Oil change on late production 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Grab a 10 mm socket, slide under from the passenger side and take off the cover. It will take all of 5 minutes to peek up there and get your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHnewbie

Reaction score
"If you want to know just kneel down and look under the truck, it’s easy. "

OK - I can do that. Didn't know how visible the pan would be with the skid plate in place.

"Yikes! Changed mine at under 1k. I would advise against having the dealer do it."

Yeah, I have reservations about having the dealer do it, but I don't have the tools or warm shop to do it myself (Temp here today 22 deg.) I have done my own oil changes is the distant past for a wide range of motor vehicles and aircraft but have had no problems with dealer service in recent decades. To be honest, changing oil myself lost its charm a long time ago. I have maintained my vehicles in accordance with manufacturer recommendations and Ford says do it when the oil condition monitor indicates it is necessary. I am just now getting this message with 5% Oil Life showing remaining. This truck has an easy life, so not surprised that it is showing an oil change about every 10K miles.

This is my first Ford (and U.S. vehicle) ever, and the online reviews of the local Ford dealer service departments are not encouraging. If getting decent service becomes an issue, I'll go back to Tundras.

I talked to the parts dept at my closest dealer and they tell me that my manufacture date is right on the dividing line, so eyeballing it will be necessary. I seem to remember other posts here stating (perhaps incorrectly) that Ford is replacing the plastic pans with metal under warranty. Any confirmation of this?

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a better designed locking mechanism. It seems like it could theoretically open inadvertently, thus the need for the clip. However, in the Raptor, the plates should keep that from happening. On other cars, I'm not too sure.
My son is a mechanic who (when he was the FNG) did a lot of oil changes and inspections. I was going to put them on my car and talked with him about it.

He said over half the cars that came in with those had leaks. Unscientific of course, could just mean he saw a lot of cars from owners who didn't care much, but still.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think this is true. There are threads where some owners have had leaks due the plastic pan and Ford has replaced the plastic pan with another plastic pan

I seem to remember other posts here stating (perhaps incorrectly) that Ford is replacing the plastic pans with metal under warranty. Any confirmation of this?

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"If you want to know just kneel down and look under the truck, it’s easy. "

OK - I can do that. Didn't know how visible the pan would be with the skid plate in place.

"Yikes! Changed mine at under 1k. I would advise against having the dealer do it."

Yeah, I have reservations about having the dealer do it, but I don't have the tools or warm shop to do it myself (Temp here today 22 deg.) I have done my own oil changes is the distant past for a wide range of motor vehicles and aircraft but have had no problems with dealer service in recent decades. To be honest, changing oil myself lost its charm a long time ago. I have maintained my vehicles in accordance with manufacturer recommendations and Ford says do it when the oil condition monitor indicates it is necessary. I am just now getting this message with 5% Oil Life showing remaining. This truck has an easy life, so not surprised that it is showing an oil change about every 10K miles.

While there is something to be said about doing a job yourself (to make sure it is done right), there is also something to be said about having someone who does 100 of these a day do it. They should *hopefully* have learnt all of the quirks (like where stuff drips) and do a good job based on experience.
Great write-up otherwise - will certainly help others!

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While there is something to be said about doing a job yourself (to make sure it is done right), there is also something to be said about having someone who does 100 of these a day do it. They should *hopefully* have learnt all of the quirks (like where stuff drips) and do a good job based on experience.
Hopefully...... key word!!

WMRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try Dimple magnets. For the oil pan they’re just meh and don’t do much.

Great for the rear diff if it doesn’t have one already.

I run dimples drain plugs on my race car they work very well. They claim all the little extra specs they get stuck to them reduce wear over the engine life. For the cost its worth it to me. Have to see what they got for the Raptor. I actually found a half of my turbo shaft clip stuck to it one time and was super worried it was from my new engine. If I didn't have it could of done a lot of damage.

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
Service department told me first oil change was at 7500 miles on my 2018 synthetic blend ...that I purchased at below MSRP...sorry had to add that

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I generally agree and probably half of my recent oil changes have been done at a dealer (typically because they are part of a free maintenance plan on leased cars where I want dealer documented maintenance records). However, somewhere on this board is a story from a member where he took his truck in to his Ford dealer for an oil change and when he got it home he found that the oil filter had not been changed. He knew it because he had written the date he had previously changed the oil on the filter. IIRC, the oil had not been changed either as when they drained the "new" oil it was obviously old. So the mechanic had evidently turned the paperwork in without performing the work. While I'm sure this is a rare occurrence, you just never know.

One time I had an oil change done, drove home and when I went out the next morning I found my new oil drained out all over the floor. They hadn't tightened the drain plug and it all leaked out overnight. Thankfully the drain plug hadn't fallen off so I was able to tighten it and add oil without having to call a tow truck to take it to them. Again, this is definitely not the norm but don't be too naive as to think that a dealer, or anyone else, will do it right just because they do it all day every day.

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service department told me first oil change was at 7500 miles on my 2018 synthetic blend ...that I purchased at below MSRP...sorry had to add that

Pretty sad that they don't even know the recommendation. Not sure what paying under MSRP for oil has to do with it though ;)