Onboard air compressor recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HPA systems makes a nice refillable tank 4500psi if I'm not mistaken. Extremely fast tire fill up and will power tools .

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only downside to a powertank, is when you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can't get it refilled. I am not even sure if Moab has a place to refill. Someone was asking me where to go, but since I don't use it, I really don't know.
You don't fill up in the middle of nowhere. You air down when you start an adventure and air back up when you are done, even if it is days later. One air cycle per run. If you have a slow leak, put a spare on, you should have two. If you are airing down and up each day, you're wasting a lot of time and effort that could be spent drinking beer. Biggest downside of running out of air is......driving to a gas station and waiting a long time to fill up once your off-roading is over. Personally, I would drive home on 22lbs before doing that though. It won't hurt the tires, just your gas mileage and possibly even tire wear. If you were really concerned you could buy a ****** 12v compressor as a backup. I've driven 8 hours home from the desert on 22lbs many times, it really is fine.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jondle 22 PSI is a bit too low for me but I've regularly rolled around at 32 to 35 range.
I hear you. 22 to 28 is pretty standard for non-beadlock off-roading. I would never leave my tire that low once I got home and daily on it. I just meant that if I was in a tight spot after off-roading and ran out of air, getting home on 22lbs isn't the end of the world; it isn't going to hurt anything except gas mileage and tire life span, both of which are negligible versus off-road use, and shouldn't be stressed over.

It is why I couldn't justify the hassle of a permanent compressor setup, since I don't have a train horn (@The Car Stereo Company). All that effort, permanent weight, permanent space being taken up in the bed, or getting bagged by rocks under the bed. All so you can get better gas mileage on the drive home from the desert after averaging 8mpg in the desert?

Noah, you should put a valve in to have your compressors shoot additional air into the intake. If you get that working, maybe I'll rethink my compressor/tank situation. :)

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. 22 to 28 is pretty standard for non-beadlock off-roading. I would never leave my tire that low once I got home and daily on it. I just meant that if I was in a tight spot after off-roading and ran out of air, getting home on 22lbs isn't the end of the world; it isn't going to hurt anything except gas mileage and tire life span, both of which are negligible versus off-road use, and shouldn't be stressed over.

It is why I couldn't justify the hassle of a permanent compressor setup, since I don't have a train horn (@The Car Stereo Company). All that effort, permanent weight, permanent space being taken up in the bed, or getting bagged by rocks under the bed. All so you can get better gas mileage on the drive home from the desert after averaging 8mpg in the desert?

Noah, you should put a valve in to have your compressors shoot additional air into the intake. If you get that working, maybe I'll rethink my compressor/tank situation. :)

I have beadlocks (and have had them on 2 of my 3 previous builds) and still I am only willing to go about 12 PSI unless its just a super slow rock trail, which a Raptor probably isnt going to do anyways, I did 2 trails this past week and on those I went around to the 22 to 26 range but afterwards I gave it a tiny bit to sit at 32 to 35 PSI. Even on those back country roads its nice to have a bit of give. The last day I filled up from like 18 to 40ish and it took about a minute a tire including "setup" ...tanks are the way to go.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that doesnt sound too hard. why you want more air in the intake? forced air? haha