Oil change schedule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run Royal Purple 5-30w in my Raptor. It has set in the garage for most of the Winter. My question is how long can you go with out changing the oil. I was always told 3 months or 3k miles. I may have 300 miles on this oil change. Do you still have to change your oil due to time restraints with todays synthetic grade oils? I just feel like I have been wasting money in the past by prematurely changing the oil.

12 months or 10,000 miles on model synthetics and engines. anything more frequent is just burning money.

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my 2020 SCAB for 1 year now. Did my first at 2500 and doing my secund next week at 5000. Now that its fully broke in I'll stick to the 5k /12 months.
Full synthetic, and of course Shell 93 only !!!

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil signature series says it can go 20,000 miles in between oil changes. I do mine once a year.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amsoil signature series says it can go 20,000 miles in between oil changes. I do mine once a year.

I run Amsoil SS and it's a good oil. According to my UOA, I can go about 6300 miles. Not really sure if I would want to go 20k miles.

D

Deleted member 17706

I run Amsoil SS and it's a good oil. According to my UOA, I can go about 6300 miles. Not really sure if I would want to go 20k miles.

Your UOA? Are you talking about your oil life gauge/monitor on your vehicle? Those do not accurately measure the state of the oil. Under severe conditions, I can still get 10-12k on the AMSOIL SS. No way your viscosity, TBN, and so on is to the point that you need to change it at 5-6k miles—lol unless you are driving like Ken Block.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your UOA? Are you talking about your oil life gauge/monitor on your vehicle? Those do not accurately measure the state of the oil. Under severe conditions, I can still get 10-12k on the AMSOIL SS. No way your viscosity, TBN, and so on is to the point that you need to change it at 5-6k miles—lol unless you are driving like Ken Block.

Blackstone used oil analysis. Looks like 7k miles max.

DBA9E908-EDB5-456A-87B9-B5C04D371B56.jpeg

D

Deleted member 17706

Blackstone used oil analysis. Looks like 7k miles max.

View attachment 164084

Interesting. Your TBN is good, but your viscosity is not the best. I haven’t tested my 20 Raptor yet because it only has 5k miles on it. I changed the oil at 3500 miles for wear metals and will do it another time prior to 10k miles just to be safe. But this test was from my previous Raptor with 12k miles on the oil with about 90k miles on the truck. Similar viscosity as yours, but my TBN is half yours:

13565BA4-A8D2-4CDD-959A-8360673471FB.jpeg

Do you use an AMSOIL oil filter? Do you do a lot of idling?

davea

Reaction score
Most people don"t know that oil doesent wear out, it gets contaminated. Thats why we have a oil filter, andwhen the filter gets full of particales we need to change it and the oil.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. Your TBN is good, but your viscosity is not the best. I haven’t tested my 20 Raptor yet because it only has 5k miles on it. I changed the oil at 3500 miles for wear metals and will do it another time prior to 10k miles just to be safe. But this test was from my previous Raptor with 12k miles on the oil with about 90k miles on the truck. Similar viscosity as yours, but my TBN is half yours:

View attachment 164095

Do you use an AMSOIL oil filter? Do you do a lot of idling?

I use a Motorcraft filter. I don’t do a ton of idling - mixed city/highway.