Paint Correction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermoose

Reaction score
Hey Guys, looking to get some advice. About 10 years or so ago I worked at a detail shop and did paint correction so I have some experience with how to do it...it's just been a long time.

I remember using a porter cable orbital buffer, various color pads (wool, orange, yellow, and black), along with various polishes (if I recall it was Meguiars 110 and 210), paint cleanser, and then whatever finishing product (I never did ceramic coating).

Looking at my truck, it could probably use a paint correct. I stopped by a local shop and they quoted me 4k for the correction and another 1.9k for the ceramic. Little rich for my blood...so here we are.

Wanted to get some input before I started to assemble things to deal with this when it gets a bit warmer out. Truck is a 2018 in Shadow Black. I know I'll need to wash, decontaminate, clay bar, dry, tape it off, etc. before hitting it with the buffer. I'll need to see how it looks in the sun light to see how bad the defects are but I did see some...not sure if I could get away with a single pass on a lighter polish (like 210 on an orange or yellow pad) or if I need to get a more aggressive first pass and then follow up.

So...onto the questions:

Is this paint soft or hard? What polish/pad combinations should I be looking at? Any recommendations on ceramic coatings? What happens if the ceramic coating gets on any trim pieces or non paint surfaces? Best way to avoid that? Any other thoughts or things I should think about?

Thanks in advance!

mattio

Reaction score
Seams like you have the experience to answer your own question. Start with a medium or light cut and do a panel. If you like the results continue, if not, go to a more aggressive compound until you achieve your desired results.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
$5900 wtf. Sounds like they dont want to do it or im just not charging enough lol.

We use the Rupes items at work and theyre great. Im not a fan of the ceramic coating, i use collinite wax, it makes a very slick coating and hasn’t harmed any trim or even my bed graphics.

*Depending on current condition*
we use a soft foam pad with a med grit polish and try it on the most scratchy area and if it does good continue if not we change the pad to a firmer one or a harsher grit. After thats done well use a fine/finisher polish and the soft pad. Do a thorough wipe down and start the wax process. Im sure you know but this isnt a direct sun job lol.

Attachments

• 399DE1FC-2D9E-4C89-8724-DECD5C845A9E.jpeg
    399DE1FC-2D9E-4C89-8724-DECD5C845A9E.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 11

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a hell of a difference! The 105 and 205 compounds work really well but they dust and clog the pads after a good work out.
Ive had really good luck with Exoforma products. I run them on a Flex 3' and 5'' polisher.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the reputation of the place? That seems...extremely low.
Very good place. I have some light surface scratches i want gone and he said he'd compound and polish . Convo didnt start as “paint correction” . But my dude, you did one hell of a job on yours. We have the same color gen2 …