Oil change schedule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Royal Purple 5-30w in my Raptor. It has set in the garage for most of the Winter. My question is how long can you go with out changing the oil. I was always told 3 months or 3k miles. I may have 300 miles on this oil change. Do you still have to change your oil due to time restraints with todays synthetic grade oils? I just feel like I have been wasting money in the past by prematurely changing the oil.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot has changed since that 3 month 3K miles rule was prudent. Both in engine and oil technology.

The guidelines I follow: 4-5K miles / 12 months. Pretty sure there is no exact answer. I use the 12 month rule on my motorcycles as well, even though my 1190R can run thousands of miles between changes, I change it every spring without putting anywhere near the miles on it as allowed in the manual.

I run Shell 93 gas only and use Shell Gas Truck Synthetic oil and WIX 57502XP filters in my Raptor. I use Motorex oil in my KTM's.

I bet you get a different answer from nearly everyone who responds.

Last edited:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the time portion of blank months/blank miles is to cover if a vehicle idles a lot or is mostly city driven and not necessarily “shelf life” or in this case “oil pan life”. It seems like a better gauge would probably be engine hours per change or better yet revolutions per oil change.

I am not completely sure but I think oil might start to become somewhat corrosive overtime, or loses its ability to combat corrosion.

D

Deleted member 17706

You should change any full synthetic oil after 12 months. But you should really do an oil analysis and allow the science to dictate when you need to change the oil.

Case and point, I just got an oil analysis test back this week for my daily driver (not my Raptor). I had 15k miles on the AMSOIL SS 5W-30 and AMSOIL filter and the oil was still in great shape—no wear metals, TBN still good, and so on. Based on the science, I could have easily gotten another 2500-5000 miles on that oil depending on driving conditions. But I went ahead and changed everything given that summer is approaching. I am always tempted to change my oil at 10k miles, but there is no point when I get results like this:

62E7C1D6-948B-464C-8B2A-D44420F6274F.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are not driving any vehicle much, you should just change the oil every year or the required km.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do annual or 5k on everything. Never had a problem with it, oil analysis have been fine.

If your curious about it get a test kit from Blackstone. Will give you details and advice on changing frequency.