PD1744's Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the truck starts to enter "build-ish" territory, I figured I'd start this thread to document things.

My New Member Intro covers the majority of my ownership up to this point. Mainly consisting of maintenance type items.

Also learning how to rebuild a Raptor 6.2 engine here.

PICTURE

IMG_6851.JPG

LIGHTING
Morimoto XB Headlights (My experience with these here)
GJ Motorsports 3rd Brake Light

SUSPENSION
Eibach Front Coils

WHEELS/TIRES
Nitto Ridge Grapplers 315/70R17

Last edited:
OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brings me to this past weekend, when I installed my Eibach coils up front. Went nice and smooth. Could have knocked this out super quickly if I wasn't me and didn't have the compulsion to clean everything up and coat the parts.

New and old

IMG_7313.JPG

Assembled coil-over

IMG_7311.JPG

Re-installed

IMG_7312.JPG

and discovered an obliterated CV boot the evening before I did this job. So yeah

IMG_7314.JPG

New CV shaft just got to the house, so I'll try and jam that in this evening. Hopefully it's the correct shaft as Rock Auto is very ambiguous in the way they describe Motorcraft parts, but judging by the price it better be the right one. OEM shafts are significantly more expensive than aftermarket. But I've not had the best luck with aftermarket crap.

Truck as she sits post install

IMG_7315.JPG

Gained right at 1" post install vs stock old coils on mid-perch. Sits about perfectly level now as I had about 1" of rake prior. Was really worried that I'd be fitting in too much with these Carolina boys around here if I didn't do something in the rear. So far, ride is slightly stiffer. That's about it.

For the rear, I've got an RPG stage 3 kit inbound, as well as a VHF radio and fire extinguisher in anticipation for our first Raptor event in November.

Also, having an issue with my FOURTH driver side headlight assembly in a year. I'll update that thread now.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brings me to this past weekend, when I installed my Eibach coils up front. Went nice and smooth. Could have knocked this out super quickly if I wasn't me and didn't have the compulsion to clean everything up and coat the parts.

New and old

View attachment 313511

Assembled coil-over

View attachment 313513

Re-installed

View attachment 313512

and discovered an obliterated CV boot the evening before I did this job. So yeah

View attachment 313514

New CV shaft just got to the house, so I'll try and jam that in this evening. Hopefully it's the correct shaft as Rock Auto is very ambiguous in the way they describe Motorcraft parts, but judging by the price it better be the right one. OEM shafts are significantly more expensive than aftermarket. But I've not had the best luck with aftermarket crap.

Truck as she sits post install

View attachment 313515

Gained right at 1" post install vs stock old coils on mid-perch. Sits about perfectly level now as I had about 1" of rake prior. Was really worried that I'd be fitting in too much with these Carolina boys around here if I didn't do something in the rear. So far, ride is slightly stiffer. That's about it.

For the rear, I've got an RPG stage 3 kit inbound, as well as a VHF radio and fire extinguisher in anticipation for our first Raptor event in November.

Also, having an issue with my FOURTH driver side headlight assembly in a year. I'll update that thread now.
Can't be having that horrible **** squat thing they so love

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New axle went in last night. Easy and drama free. One of those rare days. Scary how quickly I can do this now.

Correct part showed up after all:

IMG_7322.JPG

IMG_7323.JPG

The inner joint of the old shaft seemed bound up. Didn't want to compress, so it made pulling that thing out a little tricky. No axle nut came with the assembly, and just like the Motorcraft hub assembly I installed here, the axle looked rough out of the box. Almost like a used part. The parts store garbage that I bought looked nice and brand new (obviously) and the axle came furnished with a nut. Whatever. Just a Motorcraft thing I suppose.

Fire extinguisher showed up as well. Anybody have any nifty mounting options? No bed cage for me... Not yet.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New axle went in last night. Easy and drama free. One of those rare days. Scary how quickly I can do this now.

Correct part showed up after all:

View attachment 313543

View attachment 313544

The inner joint of the old shaft seemed bound up. Didn't want to compress, so it made pulling that thing out a little tricky. No axle nut came with the assembly, and just like the Motorcraft hub assembly I installed here, the axle looked rough out of the box. Almost like a used part. The parts store garbage that I bought looked nice and brand new (obviously) and the axle came furnished with a nut. Whatever. Just a Motorcraft thing I suppose.

Fire extinguisher showed up as well. Anybody have any nifty mounting options? No bed cage for me... Not yet.
Fire Ex....

How big? Bottom of the console? Rear door panel pocket? Should be close and quickly grabbable in the event of a bad day

Last edited:
OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big? Bottom of the console? Rear door panel pocket? Should be close and quickly grabbable in the event of a bad day

I haven't opened the box yet, but from the looks of it, I'd say it is on the smaller side. I'll have a look this evening, just wanted to see what others have done. I have a larger one in the 4Runner and it is not easily accessible (rear cargo). Thankfully, the only time I've had to use it was to extinguish a fire on somebody else's rig (Jeep on a trail).

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been debating where to mount one. Either console, door pocket or maybe underhood. Underhood is not easy to get to, but ready if thats where the need is

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few quick updates while it's on my mind and I have a minute to document.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER

Decided to mount it here for now:

IMG_7331.JPG

So far this location has worked out great. My criteria for scouting a location was:
1) Like we mentioned, it needed to be readily accessible
2) Subjected to minimal forces like vibration, impact, etc.
3) In the event of an unforeseen and possibly catastrophic event such as unintentional discharge or vessel rupture, collateral damage should be mitigated as much as possible.
Possible alternative locations where:
- Under the rear seat: Satisfies condition 2 and 3 but definitely fails at #1. Especially since I have a car seat in my back seat still, so accessibility sucked bad.
- B-pillar (back side): Fails at #3 as anything happening could directly effect my sons face.
- B-pillar (front side): Fails at #3 as well as the think no matter where on the B-pillar I put it (expect maybe rear side lower) it would impede full range of the driver seat. Also, removing that B-pillar trim piece to get to the back side seemed trickier than I wanted to mess with at the time.
- Rear of the console: This location was decent. Could still mess with my kids, as well as could get kicked by people moving around back there and could make taking the floor mat in and out challenging.
- Driver door: Fails at #2. Also, I couldn't find a way to mount it here that was pleasing to me, but having a door open and shut repeatedly with this mounted there didn't really appeal to me.

Why I like this location? Meets all of criteria. My only knock so far, which is and isn't a knock, is that it barely fits here. So the door card actually does come in contact with it ever so slightly when closed. Bad because of that, but also good because of that. The seat panel gives when the door comes in, so it holds nice and tight. No vibrations or slop. So yeah, I'm happy with it so far. Have had it here for almost a month and haven't found a reason to re-locate it so far. Also, the spot was easy to reach the back side for mounting, so I could us washers and nuts instead of just drilling screws into plastic.

MORIMOTO XB HEADLIGHTS

Still having my issues with these guys, which are now hopefully behind me now that I've replaced the passenger side headlight socket. I've already replaced the driver side. Update can be found here.

RADIO

Got this cheap VHF radio in anticipation of our upcoming Raptor run, since they require them. I wanted a stealth install so placed it in the console:

IMG_7541.JPG

Already had issues with it. It worked fine in mock-up, but as soon as I hard-mounted it, the LCD screen stopped working. Radio still functions, but no display. Could have possibly happened with I wiped a fingerprint off of the display. I'm working with the supplier and they have dispatched a new LCD display for me to swap out. So far, I would not recommend this unit. Customer service was very meh to work with (Chinese company obviously). Hopefully I can get it squared away. Still need to run my antennae.

NEW MEATS

Not my first choice in tire (not even top 3), but I came across a deal on some KO2's that I could not pass on. Size 37x12.50x17:

IMG_7542.JPG

Very satisfied so far. They ride SO smooth and quite compared to my Ridge Graps. D load so they're actually lighter than the E load 315 RG's, so gas mileage hasn't taken a noticeable hit and might have possibly improved slightly. Zero rubbing issues so far. They look like they belong there. The 315's always looked small to me, even before the Eibachs.

ENGINE

Did a little engine work on the spare over the weekend. Took a crack at re-surfacing the block and was about to fit piston rings until I hit a snag. Update here.

continued onto next post...

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MORIMOTO MARKER LIGHTS

Sick of staring at the hazy corner marker lights, I ordered a set of Morimoto replacements to match the ones I've already put in the grill. Much cheaper than OEM, but as the ole saying goes, ya get what you pay for. The day before I installed these, we drove through a huge storm and I discovered moisture inside my grill lights. Overall still happy with them though. Smoked lens looks more modern, LEDs are brighter, also the lenses are more streamlined and less bulgy than the factory ones.

IMG_7559.JPG

IMG_7561.JPG

IMG_7562.JPG

Rear with driver side still OEM. Hard to tell the difference in brightness in pictures:

IMG_7563.JPG

Install was straight forward. Toughest part is fishing the pigtail connectors out of the grommets. On the front I already had the passenger side headlight out since I was working on that connector and it made things easier, but I managed to install the driver side without pulling the headlight. You have to pull the taillights in the rear to get to the connectors though. Easy peasy, just a couple little 8mm screws.

I think, I've only got the tail-lights to swap over to LED (reverse lights already done). I'm also contemplating replacing the mirror lights with sequential smoked ones.

My rear kit parts (leaves and bumps) have gone from a 2-3 week lead time, to a 5-6 week lead time, to now an 8-10 week lead time. I know we're feeling this everywhere though. Ordered my wife a La-Z-Boy recliner back in April that started at a 3 month, then 4, month, and now 6 month delivery. Crazy.

Edit: Oh yeah, and also, after working on the spare engine the other day, I was greeted by a new CEL. Was best case though. O2 sensor. Bank 2 downstream. Have already replaced the Bank 1 downstream since owning this truck. This one is on the way out. Placed an order for a new one for about $23. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back yet.

I think that catches us up for now.

Last edited: