Oil on Driver side Valve Head Cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ApacheAg

Reaction score
Hey y’all! I’m sure it’s been covered but want to try to confirm an issue I am having on my truck. Or at least get y’all’s 2 cents on what I should do.

Long story short after a cross country road trip I went to change my spark plugs and noticed small pooling on the driver side valve cover. Not much but for sure noticeable. I scoured the forums and found some similar cases and photos of the same location and same pooling of oil. The consensus was a hairline crack in the valve cover.

Today I dropped my vehicle off for routine maintenance and to have the location inspected (truck is a 2019 w/ approx 57k miles)

Just got a call saying they couldn’t see a crack and/or see where the oil came from and said it probably was from the last time it was serviced (At the same dealership) and it was spilled. Idk seems like that be pretty sloppy work… they cleaned it up and just told me to keep monitoring it every 500 miles or so. Should I be happy with this answer? Should I go elsewhere for a second look? What would you do?

Thanks In advance!

Attachments

• B35E382A-6699-4356-8A27-B2009744E0A3.jpeg
    B35E382A-6699-4356-8A27-B2009744E0A3.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 123

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's leaking, it will show up in 500 miles, keep checking your oil as well at every fill up in case it gets worse. Hopefully just a sloppy tech. Usually the oil change guys are not the same ones doing cam phasers and the like, so the skills are not as sharp or the eye sight.

OP
OP
ApacheAg

ApacheAg

Reaction score
If it's leaking, it will show up in 500 miles, keep checking your oil as well at every fill up in case it gets worse. Hopefully just a sloppy tech. Usually the oil change guys are not the same ones doing cam phasers and the like, so the skills are not as sharp or the eye sight.
That’s the plan, I’ll check after 500 and hope for the best and just monitor closely this next 5k miles. Frustrating if it was just sloppy work. I appreciate both y’all’s input!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s the plan, I’ll check after 500 and hope for the best and just monitor closely this next 5k miles. Frustrating if it was just sloppy work. I appreciate both y’all’s input!
As long as the tech cleaned it up really good, it won't take much to notice it if it is cracked or leaking, that was a mess on there, for sure. At least it is documented already, so they won't just clean it next time if it is leaking.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought here, and maybe already researched....But when I look for leaks, I always consider my old friend GRAVITY, and noting that oil (or anything else) does not flow UP...I go to the very highest oil residue spot and assume it has to be (usually) at the highest spot. Looking at your photo only and the way oil might leak out and down (yellow arrows)...I wonder if it might be the connector there leaking a little? I think that is the Turbo side PCV connector if I am seeing it correctly. Just a thought.

Good luck, and hope it is nothing serious.

DC

B35E382A-6699-4356-8A27-B20.jpg

OP
OP
ApacheAg

ApacheAg

Reaction score
Just a thought here, and maybe already researched....But when I look for leaks, I always consider my old friend GRAVITY, and noting that oil (or anything else) does not flow UP...I go to the very highest oil residue spot and assume it has to be (usually) at the highest spot. Looking at your photo only and the way oil might leak out and down (yellow arrows)...I wonder if it might be the connector there leaking a little? I think that is the Turbo side PCV connector if I am seeing it correctly. Just a thought.

Good luck, and hope it is nothing serious.

DC

View attachment 336466
That’s a good thought, I am probably just gonna inspect each week and I’ll keep that location in mind for a potential source! Appreciate the photo too to drive that point home

OP
OP
ApacheAg

ApacheAg

Reaction score
When my '19 got the cam phaser recall last month, they found and replaced a cracked valve cover while they were in there. Only 24k miles. So the issue definitely exists on 2019s.
Well I’ll tell you what. I just was not satisfied with my answer from the Ford service manager. Today after work I took the engine cover off with one of my coworkers and cleaned the valve cover off well. It’s almost like the mechanic didn’t clean it off. Here is what we found in all of 30 seconds of cleaning and investigating… suspicions confirmed and I am pretty pissed with the laziness of the dealership.

How would y’all handle going back?! Or don’t lol

Side note as this is my only vehicle do you think I would be good to do light driving on it? I still have to get to work!! Just Don’t feel like ******** anything else up.

Attachments

• 972FAC1D-5166-4854-873F-3201CA8BDD61.jpeg
    972FAC1D-5166-4854-873F-3201CA8BDD61.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 46

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’ll tell you what. I just was not satisfied with my answer from the Ford service manager. Today after work I took the engine cover off with one of my coworkers and cleaned the valve cover off well. It’s almost like the mechanic didn’t clean it off. Here is what we found in all of 30 seconds of cleaning and investigating… suspicions confirmed and I am pretty pissed with the laziness of the dealership.

How would y’all handle going back?! Or don’t lol

Side note as this is my only vehicle do you think I would be good to do light driving on it? I still have to get to work!! Just Don’t feel like ******** anything else up.
Good work! And I would say you will be fine. It did not just happen, and not like it will leak all the oil out until you can fix it. I would just be sure to keep tabs on your oil level, just in case. And drive it until you can fix it....And take it back to those lazy techs! :)

Also, you could probably drop a little super glue or JB Weld on the crack, if it would make you feel better until you get it fixed..

Good luck..and Take care.

DC