PD1744's Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic of the radio. Nothing too exciting, but I did use a magnetic mic mount which is pretty nifty:

IMG_7741.JPG

And after a little over 3 and half months, the Deavers finally showed up. And like a crazy person, I tackled the install solo. Do not recommend. Those things are heavy and awkward. Got er done though, and very happy with ride so far:

IMG_7755.JPG

I referenced this thread which was helpful, but few notes:
- I didn't need to order new front bolts (but already had) as the Deavers come with brand new cut-down bolts
- You also don't need to transfer over the upper u-bolt plate as the Deavers come with them already

Discovered a leaky axle seal while I was under there, so that sucks. Especially since I just did the diff fluid last year and that oil is super expensive. While ordering expensive fluid, I figured I'd go ahead and get some more Mercon LV and a transmission filter, even though I recently had the tranny fluid flushed as well.

Low speed bumping has not gone away completely with the new leaves, but has dissipated somewhat.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pic of the radio. Nothing too exciting, but I did use a magnetic mic mount which is pretty nifty:

View attachment 325452

And after a little over 3 and half months, the Deavers finally showed up. And like a crazy person, I tackled the install solo. Do not recommend. Those things are heavy and awkward. Got er done though, and very happy with ride so far:

View attachment 325454

I referenced this thread which was helpful, but few notes:
- I didn't need to order new front bolts (but already had) as the Deavers come with brand new cut-down bolts
- You also don't need to transfer over the upper u-bolt plate as the Deavers come with them already

Discovered a leaky axle seal while I was under there, so that sucks. Especially since I just did the diff fluid last year and that oil is super expensive. While ordering expensive fluid, I figured I'd go ahead and get some more Mercon LV and a transmission filter, even though I recently had the tranny fluid flushed as well.

Low speed bumping has not gone away completely with the new leaves, but has dissipated somewhat.
Passenger leaf hitting or just clearing exhaust at full droop? Looks like it, but pictures can be deceiving. Either way no big deal since it would only be minor I would imagine.

Doing them by yourself is a tough job for sure. Two people and a car lift make a huge difference.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger leaf hitting or just clearing exhaust at full droop? Looks like it, but pictures can be deceiving. Either way no big deal since it would only be minor I would imagine.

Doing them by yourself is a tough job for sure. Two people and a car lift make a huge difference.

Real close

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AXLE SEALS

While I was installing my leaf springs, I discovered what appeared to be a leaky passenger side axle seal:

IMG_7780.JPG

A bummer since I recently changed diff fluid and that stuff is SO expensive. My buddy happened to be doing diff work the same week and introduced me to Lube Locker gaskets. So away I went.

IMG_7779.JPG

Diff split, cross pin pulled, and axle c-clip out:

IMG_7781.JPG

Fluid still looked great of course. Now here's a lesson learned; after your pin is out and you go spinning the carrier around like a crazy person without keeping everything aligned, be ready for a spider gear and washer to come tumbling out and the joy that comes with trying to put everything back in and aligned. Once I figured it all out it wasn't bad, but my heart definitely hit the floor when I heard that first clunk.

Here's the mess from the outside:

IMG_7782.JPG

Axle shaft yanked:

IMG_7783.JPG

Continued...

Last edited:
OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seal was definitely trashed. Replaced both sides while I was in there obviously. Driver side hadn't gave up the ghost yet, but wasn't far behind. Much less clean-up on that side though.

IMG_7784.JPG

Cleaned up with new seal hammered home:

IMG_7785.JPG

Was actually my first time removing rear brakes on this truck. An interesting system (the caliper mount and pad clips). Different than anything I've worked on, but kind of neat.

On tap this week I've got to change the transmission filter and install bed supports. I think that's it hopefully. Oh and a brake job on my father in laws F150 work truck.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission filter knocked out last night. New one looked slightly different. New revision it looks like. Top side only had one tab here instead of two. Also about crapped myself when I saw this huge thing stuck to the magnet:

IMG_E7787.JPG

No idea what it could have been, but after further inspection, discovered that it actually was a piece of the magnet itself. No idea what could have caused it to chip off like this, but I at least I felt better that it wasn't something that had fallen out of the transmission.

Bottom side has a slightly different style pickup tube:

IMG_7788.JPG

Cleaned up and ready to go back together:

IMG_7791.JPG

IMG_7790.JPG

Overall not too bad of a job at all. I've been putting it off for so long, because I was worried about the mess, but it really wasn't terrible. Took about 2 hours start to finish. Only like 40 mins of that was taking it apart and putting it back together. The rest of the time was refilling it with a hand pump, getting the fluid level right, and cleaning up. I have an electric pump I almost busted out, but didn't want to fool with it. Took right around 6 quarts to get the fluid level where it needed to be. Dealing with that fill plug/dip stick around the hot cat is always fun and the rear pan bolts above the crossover pipe and crossmember take a little finesse.

Trans is pretty happy now. I already had the fluid flushed early last year I think, but definitely feel better after doing this. Rides great.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My magnet was chipped a little as well.

Those bolts were hard to get to, so they got the “tight” in-lbs instead lol.

My truck was pretty dirty so I was paranoid about getting dirt into the pan, made it take a lot longer than it should have.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My magnet was chipped a little as well.

Those bolts were hard to get to, so they got the “tight” in-lbs instead lol.

My truck was pretty dirty so I was paranoid about getting dirt into the pan, made it take a lot longer than it should have.

Wonder what could possibly cause the magnets to chip like that? My only guess is that they were already compromised in the batch or something and maybe when it's dropped into the pan it fractures.

I think I was able to get proper torque one way or another on all bolts except for one. That one got 'torque by feel'.

Steven_Born

Reaction score
PD,

You are an animal. I always look forward to seeing what you are up to and also how things are going. I have to tear into my 2010 soon, my electrical dash issue has returned and it looks like I will need to get this repaired once and for all. Are you interested in making a house call to NM. The pay sucks and the work conditions are not much better but the project list is long...