New noise after cam phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what this may be? I picked truck up after cam phaser replacement Monday and first heard this noise Thursday while I was in a drive-thru and then again Friday when I cranked the truck.

Definitely sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine and most certainly was not there before the cam phaser repair. @FordTechOne any thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership text me just now and said the tech and shop foreman were finally able to duplicate the noise and it was coming from the turbocharger. It checked out fine and they verified through Ford that it is normal for the turbocharger to make a rattling noise at times. @FordTechOne can you confirm that to be the case?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealership text me just now and said the tech and shop foreman were finally able to duplicate the noise and it was coming from the turbocharger. It checked out fine and they verified through Ford that it is normal for the turbocharger to make a rattling noise at times. @FordTechOne can you confirm that to be the case?

Some rattle noise from the wastegate linkages is normal. The video doesn’t sound like wastegate linkage rattle though, that sounds like a tapping noise. However, the camera will pick up noises that may not be heard by ear and can amplify normal noises.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some rattle noise from the wastegate linkages is normal. The video doesn’t sound like wastegate linkage rattle though, that sounds like a tapping noise. However, the camera will pick up noises that may not be heard by ear and can amplify normal noises.
This is more of the tapping/knocking noise, not wastegate rattle.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealership blamed the wastegate and I can't blame them because that's the noise they heard, but not what I heard.

I popped the hood this morning to look around and found the A/C belt is split. I'm fairly certain this is the culprit but not sure what caused it to split. So I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership after I sent them this pic.

Attachments

• 20210930_104111.jpg
    20210930_104111.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 15