Payload SUCKS!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pokahpolice

Reaction score
I own a camp in the North Maine Woods and travel up there 5-6 times a year. The roads are thousands of miles of dirt logging roads. It’s the type of terrain this truck was built for and the reason I purchased it.

...but I use my truck as a truck. I haul trailers, fill the bed with wood, tools, mulch. I’m quickly realizing that the 1000lb payload is quite an issue. 2 grown men are 450lbs...I’m down to 550lbs. Half a bed of hardwood Is about 1/4 a cord maybe a bit less with the short bed. That’s about 500-600lbs. I’m at max payload with half a bed of wood and 2 guys. I haven’t even packed a cooler!?! The amount of sag in the rear end with half a bed of wood is pretty noticeable. I highly Overlooked the payload rating on this thing. Too busy playing with all the pretty things I guess. This thing is sexy and fast but it is barely a truck. Some minivans have better payloads.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Despite the raptor being a truck, it’s a specialty performance truck which comes with some limitations which people seem to not realize, care about or know about only to complain about it later.

Would you jump into a new GT and gun it without getting up to temp? No. You wouldn’t. Yet most people on the board would and do and then complain when their 80k truck has a funny noise and needs to go to the dealer.

the raptor is not a trim level like going from a base truck to a lariat.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timbrens may be a good solution for you while running extra weight. I have them and put them in and out as needed, takes only a few minutes to change out. I spend a lot of time in Northern Maine and I use them when hauling a 4 place sled trailer for 8 hours up I95/1. Loaded they work great, Unloaded is like driving an F450 so be prepared to remove them when not in use. Best of both worlds though and keeps the weight off your suspension.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I own a camp in the North Maine Woods and travel up there 5-6 times a year. The roads are thousands of miles of dirt logging roads. It’s the type of terrain this truck was built for and the reason I purchased it.

...but I use my truck as a truck. I haul trailers, fill the bed with wood, tools, mulch. I’m quickly realizing that the 1000lb payload is quite an issue. 2 grown men are 450lbs...I’m down to 550lbs. Half a bed of hardwood Is about 1/4 a cord maybe a bit less with the short bed. That’s about 500-600lbs. I’m at max payload with half a bed of wood and 2 guys. I haven’t even packed a cooler!?! The amount of sag in the rear end with half a bed of wood is pretty noticeable. I highly Overlooked the payload rating on this thing. Too busy playing with all the pretty things I guess. This thing is sexy and fast but it is barely a truck. Some minivans have better payloads.
Deavers are in your future, go with the HD version and you’ll be set.

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score

Hang in there Bud...I also went from a FX4 to the Beast and immediately got a rude awakening when I loaded up and broke up camp for the winter. Hindsight is 20x20. I love how the keyboard experts chime in and offer useless I knew more than you did...those in Cali may have desert runs to play with (I also been west btw) but we have thousands if not millions of forest roads miles and just as much fun and plenty of jeep trails included...

I am still weighing out suspension options for my overall utilization of the Beast and best overall performance and cost/benefits.

Last edited:

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hang in there Bud...I also went from a FX4 to the Beast and immediately got a rude awakening when I loaded up and broke up camp for the winter. Hindsight is 20x20. I love how the keyboard experts chime in and offer useless I knew more than you did...those in Cali may have desert runs to play with (I also been west btw) but we have thousands if not millions of forest roads and just as much fun and plenty of jeep trails included...

I am still weighing out options for my overall utilization of the Beast and best overall performance and cost/benefits.

That's fine. However, to say "payload sucks" is a bit different than saying something was designed or implemented wrong. the payload doesn't "suck" when it's used as intended and as designed. Saying the Raptors payload sucks is like saying the GT500 sucks at driving off road.