB cables. AA opens in full screen (sort of) and is larger than when displayed inside the Sync3. I will get a photo as soon as I can this evening or in the morning. I have seen that some users had black bars above and below making it sort of a letterbox effect with AA in the middle of the screen. Mine had a little over 2/3 of the screen and aligned to the top of the screen. The app portion was larger but there are the words Android Auto under the app display area. Now you can also put it into split screen. I put it on top and then YouTube Music on the bottom and that worked really well.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation! That'll help my decision.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys put a screen protector on your PX6? I saw in another thread that people were using NuShield screen protectors (Day view model) on their stock 8" Sync3 screens.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When running AA thru the Sync3, it is just the size of the Sync3 display.

Since I opted for the AA and Apple Car Play addons when I ordered, there is an app that launches when plugged into the Tablet USB cables. AA opens in full screen (sort of) and is larger than when displayed inside the Sync3. I will get a photo as soon as I can this evening or in the morning. I have seen that some users had black bars above and below making it sort of a letterbox effect with AA in the middle of the screen. Mine had a little over 2/3 of the screen and aligned to the top of the screen. The app portion was larger but there are the words Android Auto under the app display area. Now you can also put it into split screen. I put it on top and then YouTube Music on the bottom and that worked really well.

I'm not sure I get the value of the AA option with this radio. I mean, it's already an android tablet, so there isn't anything on AA that you can't get through the tablet itself, right? AA is essentially navigation, audio, and phone.

In a setup without wifi, I can see the value since the tablet couldn't do 2 of those 3 things. Otherwise, is it just a UI preference? I get that AA is less cluttered, bigger fonts and all, but I find the UI rather annoying myself. Is it so that the non-primary driver can connect their android as well?

Carplay is a different matter, since there could be a preference for Apple's interface.

As an aside, since both sync 3 and the tablet are both bluetooth capable, you should be able to connect one phone to sync 3 and a second phone to the tablet, receiving and making calls from both phones. True? If so, which connection wins if calls are made/received at the same time?

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got shipping confirmation on mine! Unfortunately it’s all in Chinese so no clue what the ETA is. Lol

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got shipping confirmation on mine! Unfortunately it’s all in Chinese so no clue what the ETA is. Lol
Usually (I have had mine) show on 17Track or something like that. All have been shipped via DHL. Once you have the full tracking number you should be able to go to the carrier website to track and request notifications as well.

17Track had an option to show various languages IIRC.

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get the value of the AA option with this radio. I mean, it's already an android tablet, so there isn't anything on AA that you can't get through the tablet itself, right? AA is essentially navigation, audio, and phone.

In a setup without wifi, I can see the value since the tablet couldn't do 2 of those 3 things. Otherwise, is it just a UI preference? I get that AA is less cluttered, bigger fonts and all, but I find the UI rather annoying myself. Is it so that the non-primary driver can connect their android as well?

Carplay is a different matter, since there could be a preference for Apple's interface.

As an aside, since both sync 3 and the tablet are both bluetooth capable, you should be able to connect one phone to sync 3 and a second phone to the tablet, receiving and making calls from both phones. True? If so, which connection wins if calls are made/received at the same time?
Mel,

For me the value is more for testing various scenarios when I have time. I like to dig deeper into tech things and see what may be possible in different situations, whether I use them or not later.

Sync3 handles AA and Carplay just fine and within the form factor of the factory unit. So far with my limited time to test, using AA thru the tablet instead of thru the Sync3 system is just a bit different. Not as much now that the split screen setup works much better than the PX3 unit which crashed often and many apps did not like being put into split screen. CarPlay I have not yet tried as I have to borrow an iPhone to do it. In general though AA and CarPlay do mostly the same things but just a little different, like Siri or Google Assistant, native nav for Apple maps or Google Maps or Was or ....

Later this summer AA is getting a major update to its capabilities and the UI revision is going to be so much better than it is now. Visually I have like CarPlay better but since I have a Note9 I of course don't use it. There of course other apps that can pull together information and functions similar to AA with some really nice interfaces. On the PX3 I had crash issues constantly with the 3 apps I tried so stopped trying on the PX3 (really just not enough time). I will be trying some things with the PX6 version including the Torque app and others.

vazo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the PX6 allow you to retain the use of the 2 stock USB ports located in the console tray?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

amp

Reaction score
Another thing to add regarding choosing to use AA (or Carplay) vs the built-in apps on the tablet would be the data connection. AA already has the data connection through your phone and just displays it on the tablet which is nice and tidy, vs the built-in apps need a wifi hotspot to get full functionality.

It would be great if the tablet could natively use your cell phone's data connection when connected through USB.

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the PX6 allow you to change the wallpaper at least? Tired of looking at a ferris wheel and some buildings at night.