Onboard air compressors lets see them

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw this installation on a Raptor in the latest issue of Recoil magazine.

Has anybody else tried installing in this location?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 354

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nice setup, but I'd be worried that a punk would kick the exposed connection and snap it off.

On the last picture, where does the black hose on the left side go?

Disclaimer: I don't have an air compressor, so I'm not familiar with all the parts... I'm not even sure what I'd use it for, but for some reason I feel compelled to have one.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice setup, but I'd be worried that a punk would kick the exposed connection and snap it off.

On the last picture, where does the black hose on the left side go?

Disclaimer: I don't have an air compressor, so I'm not familiar with all the parts... I'm not even sure what I'd use it for, but for some reason I feel compelled to have one.

I keep a black cap on it when not in use for both protection and stealth. As you can see, when it's on, you dont even notice it.

horn5.jpg

The black hose goes down the frame through the bumper for the quick release.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just saw this installation on a Raptor in the latest issue of Recoil magazine.

Has anybody else tried installing in this location?
Yes. And it sucked.

9.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

If you actually plan to off road your rig, find another location for your compressor.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ What problems did you encounter Big J due to offroading and the frame mount?

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my question as well. I like the stealth of it but rocks/mud/debris could punch holes in stuffs and what not. Have you had problems with the filter clogging up on the pump itself?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like you solved the first problem Blue; that little sponge filter in the plastic housing didn't last me one trip. I'm pretty sure a pebble took it out, as there was still plastic bits threaded in the compressor's housing. Running a tube like you did (and I did later) to remote locate that filter (or into the truck's air box like mine) solves that issue.

The second problem I had was I actually ended up seizing my compressor after a few usages. I can't say for 100% sure, but I think it was because of how it was mounted sideways. When I tore the compressor apart, I found the piston had rusted to the cylinder wall, and there was a rusty water line in there, parallel to the stroke of the piston. Because it was mounted 90degrees off from upright, water had been allowed to collect in the cylinder and the resulting rust was enough to seize the piston. I should have snapped some pics, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Mounting it upright prevents any water from pooling in the cylinder. It would have to sit on the piston instead, and I don't think the piston seals that well to the wall, so in reality it weeps down and out of the chamber into the crankcase where it apparently eventually evaporates harmlessly away.

I also noticed that dirt and mud tended to collect on top of the thing, for whatever reason. Not the best idea when it comes to heat dissipation. These little compressors need all the airflow they can get, and not an insulating blanket of grime instead.

Your milage will most certainly vary. But for me and my money, upright and up out of the way of mud/dirt/water/sandblasting/rock pelting is the best way to go.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my question as well. I like the stealth of it but rocks/mud/debris could punch holes in stuffs and what not. Have you had problems with the filter clogging up on the pump itself?

Looks like you solved the first problem Blue; that little sponge filter in the plastic housing didn't last me one trip. I'm pretty sure a pebble took it out, as there was still plastic bits threaded in the compressor's housing. Running a tube like you did (and I did later) to remote locate that filter (or into the truck's air box like mine) solves that issue.

The second problem I had was I actually ended up seizing my compressor after a few usages. I can't say for 100% sure, but I think it was because of how it was mounted sideways. When I tore the compressor apart, I found the piston had rusted to the cylinder wall, and there was a rusty water line in there, parallel to the stroke of the piston. Because it was mounted 90degrees off from upright, water had been allowed to collect in the cylinder and the resulting rust was enough to seize the piston. I should have snapped some pics, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Mounting it upright prevents any water from pooling in the cylinder. It would have to sit on the piston instead, and I don't think the piston seals that well to the wall, so in reality it weeps down and out of the chamber into the crankcase where it apparently eventually evaporates harmlessly away.

I also noticed that dirt and mud tended to collect on top of the thing, for whatever reason. Not the best idea when it comes to heat dissipation. These little compressors need all the airflow they can get, and not an insulating blanket of grime instead.

Your milage will most certainly vary. But for me and my money, upright and up out of the way of mud/dirt/water/sandblasting/rock pelting is the best way to go.

Gotcha, makes sense.

When my set-up was installed, they actually routed that filter inside the cab under the rear seat, so it would never get clogged.

TRR13 will be a good test to see how mine handles the ruff stuff!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc