Oops. Crap. What to do now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Yeah,
After posting I remembered you ran a bed rug and you did mention all your camping equipment. I'm assuming you run a bed cover as well?

Bo,
You can always flip it outward... Making it into a bed extender of sorts. Depending on the load, it actually could be quite useful having some tubes to ratchet strap lumber to etc. You also don't have to keep a tire on it at all times.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was the quality of the install? I'm overly **** so I want to make sure whoever I have do it will do it as perfectly as possible. Did you do the paint (IIRC you own a body shop?) or did Baker handle it all? If you don't mind, could you PM what the rough cost was including inner liners? I'm shooting for 37" Bajas on low perch with front 'glass and pulled bedsides so I was thinking I could also have Baker do the pull. I've been going back and forth between Baker and Outlaw for 'glass and pulling.

Install was good. After John installed the fenders, my guys pulled them off, painted, and re-installed. My shops have mounted them too and the fit and finish really comes down to the overall shape of the glass more so than the install. I'm very pleased with Glassworks for the most part. They fit up nicely, lines flow with the truck, and are glassed solid.

I think Bakers the only shop who has pulled Raptor bedsides. At least that i've heard of. I really can't speak on the price because I was basically at "bulk" pricing. I will say you would be hard pressed to find a quality fabricator that does work at John's rates.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Tire gate no mas! It was great to get the truck bed back too. Like you guys said, it eats up a good amount of bed space. I never liked turning it outboard either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sound awesome BigJ. I read your description and I felt it move in my pants. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Do you have a backup cam? If so, did you guys discuss where/how to relocate it?
Haha I hear ya dude. I had to stop myself from doin a happy dance when I mentally saw this hitch we were designing. I've been struggling with more bed space, and someplace to store my fuel since before I got the truck. This would essentially solve both problems in one fell badass stroke.

Good call; I do have a camera, and we didn't talk about how or where to reroute it. I'll mention it as something to consider when I pick 'er up tonight.

damnit where are the pictures, us east coast guys have to hit the sack soon!
Doh, sorry! I'll do what I can as soon as I can, I promise!

Yeah,
After posting I remembered you ran a bed rug and you did mention all your camping equipment. I'm assuming you run a bed cover as well?
Yeppers.
Bo,
You can always flip it outward... Making it into a bed extender of sorts. Depending on the load, it actually could be quite useful having some tubes to ratchet strap lumber to etc. You also don't have to keep a tire on it at all times.
Very true. But I can't picture how it would work with the bed cover, which is a requirement.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Hey by the way... can someone grab a tape measure and measure from the center of your hitch's receiver hole to the ground? Also, please take a measurement from the ground to the top dead center underside of your rear fender flare (that will allow me to figure where my hitch was, and better compare to where it is now). I blanked and forgot to take that measurement before work started. :doh:

Last edited:

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really liking the spare/fuel mount idea Big J. Looking forward to seeing what you and John cook up!

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bo,

I hear that, and have considered those points, but I have a few cons with flipping it outward.... First the added length, second I don't like how it looks outward nearly as much as inward. Although the plus to having it outward is improved weight distribution when hitting a jump offroad.

While I still like the looks of a tiregate, or that dual vertical tire setup SDHQ has been doing the best, I think something like BigJ is describing suits my needs better.

Plus there is the issue of the serious man-love I have for the functionality
of an old-fashioned tailgate... I spread my blueprints out across it when I'm talking shop with the other superintendents or our sub-contractors, I sit on it at break time when the burrito lady brings the grub, I lay my pistols, shotty, rifle, and cooler on it when I'm blowing shit up in the desert. ....My tailgate has been good to me... It deserves better than to be scrapped to the recesses of the garage corner. Hey BigJ, if I follow your lead, will you ask Baker if they can install a FleshLight in my tailgate?? We've got some catching up to do.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Me too!

Keeping the fuel on the exterior is a big plus. Any chance you will do a two hitch model? haha, Might be something to consider depending on how much weight your going to be throwing on the the thing. Looking forward to seeing some sketches!

Bo, you can always still do that on the actual bed when the tire gate is swung out of the way. Not suggesting its the best route and I will always prefer custom where possible. Just being devil's advocate. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... Hey BigJ, if I follow your lead, will you ask Baker if they can install a FleshLight in my tailgate?? We've got some catching up to do.
Hahaha uhm no... no you can go ahead 'handle' that one all by yoself :ROFLJest:

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe me Mr. Devil's Advocate, I've considered those thoughts, but I definitely appreciate your counterpoints.... But with the almost daily rate that I haul stuff from job to job, if The BigJ Setup looks good, it will have me at hello purely from a function standpoint.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Hahaha uhm no... no you can go ahead 'handle' that one all by yoself :ROFLJest:

Hahahaaaa!! Awww c'mon man, help a pervert out!! :burnout:

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DAMN NO PICTURES STILL!!

Soon im gonna have to start calling BigJ BigTease...

bastards and your toys!

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigJ, I'm already in bed, but i just saw your earlier post.... if you still need those measurements tomorrow morning I can grab them for you.