Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gtibbot

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member, but I've been following the px6 thread for awhile. I pulled the trigger and installed this a few days ago. Huge upgrade in my opinion.

Had a question, what's everyone doing for getting wifi to the unit? I've been looking at the Verizon him or at&t spark, also looking at a mobile hotspot, I've hooked it up to my phones hotspot, but just to weak of signal.

Suggestions???

I have 50gb per month hotspot for my phone as part of my Sprint plan. Sprint data in my area is not very good, so I purchased the At&t Spark.

The Spark device starts when the truck is turned on. When my wife drives the truck without me, this saves me from explaining to her that she has to turn on her phones hotspot :)

Gtibbot

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here, have a 2016 f150 xlt with the Phoenix px6 HU upgrade.

Following along and thought I’d share something spectacular that I just came across. I found someone who was able to hid the bars! Check out the video.

You can reach the developer of this mod at [email protected]. Please don’t ask me for the changes as I feel this is his work and rightfully should be compensated for such. I donated, but he humbly did not set a price for the mod.

My next adventure is to find someone that can help/direct me to building my own apps for the unit. I specifically am looking for how an app calls or sends data to the can bus through the MCU. Tried to request info from Phoenix and they just closed the ticket with no response... lol. If anyone out there has the command or api structure for the canbus I’d be interested in paying for the info.

Thanks all for the hard work and coordination on these units!

At 1st, the top icon's bugged the crap out of me. Now I found them useful for task switching, but I do wish we could delete or add icons as needed.

David Campman

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this to us!

Can you answer a couple question about this mod?

Can it be undone/removed easily?
Has it been test on Raptors with auto air, and if not, what about how the mod works gives me comfort that it won't break my unit?
Is Phoenix Automotive aware of this?

I imagine the developer can answer those questions, if you're not sure.

The menu's don't bother me nearly as much as they used to, since they are more customized after the latest update. The biggest issue I have is that some apps (Amazon music) at least doesn't display some images properly because of the bars.

I agree, this was a simple modification that I'm still impartial about. I didn't like the bars above or below because I did lose screen space for amazon prime video or other apps (I don't watch while driving but do spend time in the truck off the road and it is a nice app to have) The main drawback is the home button not being directly accessible without swiping. I didn't think I would miss a home button on a tablet but now I see why it is a crucial design element on most devices out there.

To answer your questions:
I believe the setting can be undone as easily as it was done.
I cannot speak to its functionality on other units, however based on the nature of the modification I believe it would not be an issue at all. If someone has a unit that they would like to test, I'm sure the dev wouldn't mind answering/testing this to verify. the change doesn't root the device.
I also don't believe phoenix is aware of this change. I'm sure they know it is possible again based on the nature of the change.

I am a tinkerer, and cannot resist personalizing devices I interact with to get the best experience. This HU for me must operate easily with minimal interaction since it lives within an already attention demanding environment. I love the screen and the customization of the android OS, however the interface does seem to be a little clunky with duplicate applications that don't work and or small windows for user selection.

Id like to add I'm being very picky about the UI on this unit. Ultimately I bought this unit for the hardware. I don't discount Phoenix's hard work in software development, but just do not like being tied to a single manufacture's UI decisions when it comes to something I have to safely interact with. I'm that guy who doesn't like any other auto manufacture NAV or radio interface because there are always limitations. If I can make this unit fit my style of operation in my vehicle a little better, its a bonus!

amp

Reaction score
I agree, this was a simple modification that I'm still impartial about. I didn't like the bars above or below because I did lose screen space for amazon prime video or other apps (I don't watch while driving but do spend time in the truck off the road and it is a nice app to have) The main drawback is the home button not being directly accessible without swiping. I didn't think I would miss a home button on a tablet but now I see why it is a crucial design element on most devices out there.

To answer your questions:
I believe the setting can be undone as easily as it was done.
I cannot speak to its functionality on other units, however based on the nature of the modification I believe it would not be an issue at all. If someone has a unit that they would like to test, I'm sure the dev wouldn't mind answering/testing this to verify. the change doesn't root the device.
I also don't believe phoenix is aware of this change. I'm sure they know it is possible again based on the nature of the change.

I am a tinkerer, and cannot resist personalizing devices I interact with to get the best experience. This HU for me must operate easily with minimal interaction since it lives within an already attention demanding environment. I love the screen and the customization of the android OS, however the interface does seem to be a little clunky with duplicate applications that don't work and or small windows for user selection.

Id like to add I'm being very picky about the UI on this unit. Ultimately I bought this unit for the hardware. I don't discount Phoenix's hard work in software development, but just do not like being tied to a single manufacture's UI decisions when it comes to something I have to safely interact with. I'm that guy who doesn't like any other auto manufacture NAV or radio interface because there are always limitations. If I can make this unit fit my style of operation in my vehicle a little better, its a bonus!

So with this modification, do you get more map real estate on waze or google maps, or does it replace it with a black bar (like a letterbox effect)? Also, does the Sync3 passthrough image become larger, justify itself to the top of the tablet screen, or is there a black bar to keep the sync3 screen ratio the same size/location?

Personally, I think it the apps and the home page look a lot cleaner without the menus, but to know that they're always there if you ever need them is a big plus.

Very nice find!

David Campman

Reaction score
Yes sir, every app is full screen now. When you swipe up or down from the top or bottom, the bars show up over the apps like they would on a regular tablet or phone.

I dont have Sync3, only sync2. My truck is the xlt with manual ac and the 4” screen.

Pandora has some weird white space at the top, so I assume other apps might too. But everything I use, including CarPlay works full screen.

Let me know if there is any app that you would like to see. I’ll throw it on here and send you a pic.
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

amp

Reaction score
Yes sir, every app is full screen now. When you swipe up or down from the top or bottom, the bars show up over the apps like they would on a regular tablet or phone.

I dont have Sync3, only sync2. My truck is the xlt with manual ac and the 4” screen.

Pandora has some weird white space at the top, so I assume other apps might too. But everything I use, including CarPlay works full screen.

Let me know if there is any app that you would like to see. I’ll throw it on here and send you a pic.
View attachment 134315
View attachment 134320 View attachment 134316 View attachment 134317

View attachment 134318

Wow! That's all I needed to see. It looks fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to put that up. I sent an email to the guy, so hopefully he responds and can help me out.

abearsfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here, have a 2016 f150 xlt with the Phoenix px6 HU upgrade.

Following along and thought I’d share something spectacular that I just came across. I found someone who was able to hid the bars! Check out the video.

You can reach the developer of this mod at [email protected]. Please don’t ask me for the changes as I feel this is his work and rightfully should be compensated for such. I donated, but he humbly did not set a price for the mod.

My next adventure is to find someone that can help/direct me to building my own apps for the unit. I specifically am looking for how an app calls or sends data to the can bus through the MCU. Tried to request info from Phoenix and they just closed the ticket with no response... lol. If anyone out there has the command or api structure for the canbus I’d be interested in paying for the info.

Thanks all for the hard work and coordination on these units!

Not to sure if I would install something from russia...?

abearsfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, I installed my system over a month ago and had some growing pains, I wanted to get it back to the way it was when shipped.

I noticed that there are at least 3 different "current" px6.zip files out there.

I downloaded all three and noticed that the file sizes are different on some files, specifically the oem.new.dat.br, system.new.dat.br, and the vendor.new.dat.br files. I installed the latest one in the thread and that turned off my camera, the screen switched like it was going to the camera but it went to the console view with a blank sync 3 screen.

I then downloaded the files on page 50 post#500 and that seemed to do the trick. My camera works like it should. I installed the launcher but did not set it as the default as I like to see the open door pop-up when they're open. ..still playing with the settings to learn the results with different settings.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a floating home button app work?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you're asking if you should develop a floating home button to go along with the full screen/hidden nav bar, then YES!!

Too bad these run Oreo. I think the gestures from Android 10 would be very useful with the full screen mod