Nitto Mud Grapplers - or other deep treads noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I found a few videos on youtube like this:

nitto mud grapplers howl - YouTube

Those are some loud tires at speed!

I've got an electric cutout on my Raptor, but I've grown used to it... I like it loud and I am really no longer self conscious of it... sometimes I have to check the button to make sure the kids haven't touched it and partially closed the valve.

The only time I close the valve is if I get a cell phone call in the cab and want less noise to hear... or if my wife complains about it (she rarely rides with me in the truck)...

So I'm wondering if the tire "howl" is something most people get used to or not? I drive all of a total 8 miles to and from work each day.... maybe once every 8-12 weeks we drive to Atlanta (100 miles) for dinner.... when I'm due for new tires, I'd like to have a more aggressive tread and appearance.

What say you?

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an aggressive tire that doesn't have too much road noise, I would reccomend you look into the BFG KM2. I am seriously considering these and have driven a Raptor with these as 37's and they seem great. I'm currently using a General Grabber race 37" and these things make the truck sound like a tank cruising down the road.

SDHQ GOODGUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
horrible tire!, alot of noise, not very good mileage, the km2 is way better tire for on and offroad. maybe look at the toyo m/t. we have customers getting 30+k on their superduty's with them.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an aggressive tire that doesn't have too much road noise, I would reccomend you look into the BFG KM2. I am seriously considering these and have driven a Raptor with these as 37's and they seem great. I'm currently using a General Grabber race 37" and these things make the truck sound like a tank cruising down the road.

Nice tires..... Might be my upgrade when its time

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyo's have a pretty good howl to them but nothing that has grown overbearing in the 7 years I have had them on vehicles. I got just about 50k (mostly highway miles) out of my prior set of 37x13.50 20 Toyo MT's... I am not sure I will be able to say the same about the 38x15.50 20's I replaced them with... they have been nothing but a pain in the ass.

I compared the tread depth on a Nitto Trail grap, nitto Mud Grap and the tread depth on my Toyo MT's and it was a pretty significant difference. Toyo's have some DEEEEP tread. I have heard pretty mixed reviews on the Nitto trail graps, some love um and some hate um. The Nitto Mud graps are great for a vehicle off raod in disgusting muddy clay muck 90% of the time, but on road they are terrible!! and you will be replacing them by 20k if not sooner..

The only drawback on the KM2's is the price, but I have only ever looked at 20" rim tire sizes... any tire for a 20" rim plus is pricy.. I bet they are drastically cheaper for 17's or 18's.

Last edited:

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Mark - don't even look at anything made by Interco. Most of their aggressive tires sound like a Japanese Zero coming in for a landing...

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My Toyos are aggressive looking and have lasted 34K miles right now. 2 of them need to be replaced because Nissan let me drive on broken front struts for ~9 months. I don't blame Toyo for that.

As for noise, I can't say anything about the bigger sizes (37-38) like FX4life is referring to, but my Toyos have been pretty quiet. Especially when they were newer, they were very quiet. They only got loud when the warped tires from the front axle got swapped over to the rear axle.

FWIW, tire size is 33x12.50x20.

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My BFG KM2s started off fairly quiet, but now after about 10k miles make a pretty loud howl - moreso than my Borla...

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 37" Cooper Discoverer STT's on my H2 and they were reasonably quiet. They replaced the factory BFG's (same size as the Raptor comes with) and they weren't any louder than the all terrains with 40K miles on them.

I only ran them for about 10K miles but they never bothered me. The only complaint was at really slow speeds, you could feel the tread if that makes sense. It's a mud tire vs. an AT thing though. All mud tires I've dealt with had a bumpy feel at super slow (like even slow for a parking lot) speeds. Once you were moving, it was fine.

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Toyos are aggressive looking and have lasted 34K miles right now. 2 of them need to be replaced because Nissan let me drive on broken front struts for ~9 months. I don't blame Toyo for that.

As for noise, I can't say anything about the bigger sizes (37-38) like FX4life is referring to, but my Toyos have been pretty quiet. Especially when they were newer, they were very quiet. They only got loud when the warped tires from the front axle got swapped over to the rear axle.

FWIW, tire size is 33x12.50x20.

I'd agree with that, they are very quiet when new. Surprisingly quiet for an MT. Mine where loudest in there last 5k, just before they where bald they where howling. It seems like it would be the exact opposite; loud when new, quiet when worn out...