p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone with this error? "p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold" This is now the 2nd time I've cleared it - new cats needed already? Truck has 7300 miles on it...

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be a bad batch as your the 2nd person I’ve seen with this problem in the last 2 weeks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
bumping this - I have SPD cats for the last year and a half, getting this code AGAIN. Must be bad 02 sensors? Bank 1 is passenger? @FordTechOne help!
Cat efficiency DTCs are not typically the result of a sensor issue; the condition is calculated, not directly measured. Meaning a skewed/faulty sensor reading will typically set a DTC well before the catalyst monitor is able to run. Common causes for cat efficiency DTCs include exhaust leaks, poor quality/contaminated fuel, and aftermarket engine modifications.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would get that code on my GEN 1 when ever i filled up with Shell premium gas . I could time the light pretty much 15 min after fill up till it turned on . After a few hundred miles it would turn off on its own. Chevron or QT gas it never happens. I believe this is one of the few codes that does not put truck into limp mode or alter performance .

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm i only use premium top tier fuel. Could an intake and intercooler cause it?
Not likely. Here’s the list of possible causes to consider:
  • Damaged heated oxygen sensor (HO2S)
  • Exhaust leaks
  • Damaged exhaust manifold
  • Damaged catalytic converter
  • Oil contamination
  • Cylinder misfiring
  • Downstream HO2S wires incorrectly connected
  • Damaged exhaust system pipe
  • Damaged muffler and tailpipe assembly
  • Leaking fuel injector
  • Oil contamination of the catalyst