Oil Filter Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my second oil change on my truck yesterday. For the most part, it was pretty easy - especially after adding the Fumoto drain valve during my first oil change. But the oil filter... what a pain to get off!!!!

I can't get more than one hand in from the skid plate, and accessing from the top isn't much easier. My biggest issue is that I need two hands to use either a band or jaw wrench. The Harbor Freight piece of crap oil wrench I'm using gets stuck on the filter - so tight that I need to use a hammer to get it off.

Out of curiosity, is anyone changing it from the top of the truck rather than the skid plate access hole?

What are you guys using to remove the filter? Band, fluted wrench, etc? If you're using a wrench style, what brand?

Is anyone removing the hard plastic hose that practically sits up against the filter?

IMG_0330.jpeg

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
bottom.....no tool......hand tight, hand remove.

make sure you put some oil on the gasket before putting it back on. after 2 or 3 changes, you get the hang of it.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I usually barely tighten with the wrench... usually 1/8 turn after hand tight. Not anymore. And I always put a little oil around the gasket.

I'll give the hand tighten a try next time around.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the bottom thru the access.
Done it twice by hand.
Hand tighten back on.

Also installed the fumoto drain valve and that alone eliminates a lot of mess.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the bottom thru the access.
Done it twice by hand.
Hand tighten back on.

Also installed the fumoto drain valve and that alone eliminates a lot of mess.

Thanks! Yeah... LOVE the Fumoto drain valve... so much easier and no mess!

I installed the Fumoto F107SX SX Series Drain Valve

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I've been thinking about dropping the entire skid plate. How much of a pain is it getting it back on?
4-bolts. Super easy. I am doing it with all four tires on the ground. The first time I just removed the little access panel and fought it like crazy. From them on I just drop the the entire skid plate. Access is much easier. Also gives you a good opportunity to see how everything looks and check for leaks or damage.