GEN 1 p0770 Transmission Shift Solenoid wrench and CEL .. TSB Recall? ---

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alwayscode390

Reaction score
Well I have heard a thud from the transmission if giving throttle on a cold start in a parking lot situation, where I had to get off the gas abruptly. Today while entering the highway I got a "wrench" and the transmission wouldnt shift out of 3rd. I pulled over, and it clunked pretty hard going down to 1st. I turned the truck off, and on ... and now it had the wrench and the check engine light. I pulled into reverse and it clunked, then pulled forward and clunked from 1-2 ... but was fine going through all the gears and the wrench went away. It then clunked hard again on my first complete stop down to 1st. I got a p0770 code on my scanner. After a google search I see p0770 is a shift solenoid malfunction/ torque converter lockup. I also noticed there was a TSB for this exact situation, and it seems to just be a shift program update for the 6r80 built before the end of 2012. I erased the code and it stayed "stored" but turned the light off. I ran it through the gears sitting in my garage and the clunking got lighter and lighter and it didnt re-throw the code yet. I will drive it again this afternoon. Is this a known issue? Is the dealership going to fix it for free since it was a recall/TSB? 85k mile 2011 Raptor , thanks! :) --- http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsbs/fulltext/?do=ViewTSB&tsbmodel=F-150&tsbyear=2012&tsbno=13-1-10

OP
OP
alwayscode390

alwayscode390

Reaction score
Well I just drove it 15 miles without issue until I made a complete stop and then it clunked hard. Let it sit for about an hour and a half ... got back in it and within 1/4 mile the wrench lit back up and it stayed stuck in 3rd no matter my speed. Got home, put it in the garage , restarted it and no wrench or CEL ... but now the transmission is squealing no matter if in Park or any other gear BUT it showed it was accepting 1st and 2nd , but just while sitting there. Bummer! Seems like its dealership time :( ---

OP
OP
alwayscode390

alwayscode390

Reaction score
Luckily the transmission isnt getting hot ... from a cold start and 15 min down the highway while it was acting good it got up to 190. Then it sat for an hour and a half, and I drove 15 min home when it started acting up ... stayed at 200. ---

OP
OP
alwayscode390

alwayscode390

Reaction score
OK, well it was a grounding failure in Solenoid E like the code stated.

Grounded open at the bulkhead.

New Bulkhead, new solenoid, and a full system flush at the dealer and everything seems good after a few hundred miles. ---

MTGOAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, if there is a recall for this, will Ford fix it under that recall if you are out of warranty? I am throwing a P0770 and P0773 right now with the same type of issues.

EcoRaptor13

Reaction score
so, if there is a recall for this, will Ford fix it under that recall if you are out of warranty? I am throwing a P0770 and P0773 right now with the same type of issues.

ME TOO! how much did this cost you guys? i'm having all the same symptoms.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

OK, well it was a grounding failure in Solenoid E like the code stated.

Grounded open at the bulkhead.

New Bulkhead, new solenoid, and a full system flush at the dealer and everything seems good after a few hundred miles. ---

how much $$$ at the dealer was this? i'm having p0770 and same 3rd gear, no manual shifting, erratic shifting symptoms, intermittent, but no clunking.

MTGOAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I might jump back in here and bring this one back to life. I am yet again throwing the same P0770 and P0773 codes. I had the truck fixed in October 2016 under power train warranty and all was good till May of 2017. Took it back in for the same code and they fixed it. all was good for about 400 miles and have the same code again.

Dealer said they will cover the work since it originally started under warranty. Sad thing there is no sense of urgency this time around. Even after the third time I have to wait nearly two weeks before they can fit me in their schedule. I am a rather patient man so I am just waiting till I take it in and speak with their Service Manager.

This qualify as a Lemon at this point??? Actually, it would appear under VA law, or possibly any state, you can only file for a lemon if it is within 18 months of ownership...

https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/VA-LLsummary.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
alwayscode390

alwayscode390

Reaction score
Didn't have to remove the tranny, just the valve body.

What parts are they actually fixing/replacing on your truck MTGOAT?

Knock on wood but mine has been good so far, I just put a tune on my truck ... we'll see how that goes LOL ---