Payload SUCKS!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the ford performance differential cover on my truck, not because I wanted the plate/badge that said Ford Performance nor to retain a warranty (I have a gen 1 so that doesn't really apply anymore lol but I wouldn't have even if it did) . I did it because I needed to change my diff fluid and I could not find a spicer one anywhere the could get to me prior to my next event. I did not want to mess with the silicone gasket and I wanted a drain plug so now I can remove the plug and swap the fluid much easier.

As far as suspension, I would have to say that the raptor already comes with "entry level" parts. The factory parts on a raptor would be upgrades to an F150. The only thing left would be to upgrade. I guess you could argue that there are intermediate upgrades to the factory shocks that would come between the OEM and new 3.0's. Looking on Carli's website for leaf springs for a F250 Deaver's were $1450 as well. I think it is a small market and small business and that is just part of it for the "Raptor tax"

Just curious as to why you didn't want the internal bypass on the 3.0's? The internal bypass helps the shock be good at most things. The external bypasses on the rear will give you the ability to dial it in for your needs.

Agreed on the entry level, I meant to say that the "Entry level" parts for raptors are currently pretty "full kill". To me, the biggest problem with the stock stuff is that a 2.5 IBP is really a 2.0 diameter piston shock, and doesn't hold much fluid, so it heats up and breaks down quickly, hence the constant rebuilds. A 2.5 or 3.0 non-IBP shock with reservoir is an upgrade over factory to me, if properly tuned. An IBP is a PITA to tune, because it involves complete teardown, welding closed existing bypass holes, drilling new ones, cleaning the ID, and putting on new reed valves, etc. IBPs are cool and all, but i've gotten good performance out of a standard shock with the DSC adjusters with help from AccuTune on my Tacoma taking it on mojave trail, mexico trips, Johnson valley, etc. That's not to say a bypass isn't better, I just think I won't be able to see enough of a difference for the dollar.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't catch my sarcasm, I wasn't being 100% serious. I agree the parts are overpriced.

Speaking of bathing in expensive liquids though, when you have members doing a diff cover changeout on a brand new truck and using additional Amsoil to "wash out" their diff, jeezus christ man....no wonder these companies think they can get away with it.

Look at the price of raptor parts everywhere, they're more than they should be, to me. The rear springs I put on my Tacoma from Icon were $700. Nearly the same thing, albeit slightly larger, is double for a raptor. There are no "Entry Level" parts for a raptor, because generally, people buying a truck that expensive didn't over-extend themselves to do so, and are going to latch on to the marketing that buying this level part means they won't be putting lower grade than OEM parts on their truck. Same diff cover changeout I mentioned, the guy buys a ford factory cover, but when presented with the idea that the spicer version is the exact same, with a different badge, for $100 less, they declined, as it may cause warranty issues later on. Let's not even get into the whole part about there really being no need for a new cover, regardless of the tag.

My thoughts are that companies don't need to sell for less, because they can market their higher priced product as superior compared to any reasonably-priced competition. I didn't want to get IBP front shocks, I just wanted a standard Fox 3.0 with DSC control, but they only sell an IBP. Same with the rear: I don't need a triple bypass, just a well-tuned 3.0 with a DSC adjuster, but none of the aftermarket suppliers sell them. (AccuTune does have an option we're working on though). I believe this is because it's easy to market the NEED for the IBP, because they come with IBPs. If they sold a non-IBP and people asked the question of what the difference is, how easy is it to say that the more expensive one is the same design, but slightly larger, while the lesser priced version is lacking the technology of the factory offering? The cost to upgrade a Raptor is more expensive, because the clientele buys into it, literally. I don't like my leaf springs are that pricey, but what's the alternative? Boycott them and hope they drop? I'm sure a decent spring shop could improve your factory setup for a bit less than Deaver, but if you want a full new pack, from anyone who doesn't make them already, that's custom, and that's expensive, and less proven to be correct for your application. Deavers have always been expensive, regardless of the model, because desert racing leaf springs is what they do, and they're arguably the best in the business.

I am a bit surprised more manufacturers aren't selling slightly more entry level offerings for parts on the Gen1s, as they become more affordable to buy for people who didn't feel like dropping the coin on a new Raptor (like myself).

I'm sorry.
I didn't recognize you were saying it in jest.

You didn't catch my sarcasm, I wasn't being 100% serious. I agree the parts are overpriced.

Speaking of bathing in expensive liquids though, when you have members doing a diff cover changeout on a brand new truck and using additional Amsoil to "wash out" their diff, jeezus christ man....no wonder these companies think they can get away with it.

Look at the price of raptor parts everywhere, they're more than they should be, to me. The rear springs I put on my Tacoma from Icon were $700. Nearly the same thing, albeit slightly larger, is double for a raptor. There are no "Entry Level" parts for a raptor, because generally, people buying a truck that expensive didn't over-extend themselves to do so, and are going to latch on to the marketing that buying this level part means they won't be putting lower grade than OEM parts on their truck. Same diff cover changeout I mentioned, the guy buys a ford factory cover, but when presented with the idea that the spicer version is the exact same, with a different badge, for $100 less, they declined, as it may cause warranty issues later on. Let's not even get into the whole part about there really being no need for a new cover, regardless of the tag.

My thoughts are that companies don't need to sell for less, because they can market their higher priced product as superior compared to any reasonably-priced competition. I didn't want to get IBP front shocks, I just wanted a standard Fox 3.0 with DSC control, but they only sell an IBP. Same with the rear: I don't need a triple bypass, just a well-tuned 3.0 with a DSC adjuster, but none of the aftermarket suppliers sell them. (AccuTune does have an option we're working on though). I believe this is because it's easy to market the NEED for the IBP, because they come with IBPs. If they sold a non-IBP and people asked the question of what the difference is, how easy is it to say that the more expensive one is the same design, but slightly larger, while the lesser priced version is lacking the technology of the factory offering? The cost to upgrade a Raptor is more expensive, because the clientele buys into it, literally. I don't like my leaf springs are that pricey, but what's the alternative? Boycott them and hope they drop? I'm sure a decent spring shop could improve your factory setup for a bit less than Deaver, but if you want a full new pack, from anyone who doesn't make them already, that's custom, and that's expensive, and less proven to be correct for your application. Deavers have always been expensive, regardless of the model, because desert racing leaf springs is what they do, and they're arguably the best in the business.

I am a bit surprised more manufacturers aren't selling slightly more entry level offerings for parts on the Gen1s, as they become more affordable to buy for people who didn't feel like dropping the coin on a new Raptor (like myself).

You've essentially described the bmw GS 1200 motorcycle.

No aftermarket accessories are reasonably priced because the general clientele tend to be midlife crisis accountants who play Starbucks warriors ok the weekend.

I've seen a few of these bikes draped in about $5,000 worth of carbon fiber...