Offroading Adventure - May 7 2011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Man, JP, I'm soooo jealous! Makes you feel like a kid again, huh?

You're definately getting your money's worth on that Raptor!

Mad - after a lot of thought, you're exactly right. From the age of 15 to 27 I built or wrenched on many 4x4's and it was pretty much a lifestyle outside of work. The amount of time it takes to swap tranny's, motors, axles etc. was ok then because I was young, and based on budget allowances, I could do one piece at a time and feel the thrill of the improvements each time. Our club had runs Friday nights, Saturday nights, and Sunday mornings - and some weeks it was a challenge to 'duct tape' enough parts together to make the run.

But now I'm old, and in a position where 70 hours a week isn't always enough. And the type of hours I put in is resemblant to a lawyer - confict resolution or mediation is at least 60% of my time. So at the end of the day, I don't have a lot of energy to do a tranny swap let alone an oil change! Having and maintaining a $3,000 beater is just not an option right now. Beaters are great, based on the fact that you drive it like you stole it - but they ultimately involve money, and more importantly, time - to keep running.

Ford created this little monster at a perfect time in my life. Divorce, getting back on my feet from ground zero, a time consuming career - and out comes a turn key offroad weapon that requires no modifications to enjoy in many types of terrain. Re-lived old times? Hell yeah. Restored that young feeling again - double hell yeah.
Sure, it came with a price tag of 58 grand (canadian) but I can honestly confirm that it's worth every penny. If I had to sell at 10 grand tomorrow, I would simply smile, as the 8 months of fun I've had have made up for years of smiles and memories.

You're right - I feel like a kid again :) . Although a kid with an adult concience. I had a 19 yr old passenger on this run, and it certainly affected the level of preparedness for the dangerous parts with steep drop offs. There were several parts of the trail which could have ended in demise for both driver and passenger - I am much less fearfull when I am the only occupant - but when someone else's life is at stake, that raises the bar for making the run without a mistake.

But that's all part of wheeling. Knowing the limits and at times, pushing the envelope.

All in all, I agree - I have re-lived my mis-spent youth, and can't wait for the next run in the trails.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
231177_10150241288144283_661084282_8720939_2113943_n.jpg

OMG! I get mad when someone tracks a little dust on my floor mats! Hope you have a good carpet cleaner

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
OMG! I get mad when someone tracks a little dust on my floor mats! Hope you have a good carpet cleaner

It's all good - I spent an hour on the inside and there's not a spec of dirt anywhere. An hour and a half at the wash bay, and she's now clean inside and out.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
It's all good - I spent an hour on the inside and there's not a spec of dirt anywhere. An hour and a half at the wash bay, and she's now clean inside and out.

Prove it!:birgits_tiredcoffee
We need some pics. Will be the best before and after shots.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shit, it would take me the whole weekend, and I wouldn't make out of the drivers side to clean that up! Nice JP, In am very envious-

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Great post JP!
confict resolution or mediation is at least 60% of my time
I should've known that from how you've graciously responded to some inciteful posts on here.

I, on the other hand, tend to open my pie-hole without thinking usually.:crazy:

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score

wow, thats alot of work.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Prove it!:birgits_tiredcoffee
We need some pics. Will be the best before and after shots.

As requested... Here's a few from tonight.

Running boards were dirty by the time I got home from the pressure washer, as we had another hailstorm. If anyone can zoom in on the driveway under the truck, that's Nevada mud that fell off once I got back :ROFLJest:

227881_10150243161499283_661084282_8741936_3433321_n.jpg

New "Rocky mountain pin-striping"...

228254_10150243161559283_661084282_8741937_959091_n.jpg

And aside from my ******** getting the floormat dirty coming out of the wash bay with dirty boots - interior turned out almost as good as new.

227397_10150243161599283_661084282_8741938_4117530_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Great post JP!

I should've known that from how you've graciously responded to some inciteful posts on here.

I, on the other hand, tend to open my pie-hole without thinking usually.:crazy:

Thanks bro. I find nice gets you a lot further than the other option - however I always haveas backup the Capone statement from one of my favourite movies "The Untouchables". In my old neighborhood, you get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun, than with just a kind word. DeNiro just had a cool way of stating that line.

As for pie-holes - my edit switch gets shut off occasionally dependent on the blood level alcohol level:)