Off-Roading Essential’s - What I Carry on the Trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Well here it is…A fairly comprehensive list of what I deem Essential to carry with me on the Trail. Before you start Cracking on me and pulling my Manny Bun, keep in mind that I’m flying Solo the majority of the time. The Majority of my Load-out has been gained from 30+ years on the Trail, learning from other folks from what they carry and why. Some of the other things I carry are from lessons learned on the Trail, what I wish I had at the time but didn’t.
I’m Not a hardcore Off-Roader by any 44EFFFCB-2211-4F3C-B3A4-EF9F2BE3D712.jpeg86A99CB7-4F49-45EE-A22F-B5555EF1C91F.jpegA5214701-BA0F-49E3-8DF8-792AA3E0086C.jpegBA08D1A8-B6DF-433D-8969-AD981B347C2C.jpeg631DB18D-98EE-4B4F-9C99-E714214F3453.jpegstretch of the imagination. I mostly run Scenic Trails where I capture a lot of images to bore you with later. I venture in to some “Challenging “ terrain but that is the exception, not the rule. I’ve had several close encounters, coming close to rolling down a cliff or sliding off a ridge line into the abyss. Age sometimes brings knowledge, I look at things and evaluate them more carefully than I use to, can I make it? W-T-F let’s give it a go vs I could make it, probably, but if I don’t??
I will get out and walk a section of a trail, where before I would have just gone ahead… My Raptor is my every day ride, if I break it, I’m fxxcked.
The majority of my Rescue/Recovery gear has been used to help other folks and I will give Rescue Tails from The Trail, either here or in a separate thread.
I hope this helps some FRF members that are just starting out and wondering what they should take with them on The Trail, just as I did.
I would REALLY APPRECIATE it if other folks would contribute to this thread with their thoughts and suggestions on what they carry and why? I’m sure it will give me a MFing list of more stuff to add to my load-out.
Again keep in mind, I fly solo, I’m in the Desert, Rocks, Sand, etc. the majority of the time. The Adventure will dictate any additional gear needed, ie; Deep into the GCPNM, I will add some gas cans.
FAILING TO PREPARE-IS PREPARING TO FAIL!!

Pictures first, followed by the list of what you are seeing.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
1. Multiple flashlights & headlamps-I’m afraid of the dark
2. Multiple knives, machetes, clubs, saws-things often need to be cut, chopped or beat (desert body disposal)
3. Hats-It can get to 130 degrees, you can never have enough hats
4. Sunscreen,bug juice-Self explanatory
5. Maps-Getting lost s-u-cks
6. Water/Cooler w/drinks-It’s hot as Fxxk here. I can go 6hrs w/o food,10min w/o water. Stranded-No Water=Dead
7. Battery jump box/cables-Used often to help folks
8. Fire starter-Lighters, Flares(dual purpose)
9. Carabiners-Many uses, MOST IMPORTANTLY, Makes you look Rugged and Kool in the Starbucks drive through
10. Dog Bed-Naps
11. First Aid Kit -Including Cactus Tweezers
12. Backpacks, Jackets Hiking boots-You never know when you 4xFoot
13.Handheld CB-Line of sight range, used for talking to yourself because no one else can FNING here you
14. Binoculars-for seeing stuff
15. In Reach Rescue Communicator- Insurance won’t pay if they can’t find the body!

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
16. Muckers-It rains here 2X a year and can get muddy
17. MAXTRAX- My Most Used Rescue/Recovery Item
18. Hiking Sticks-4 legs are better than 2, especially when you have a jacked up body
19. Bungee cords-lots of them 4 Bungeeing stuff
20. Shovels-4 digging holes for body disposal
21. Ax/hatchet- 4 chopping up stuff (see#20 above)
22. Lopping Shears-4 landscaping the desert and reducing Desert Pinstripes
23. Cut-Resistant Gloves-4 reducing the risk of chopping off your finger with the machete
24. Collapsible Dog Bowls-food/water for vicious hounds
25. Duct tape-4 everything in life. Like a knife, no respectable man should be w/o one
26. Tampons-4 GSW, help stop blood loss
27. Emergency Blanket-Desert is cold at night
28. Slim Jim’s-4 breaking into other Raptors
29. Tire Deflators-2 types, just in case I’m ever Not to Lazy to Air-down
30. Pro-Eagle Jack-Breaker Bar-Tire Repair/Plugging kit- 4 Tire related stuff

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw your jack and it’s a good one. But I use the common Hi-Lift because it can also pull. I broke my come-along and my current setup doesn’t have a winch(yet). I mostly off road with a buddy or two but if I went along I would add a land anchor. Also need traction boards before I go out again.
I would also add soft shackles since my Raptor lacks the sliders my Power Wagon has as I have plenty of places to jack against with those but I use soft shackles on my rims to use with the Hi-Lift jack.

Edit: just saw MAXTRAX traction boards on the list.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
31. Soft and Hard Shackles (various sizes) and Knetic Energy strap-4 light duty pulls to rescue other folks
32. Air Compressor- Just in case I’m ever No to Lazy to Air-down
33. Trash bags, paper towels-4 lunch and collecting other MFers trash
34. Bag of Misc Ropes-4 doing Rope Shxt
35. Large Kinetic Energy Rope-4 Yanking out your friends P-o-s Dodge when he’s buried it to the frame!
36. SuperDuty Come-along- 4 pulling your azzz or your friends Dodge out when all else fails ($450 vs $2500 for Warn Zeon 10s)
37. Hitch w/D-ring Attachment- When your friend realizes that his Dodge is Not A Raptor and he doesn’t have ANY RECOVERY POINTS!
38. 4” Tow-strap- 4 pulling out your friends 1-ton Dodge and towing it to the Dodge dealership where it can sit for 2 months while they try to figure it out (Note-bad idea to try and use a tow-strap for kinetic energy YANKS, things will break and folks will get hurt)
39. Chem lights- EVERY KOOL RUGGED DUDE Carrie’s some Chem lights, pop one in the Starbucks drive through after dark and watch the hot-chicks flock to your Raptor
40. Spare Air Compressor-see #32 above
41. XL Mud Gloves-4 the 2X it rains here or Duck Hunting
42. J-Hooks with D-ring strap - for Rescue /Recovery of those ( special folks/short bus) that have Zero Recovery Points and find themselves stuck like a MFer (driving your Celica into a Runaway Truck Ramp, driving your Mustang up to Mount Charleston when it’s snowing)
43. Several Extra Cleats on your Diamondback Cover- 4 Trying shxt down and looking Extra Rugged and Kool
44. Ratchet Straps- 4 Ratcheting shxt down and light duty rescue pulls( your child’s trike in the mud)
45. CAMERA- 4 Capturing all of Your Raptoring Adventures!!
46. Bag of Miscellaneous Tools- Not that I know how to use any of them

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently a Dodge has left you stranded and you are still hurt. Haha. J/K
Pretty good list you have there. What do you weigh in at? I assume you are running Deavers as well?

Last edited: