Off-Roading Essential’s - What I Carry on the Trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I saw your jack and it’s a good one. But I use the common Hi-Lift because it can also pull. I broke my come-along and my current setup doesn’t have a winch(yet). I mostly off road with a buddy or two but if I went along I would add a land anchor. Also need traction boards before I go out again.
I would also add soft shackles since my Raptor lacks the sliders my Power Wagon has as I have plenty of places to jack against with those but I use soft shackles on my rims to use with the Hi-Lift jack.

Edit: just saw MAXTRAX traction boards on the list.
I have the HD Pull-Pal but dam that thing is heavy so it stays home mostly now. I was going to sell it to a member here but the shipping was just stupid.
Hi lift sits in the garage. You have to be creative to use it on the Raptor. A bottle jack or the ProEagle will do almost anything I need. If high centered jack it up, push it off. With my luck the Hi-lift would kick out and kill me lol :banghead::banana-mario:

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Apparently a Dodge has left you stranded and you are still hurt. Haha. J/K
Pretty good list you have there. What do you weigh in at? I assume you are running Deavers as well?
I don’t know a Deaver from a Beaver :chair::favorites37: I’ve taken all 3 of my Raptors since 2010 to Skips Springs, he’s been inVegas about 50 years.
John-Skip the backend is sitting 2” lower than the front, 3” when the RV is attached.
Skip- Ok, pick it up tomorrow at 1600
John- Thank you Skip, when is your son taking over and you retiring?
Skip-Get out of here while you can still walk

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew, that's a list, John. After so many years of doing it, I'm sure you've collected items for every contingency you've experienced or thought of.

I like your idea of radios and proper footwear/clothing if you have to 2xfoot. It's the kind of gear I always have as I'm comfortable being use to traveling long miles over very tough terrain. I always want to be prepared to bail out on foot and cover ground.

I usually have water-treatment options in the truck as well. Water supply is usually adequate in the truck, but there's no way I'm going to be able run with a 3-gallon rotopax of water if I have to leave the truck. I carry the Steripen and Grayl water-bottle filter, with the Steripen being the first thing to reach for.

Also, get rid of the tampons! :p There are much better options for GSW plugs/gauze out there that aren't that expensive if you're not even using them once a year, and tampons are really only good for sticking (painfully) in the hole.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you yet again John for spending more of my money...:rolleyes:

Some stuff I have that you don't have listed:
Battery operated impact wrench...w/ spare battery & charger
Battery operated chainsaw...w/ spare battery & charger, chain, bar, etc.
>>Manual tools as backup for when technology fails<<

Grill/propane/french press/coffee grinder....gotta rough it in style...
Water purification for above coffee if i run out of what i brought

Planning to get hitch mount tire carrier to relocate spare when off roading, then eventually a second spare when i get new tires

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I attached the link to FSS Forest Service Supplys, above for the Come-along. They have a lot of great stuff there.
It was a while back that another member here turned us on to it. Check out the YouTube videos on it. Super cheap winch option but more work of course.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Whew, that's a list, John. After so many years of doing it, I'm sure you've collected items for every contingency you've experienced or thought of.

I like your idea of radios and proper footwear/clothing if you have to 2xfoot. It's the kind of gear I always have as I'm comfortable being use to traveling long miles over very tough terrain. I always want to be prepared to bail out on foot and cover ground.

I usually have water-treatment options in the truck as well. Water supply is usually adequate in the truck, but there's no way I'm going to be able run with a 3-gallon rotopax of water if I have to leave the truck. I carry the Steripen and Grayl water-bottle filter, with the Steripen being the first thing to reach for.

Also, get rid of the tampons! :p There are much better options for GSW plugs/gauze out there that aren't that expensive if you're not even using them once a year, and tampons are really only good for sticking (painfully) in the hole.
Great idea on water treatment. Now I have to get mine out of my backpack stuff and put it in the Raptor. My issue here of course is finding any water to treat LOL
If anyone happens to roll out with me I make sure they have proper 4xFoot gear.
YOUR P-I-S-S POOR PRIOR PLANNING-DOES NOT CREATE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART ;) baaaaahaaaaa

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Thank you yet again John for spending more of my money...:rolleyes:

Some stuff I have that you don't have listed:
Battery operated impact wrench...w/ spare battery & charger
Battery operated chainsaw...w/ spare battery & charger, chain, bar, etc.
>>Manual tools as backup for when technology fails<<

Grill/propane/french press/coffee grinder....gotta rough it in style...
Water purification for above coffee if i run out of what i brought

Planning to get hitch mount tire carrier to relocate spare when off roading, then eventually a second spare when i get new tires
Oops, I forgot to list the bag of misc tools, not that I can fix anything on the Raptor lol, I opted for the Breaker-Bar instead of the Impact wrench but every time I’m in Lowes I stop and stare at the $250 one :(
I plan on mounting my spare onto the CargoGlide when I switch to a shell. All of the hitch mount carriers I looked at seemed cumbersome and decreased the departure angle more than I could live with. I’ve been looking for 11yrs now for the bumper mounted swing-away carrier like the Jeeps and old Broncos. No luck yet :(

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I attached the link to FSS Forest Service Supplys, above for the Come-along. They have a lot of great stuff there.
It was a while back that another member here turned us on to it. Check out the YouTube videos on it. Super cheap winch option but more work of course.
Thanks! was just searching on this

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, I forgot to list the bag of misc tools, not that I can fix anything on the Raptor lol, I opted for the Breaker-Bar instead of the Impact wrench but every time I’m in Lowes I stop and stare at the $250 one :(
I plan on mounting my spare onto the CargoGlide when I switch to a shell. All of the hitch mount carriers I looked at seemed cumbersome and decreased the departure angle more than I could live with. I’ve been looking for 11yrs now for the bumper mounted swing-away carrier like the Jeeps and old Broncos. No luck yet :(
Agreed on preferring the bumper mounted one, but seems you need a toyota or jeep to get one...and i'm impatient