Perch Mod vs Leveling Kit Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know there are people here that freak out over spacers I don’t know why. I have read plenty of people having problems on mid perch top perch… No magic elixir here this is what it is. The spacer you received is a 1.25 inch spacer. So it did not go up two inches. If this really concerns you I don’t know why nobody recommends limiting straps as this will illuminate the over reach caused by the spacer. If you have to replace the axle assembly it is about 375 from Ford I bought one for my last truck.. This is per side but in reality I don’t know what you intend to do with your truck. Comfort in the ride is my primary goal and is first on my needs list. So spacers serve a purpose to increase ride height (slightly less lift then the mid perch mod) without preloading the springs. I have examined mine closely as I want to be able to say ok it lasted this long before a problem and the determine are the mid perch guys getting to the same mileage and off road use before they have problems…
5000 miles on my spacers no problems I have off road this thing about 1200 miles of the 5000. So I know there are doom Sayers on this site and I **** people off by saying I think spacers are fine . Have disassembled the front end twice for inspections and no issues.. But most importantly take it back to the shop you bought it from ask for an in writing warranty if it makes you nervous. And I have a 2012 with Torsion axle if you care. Don’t be angry at me it is my opinion based on my experience...

Swanamaker

Reaction score
I know there are people here that freak out over spacers I don’t know why. I have read plenty of people having problems on mid perch top perch… No magic elixir here this is what it is. The spacer you received is a 1.25 inch spacer. So it did not go up two inches. If this really concerns you I don’t know why nobody recommends limiting straps as this will illuminate the over reach caused by the spacer. If you have to replace the axle assembly it is about 375 from Ford I bought one for my last truck.. This is per side but in reality I don’t know what you intend to do with your truck. Comfort in the ride is my primary goal and is first on my needs list. So spacers serve a purpose to increase ride height (slightly less lift then the mid perch mod) without preloading the springs. I have examined mine closely as I want to be able to say ok it lasted this long before a problem and the determine are the mid perch guys getting to the same mileage and off road use before they have problems…
5000 miles on my spacers no problems I have off road this thing about 1200 miles of the 5000. So I know there are doom Sayers on this site and I **** people off by saying I think spacers are fine . Have disassembled the front end twice for inspections and no issues.. But most importantly take it back to the shop you bought it from ask for an in writing warranty if it makes you nervous. And I have a 2012 with Torsion axle if you care. Don’t be angry at me it is my opinion based on my experience...

Thanks I don't want to change anything to be perfectly honest, I love the "stance" of my truck now and I have no immediate plans to go jumping mud holes in the woods anytime soon, actually look forward to possibly driving on the beach this coming summer so I just posted I had this on the newbie page and everyone started saying for me to get rid of it.......I don't know? Now I am waiting until Monday to call the shop and ask some specific questions......thanks for your input as well.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Limit straps would reduce your travel 1.5-2.0 inches. What Raptor owner is looking to REDUCE suspension travel? In reality you can get by with spacers depending on how you use the truck. Have you tried popping the upper ball joint apart at full droop with the spacer kit on? I bet it would surprise you how tightly the upper ball joint is pulled in tension.

The perch mod does/can cause issues but not near to the extent of the spacer kit.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am addressing the statement that spacers are bad period. I have pulled the entire axles out and inspected them little wear but it is only 1200 miles. A limiting strap you would put it on only to stop the suspension from going to far as stated in other posts this is what the problem with spacers are. So yes reduce suspension travel by the 1 to 1.25 inch I increased with the spacer... But that addresses the it drops to far and other than thst issue it is no different than mid perch but I dont preload the springs reducing the travel by almost 2 inches doing the perch... And yes I ahve looked very closely at the axles and when 4 wheeling I am careful to observe drop offs to avoid the dreaded over extension... So a limiting strap makes sense in this scenario...

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am addressing the statement that spacers are bad period. I have pulled the entire axles out and inspected them little wear but it is only 1200 miles. A limiting strap you would put it on only to stop the suspension from going to far as stated in other posts this is what the problem with spacers are. So yes reduce suspension travel by the 1 to 1.25 inch I increased with the spacer... But that addresses the it drops to far and other than thst issue it is no different than mid perch but I dont preload the springs reducing the travel by almost 2 inches doing the perch... And yes I ahve looked very closely at the axles and when 4 wheeling I am careful to observe drop offs to avoid the dreaded over extension... So a limiting strap makes sense in this scenario...

I realize you're trying to address why or why not spacers are bad, and in doing so also trying to compare it to the perch mod. You asked why people didn't suggest limit straps and I answered with a why. No ones looking to reduce suspension travel, other wise they missed the point of this truck.. You gain droop that the spacer gave you while loosing an equal amount of compression in return. Limiting that droop to the factory parameters sacrifices overal travel. Most kits state about two inches of height increase so expect two inches of travel decrease with straps. I just don't see raptor owners going for that when ford only gave us an extra 4 inches of travel over the stock f150 to begin with. From a comparative standpoint I would agree once strapped, excluding the loss of wheel travel results, a spacer and perch would be equally as hard on parts. You don't reduce overall travel by moving the perch. You shift where the chassis rides within that travel span, giving it more up travel and less droop. But stock benefits having more up travel anyways.

wolfmann21

Reaction score
Totally random, and yeah I'm a noob here...

But love how BigJ does write-ups lol. It's like the other forum we have in common, except with trucks instead of wagons :)

Tons of pics, tons of info, tons of me going "well hell, guess now I know to do/not do __________" (fill in the blank)

Dkyle1220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my dad surprised me and put a leveling kit on my truck when it went in for spray in Bedliner I'm guessing I need to get this removed and get my perch adjusted ASAP?