Phoenix Android Audio retains Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have a ‘17, I plan to use a WiFi hotspot obd2 from AT&T with unlimited data to unlock the full potential of the tablet. Streaming music, real time navigation...

After pulling everything last week to run USB ports up to the dash and watching the install videos it definitely seems easy enough.

I have a ‘17 as well; what are the benefits to going with an OBD2 hotspot over, for example, a regular one in the console?

Also, do we still lose the sync app remote start and satellite radio with this version of the android system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you lose nothing but a volume and tune knob. You have to use the steering wheel for that moving forward

Other than that you gain the tablet, et. Al.

The obd2 makes sense for me because it’s inconspicuous, it’s powered when the truck is powered, and it’s unlimited data for 30 bucks. I don’t need it to be portable beyond my vehicle.

I never have to worry about connecting a phone hotspot or that nonsens. Truck will start. WiFi will power on and simultaneously the tablet will connect to it . All seamless and hidden away.

After pulling everything last week to run USB ports up to the dash and watching the install videos it definitely seems easy enough.

I have a ‘17 as well; what are the benefits to going with an OBD2 hotspot over, for example, a regular one in the console?

Also, do we still lose the sync app remote start and satellite radio with this version of the android system?

Drifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks again for leading the way on this!

Drifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be the kid waiting for Christmas to come, but... how long did it take you guys to receive the screen from the time you ordered it??

BoostinFD

Reaction score
Dumb question... but what is the obd2 hotspot? I didn't know there is one that would plug into the obd2 port... or maybe i'm confusing it with something else. Thanks!

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question... but what is the obd2 hotspot? I didn't know there is one that would plug into the obd2 port... or maybe i'm confusing it with something else. Thanks!
IIRC Ford has a SmartLink obd2 device that can be installed at the dealer for vehicle builds that do not have a built in 3G/4G WiFi hotspot already. I looked yesterday since I have Verizon> If I did not have the technology package that includes the builtin WiFi capability, then I could have added the SmartLink and when the trial was over, activated it thru Verizon. But...Since I have the built in version I would have to get an ATT account setup or do what I am planning and using my phones hotspot if needed. Maybe later I will see how much I actually use to see if it is worth paying for an ATT account just for it.

BoostinFD

Reaction score
IIRC Ford has a SmartLink obd2 device that can be installed at the dealer for vehicle builds that do not have a built in 3G/4G WiFi hotspot already. I looked yesterday since I have Verizon> If I did not have the technology package that includes the builtin WiFi capability, then I could have added the SmartLink and when the trial was over, activated it thru Verizon. But...Since I have the built in version I would have to get an ATT account setup or do what I am planning and using my phones hotspot if needed. Maybe later I will see how much I actually use to see if it is worth paying for an ATT account just for it.

How does one know if it's installed? Is it part of a package or only comes on specific years?

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I found it is a dealer installed option. For anyone who has an older vehicle before they added WiFi as a factory option or a newer vehicle that did not have a tech package/option that included 3G (older) or 4G (newer) WiFi installed from the factory. So if you don't have it 3G/4G Wifi available on your current vehicle, you can very likely get the SmartLink OBD installed at the dealer. The SmartLink device does more than just WiFi. It links to Ford Pass to allows the remote features you would get with the technology package but a lot cheaper for those that do not want everything that the tech package gives you.

mata

Reaction score
does anybody knows how long will the discount code 'happypig will last?