OEM lugs are warped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinman44

Reaction score
So the OEM lugs are steel with a chrome shell and after so many rotations these lugs will warp. Which aftermarket should I look at? The gorillas look best in the market however the bevel circumference is so much slimmer. This feels like something I should be concerned with.

OP
OP
T

tinman44

Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure I'm going gorilla however still curious why OEM lugs are so much wider than OE spec aftermarket. Can anyone shed light if this is a legitimate safety concern?

MattSVTM3

Reaction score
Gorilla is definitely the best way to go. Running them with my KMC wheels now and could not be happier. They also look much better than OEM.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure I'm going gorilla however still curious why OEM lugs are so much wider than OE spec aftermarket. Can anyone shed light if this is a legitimate safety concern?

Are you looking at the skinny splined ones? Those are for aftermarket wheels that are poorly designed and cannot take stock lug nuts. I just swapped some black Gorilla lugs on in place of my stockers and it used the same size socket as stock.

Reaction score
I went with Gorilla, can't complain they are way better than the stock shit. Showing slight signs of rust after a year, if corrosion is a concern maybe not the best option.

I know this post was several years ago but how long did they last before you had to replace them again? Leaning towards Gorilla myself but all the posts talking about rust concern me.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this post was several years ago but how long did they last before you had to replace them again? Leaning towards Gorilla myself but all the posts talking about rust concern me.
Still running the same set, zero issues, surface rust hasn't really changed, mostly where the key engages the splines (see pic). Lived in NM for 2 years when I first got 'em, moved to central AR for about 4 years, now southern TX. I use an impact with the key socket to rotate tires every 3k and I keep thinking that will fail but nope. Pretty sure the people that reported bad rust problems were up north where they like to salt the roads and EVERYTHING rusts, but using the impact probably contributes to wearing off the finish as well. Definitely still recommend them over stock.
IMG_6490.JPG

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate, the stock lug nuts will last a long time if the proper socket is used. Improper socket fit will cause distortion of the cap over time and then when you try to use the proper socket it will not fit. Improper use of an impact wrench will cause this to happen much sooner. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have rotated my tires 35+ times and not a single lug nut has distorted.