Ongoing IWE issues. Just deal with it forever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
you could also realistically "fix" the problem with iwe eliminators.

I highly doubt that you'd have any issue on a stock truck with them.

Trucks that run a ton of preload tend to tear cv boots often, but if you're within factory spec on the angle of the front axleshafts, I don't think you'd have any issues. You can always go back to iwes at a later date too.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm out of warranty so this may not apply, but I tried the updated filter as well as a new solenoid with no change in the noise. I unplugged the harness at the connector and no more noise. I'll fix it "correctly" someday, but as of right now, the 4WD still works so I'm good with that.

Do you have a hand operated vacuum pump? If not, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for cheap.

Here are the diagnostic steps from TSB 20-2028 to check for a vacuum leak in the system:

4. Disconnect the vacuum line to the IWEs at the vacuum solenoid.
5. Connect a hand vacuum pump to the IWE vacuum supply line and apply 508 mm-Hg (20 in-Hg) of vacuum. Does the vacuum drop more than 12.5 mm-Hg (0.5 in-Hg) per minute?

If vacuum drops, the procedure has you continue by checking each IWE and the lines. If it holds vacuum, you most likely have a failed check valve, which is very inexpensive and easy to replace. If you remove the check valve and you can blow air through it both ways, it is failed.

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2018, no issues at all. Knock on wood... Hope you can get the problem solved and enjoy the ride. Best truck I ever owned...

OP
OP
R

Russ

Reaction score
I called Ford and opened a case with them per the recommendation on here.
Safe to assume they replaced FL3Z3A788B? And your truck keeps popping them?

I had the same issue and replaced mine thousands of miles ago in five minutes and had no issues since. You must have bigger issues if it keeps coming back agreed with try a different dealer.

Yeah, they've replaced it several times as far as I know. The last time the service manager replaced it in front of me.

Jeff Rabold

Reaction score
If it has been in 4 times for the same issue it may be a lemon. Maybe contact Ford Customer Care and discuss it with them. There are a few options you need to know about before selling your truck and possibly losing money on it.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The system is not “delicate”. The issue occurring in this video is the result of partial engagement due to a vacuum leak and has nothing to do with the torque capacity of the IWEs themselves. The fact that the dealer cannot repair a simple vacuum actuated system is pathetic.

Ford released TSB 20-2028 (previously 20-2013) to assist dealers with diagnosing the exact issue you’re experiencing - an intermittent grinding noise from the front wheels while driving. It specifies model years 2013-2018, but the system on 2019 models is the same aside from a revised strategy in the calibration. The dealer cannot claim the TSB on the RO for warranty, but the diagnostics still apply.

The workshop manual also contains a pinpoint test for this exact issue. It’s pinpoint test F in section 308-07A. It’s very comprehensive and even includes photos of the procedures.

I would recommend contacting Ford corporate and advise them that your dealer has attempted to repair the concern 4 times without resolution. The customer relationship rep can reach out to other dealers in your area and find one that is willing to help. They typically know which dealers have high customer satisfaction and which to avoid. Often they can even schedule the appointment for you.

Let us know how it goes.

I know you're one of the good ones, but there are too many techs/dealers that have no idea WTF they are doing. I took my 2018 truck in with what was a IWE check valve issue 4 different times, and was told there was nothing wrong/they could not replicate it. Folks on here told me what it was, and I fixed it with a $7 part. Same dealer/head tech said he had "never heard of" the cam phaser issue, and when I sent him the TSB, he kept my truck overnight and said it sounded like every other truck on the lot at cold start. At that point I switched dealers.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This video was posted on March 23, 2019 and speaks of a new part from ford about that time. Any truth to it? Meaning, should trucks post March 2019 not have this? Apart from just a part one per say.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This video was posted on March 23, 2019 and speaks of a new part from ford about that time. Any truth to it? Meaning, should trucks post March 2019 not have this? Apart from just a part one per say.

If you don't have the new, blue-tipped one, spend the $7 and get it. I bought 2, just in case.

OP
OP
R

Russ

Reaction score
The dealership said Ford asked them to run some tests and send them some data. Later, Ford (corporate) called me to say they discovered a problem and are looking into it. I should know more later today hopefully.

Cristian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever try putting it in 4wd then back to 2wd to see if would go away? That same sound happens to me randomly every few weeks, replaced check valve 2 weeks ago and suddenly today same sound came back but goes away after putting in 4wd. Will be replacing Solenoid then testing iwe if it comes back