Passenger Side Vs. Driver Side Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Catch cans just seem unnecessary based on the type of driving 99.9% of Raptor owners engage in. If someone was building their truck for racing where you’d be spending hours above 4k rpm, then sure.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
UPR both sides and use an oil cap breather in the winter for pressure release should hoses freeze up. Expensive but I don't want any of that blow by where it doesn't belong and it doesn't belong in your intake.

Low Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I’ll put my 2 cents in. I’ve got a Gen 2, 2017 and that’s one of the first things I put on. Got it from CJ Pony parts for $399. This unit does both sides. Right off the bat it started throwing Codes, crankcase ventilation sensor. However the amount of gunk that it collects is unbelievable. I check it about every 4-5K and at 35K miles I have two bottles full of this stuff. Took it up to the service dept and showed them and told me Ford should be using them. I realize the average customer wouldn’t have a clue how to service it. After 4 and a half years it still occasionally throws a code. This only happens when you install this on the drivers side.
I ordered a 22 back on Nov 1st and that’s one of the first things I’ll be installing.
like one of the previous posts you’ll hear both sides, pro’s and con’s, just wanted to let you know what to expect.

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have one on my Raptor yet, but I will probably put one on. I have one, (Bob's) on my GT500 pass side, it produces 1,2 Oz per oil change. Oil in the intake will coat valves and more importantly it will coat any intercooler, reducing its efficiency. Warmer intake games will reduce power so it is worth it to me on any pressurized engine, turbo or supercharged. Just my 2 cents.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, it depends on the year of your Raptor. The catch cans have a value prior to 2017 after that, ford put dual fuel injection on the 3.5 ecoboost that keeps the valves washed.

from wiki:

3.5 L (D35; second generation) [edit]​

The second generation 3.5L EcoBoost V6 (codename D35) was introduced for the 2017 Ford GT, revealed at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show in January, as well as the 2017 F-150, 2018 Expedition and 2018 Navigator.[86] It produces up to 647 hp (482 kW) [87] paired with a seven-speed semiautomatic transmission. This engine replaces the 5.4 L supercharged modular V8 from the last generation Ford GT. The GT was on an 11-year hiatus and returned in 2016 for the 2017 model year.

Also announced at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show was the 2017 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor, which is powered by an all-new 3.5 L twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6.[88] This new engine will produce 450 horsepower in the Raptor, up from the previous 6.2-L V8's 411.

The same second-generation 3.5L V6 is replacing the first-generation engine in the 2017 F-150 line-up. It will be standard on the F-150 Limited and remain an optional upgrade for other trim levels. Paired with the second-generation 3.5L EcoBoost V6 is the new 10R80 10-speed automatic transmission that was co-designed with GM. This new transmission will be outfitted on all second-generation 3.5L V6 EcoBoost F-150s. The 10-speed will be exclusive to the 3.5L EcoBoost engine in F-150s for the 2017 model year.

Changes from previous generation[edit]​

The most prominent change is the addition of port fuel injection, while keeping the direct injectors. The port fuel injection was partly added due to the fuel output needs on the 3.5L HO Raptor engine, but also has several benefits for the 3.5L EcoBoost. It will prevent buildup on the intake valves and keep them clean due to fuel passing over the valves. Under certain engine conditions such as low rpm and low loads the high-pressure fuel pump and direct injection system will turn off and the engine will only use the port fuel injection, reducing efficiency losses due to the HPFP. Both systems will operate at cold start, which will reduce emissions that direct injection suffers due to cold cylinder walls and lower fuel atomization.

Turbocharger changes include electronically actuated wastegates, turbine wheels now made with lighter Mar-M-247 super-alloy increasing responsiveness, and the same 51 mm turbine wheels but with sharper vane angles allowing between 2.5 psi (0.17 bar) and 16 psi (1.1 bar) higher boost. The turbochargers continue to be supplied by Borg Warner.

The cam drive system changed from a single primary chain to a stronger two primary chain system with separate chains driving each cylinder bank. In addition to dual primary chains, the side plates on the chains were also thickened. The cam chain drive sprocket on the crankshaft is a double gear arrangement to drive the two primary chains. These two changes were done to improve the harmonics, and are also stronger to help minimize the chain stretch that can occur over time on the 1st generation 3.5L EcoBoost.

The camshafts were made hollow for weight savings, along with the addition of a roller-finger follower valvetrain. The compression ratio was increased from 10.0:1 to 10.5:1 (except on the 3.5L EcoBoost HO for the Raptor, which remains at 10.0:1).

The camshaft VCT (phaser) design was also changed to improve reliability and reduce the development of a tapping noise over time.

Ford uses a single piston cooling jet per cylinder, but the oil volume was increased. The underside of the pistons were also redesigned to better transfer heat into the oil.

The engine also features auto start/stop, which decreases emissions during city driving by shutting the engine off in extended idling periods.

The engines are also 4 lb (1.8 kg) lighter than the previous 3.5L EcoBoost. [89]

Raptor2022

Reaction score
I don't have one on my Raptor yet, but I will probably put one on. I have one, (Bob's) on my GT500 pass side, it produces 1,2 Oz per oil change. Oil in the intake will coat valves and more importantly it will coat any intercooler, reducing its efficiency. Warmer intake games will reduce power so it is worth it to me on any pressurized engine, turbo or supercharged. Just my 2 cents.

I second that 2017+ 3.5L was reworked to include port injection and 99% of that oil you see in a can will properly dissolve in gasoline and burn while less than 1% will actually coat your intercooler. Can't find it, but there was a thread on gen14 forum showing pretty clean intercooler after 20k miles without any catch cans.
Just make sure to use top tier gas.

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a catch can set up since I've been told its a fairly cheap peace of mind mod for the money. my question is after doing a lot of research I have noticed most seem to get the passenger side CC but in some other discussions I've read that the driver side is the one you want. obviously getting both is an option as well but would like to get some members input on here that have run either one side or the other or even both and give feedback on which one actually benefits and functions the best.
I installed both a few weeks ago and after about 300 miles I a had a quarter of an inch in the passenger side and the drivers side was bone dry.