Perch Mod Discussion

Mid perch or no?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charles06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JDUB,

If you have not gotten an alignment yet, and are still experiencing that darting feeling, most likely your toe is out of spec. I've driven sports cars as much as trucks over the years, and you can feel more of the alignment changes with sports cars.

If your toe is in a bit, then you hit a bump, it will push the toe out, essentially turning the vehicle the other way, causing the car/truck to dart. Setting the toe closest to zero makes a vehicle more neutral. Setting the toe in will cause a faster, more responsive turn-in, but you will feel the bumps move the car more.

Now, you might be thinking that even if the toe is set to zero, won't it still bounce out when you hit a bump mid-corner? Well yes, but you start the corner in a neutral position, so mid-corner bumps are not felt as much.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Charles

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JDUB,

If you have not gotten an alignment yet, and are still experiencing that darting feeling, most likely your toe is out of spec. I've driven sports cars as much as trucks over the years, and you can feel more of the alignment changes with sports cars.

If your toe is in a bit, then you hit a bump, it will push the toe out, essentially turning the vehicle the other way, causing the car/truck to dart. Setting the toe closest to zero makes a vehicle more neutral. Setting the toe in will cause a faster, more responsive turn-in, but you will feel the bumps move the car more.

Now, you might be thinking that even if the toe is set to zero, won't it still bounce out when you hit a bump mid-corner? Well yes, but you start the corner in a neutral position, so mid-corner bumps are not felt as much.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Charles

Thanks Charles! :happy107: That makes all the sense in the world!

Just purchased the new alignment cams, so going to have my guys install them at the same time they align it. Going to have it aligned to Pirate Air's specs.

SVTBuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine a few weeks ago and am glad I did it. I bought the spring compressors off Amazon for about $40 (2 trips to autozone to rent and return would almost cost that in gas). I followed the RPG video and it took 2 hrs for the first side, which included a trip to the hardware store for 8mm and 18mm flat ratcheting wrenches for the sway bar bolts. The tie rod bolt was also a some work to get back on since the threads were a little munged up. The second side took under 30 min. including putting the tools away. I used some anti-seize on the spring compressor threads and slathered on a bit too much. That shit gets on everything.

I did an alignment after and it did need adjustment. I have the lifetime alignment from Firestone. I had an alignment done about five months prior and hadn't done any offroading or other abuse, so the difference from five months ago is mostly due to the mid perch. I took pics of the alignment from five months prior and after mid-perch and the toe was off as you can see. No cam bolts needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371192626.031849.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371192626.031849.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 82
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371192642.648093.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371192642.648093.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 69