Newbie Questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Haven't gotten my Raptor yet but seriously considering as my first major mod, getting some lights. I am a little leery because there appears to be a huge difference in brand quality and types of lights.

First off, I like the look that I've seen of the four round lights in front but heard that it somewhat blocks the view of the front camera? Also can those mount without an aftermarket bumper? If the camera isn't blocked, what does a typical full setup end up costing?

Because I don't want to block the front camera and already spent the money on a NAV-TV unit so I can use that camera, my next thought are the light bars behind the grill. Because price does play somewhat of a factor, I found that M&R has a combo deal for a 40" and 30" for $950. Compared to other brands, that is like half the price. I see that M&R is a supported vendor here and tried to read through their threads. Only low quality item appears to be the fog kit based on one thread. For the money are they the best bet? I really didn't want to spend a couple thousand on lights. I did PM Mik a couple days ago, nothing so thought he responds better via email but haven't done that yet.

I hear good things about Rigid's but don't understand all the series (E, E2, SR, SR2, etc) plus others brands are like that too. They seem pricey though.

And just curious, do you regain anything back for resale considering how expensive lights can be?

Sorry for all the N00b questions.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
there are a ton of options out there for lighting and its really personal preferance from there some like the high end lights better and others like the more cost affective lights i have both on my truck and im not biased when it comes to lights. but the more expensive ones do tend to throw out light further and most have a lifetime warranty which is nice!

as for the question on the lettering i know that the E series is the double row. the SR is the single row and the number after i'm not sure about but that's about it!

as for resale depending on where the light is mounted and how beat up it gets you can usually get a good chunk back when you sell them

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't gotten my Raptor yet but seriously considering as my first major mod, getting some lights. I am a little leery because there appears to be a huge difference in brand quality and types of lights.

First off, I like the look that I've seen of the four round lights in front but heard that it somewhat blocks the view of the front camera? Also can those mount without an aftermarket bumper? If the camera isn't blocked, what does a typical full setup end up costing?

Because I don't want to block the front camera and already spent the money on a NAV-TV unit so I can use that camera, my next thought are the light bars behind the grill. Because price does play somewhat of a factor, I found that M&R has a combo deal for a 40" and 30" for $950. Compared to other brands, that is like half the price. I see that M&R is a supported vendor here and tried to read through their threads. Only low quality item appears to be the fog kit based on one thread. For the money are they the best bet? I really didn't want to spend a couple thousand on lights. I did PM Mik a couple days ago, nothing so thought he responds better via email but haven't done that yet.

I hear good things about Rigid's but don't understand all the series (E, E2, SR, SR2, etc) plus others brands are like that too. They seem pricey though.

And just curious, do you regain anything back for resale considering how expensive lights can be?

Sorry for all the N00b questions.

Man I am in your boat. Lots of options and some of these light web sites are really bad with little or no worthwhile information. Now saying all that M&R has some outstanding customer service. I would guess for the price those are "made in china" lights but hell if they work and have a decent warranty who the hell cares. M&R is an excellent vendor so the support should be there if there are any issues. Good luck.........

KKILLIAN

Reaction score
I've been very happy with my Baja Designs lights. I have both LEDs and HIDs. Very high quality and bright.

Last edited:

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with the 8" hid set-up and it does not block the front camera. You can see them on the sides of the screen but they are out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 44

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally I'd rank the popular lights on this forum as:

Good: Blackhawk, M&R
Better: Rigid Industries
Best: Baja Designs, Vision X

Prices pretty much follow suit.

Keep in mind that the grille is going to block some of the output of any lights behind it; I haven't witnessed this first hand, but I've read it blocks as much as 40%. Also, because of the design of the grille, a spot pattern (10º beam) will shine through the grille better than a driving or flood style beam.

When you mention resale, are you talking about resale value of the lights alone or adding resale value to the truck? You can get a decent return on the lights if they're in good condition. The lights will probably add pennies on the dollar to the value of the truck.

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most lights I've seen are on after market bumpers. Which gives you even more decisions! Unless you instal some leds behind the grill or the small light canons on the rear hood mounts.

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep in mind Blackhawk are LIFETIME warranty and are sold by TMX, a huge vendor on here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk