New brakes; EBC brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahh, a discussion on brakes. I'd almost rather engage in this than have ..... Well, almost.

When I first became a track rat in my 2020 911T, my very first track day, what impressed me most about the vehicle's performance? The engine? Nope. The steering? Nope. The suspension? Nope. Though all 3 were a close 2nd.

What was the most impressive and what will save your bacon? Yep, brakes.

When you are doing 130-150 down the front or back straight, depending on the track, you darn well better have a great set of brakes, brakes that don't know the meaning of fade, brakes that are and feel consistent from press to press.

Upon arriving home after 2 days at Watkins Glen International Raceway, I immediately called a friend of mine who literally and figuratively eats, sleeps and drinks Porsche. He's a bit of a wacko. Nothing in life is more important to him than his Porsches. He's owned Porsches for over 50 years. I couldn't wait to tell him about the brakes and how impressive they were. He was like, "My friend, Porsche is known for their brakes for decades, not for their engines or anything else, but for their brakes."

Last year I bought a 2020 M5. The front rotors were the size of a large pizza pie. Huge, I tell ya. Yet from the moment I drove it out of the dealership I felt a hitch, a bit of a stick, almost like a lump upon first touch of the brake pedal. I hated it from day one. When I complained about it on first service, the mechanic texted me a video with him under the car bragging about how big the rotors were. What an f'in *****. As if that had anything to do with my complaint. jackwagon. I wound up trading it for a 2021 Cayenne GTS which once again has brakes that are a thing of beauty.
I was always telling my ex, "Bigger is not always better!"

Last edited:

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to run EBC reds on all my subarus. I had Hawks and they dusted like hell and didn’t work anywhere near as well past the first 5k miles or so. They also crumbled around the edges and failed inspection even though they had 1/2 thickness left. Like they couldn’t survive winter or something.

But yeah this topic is slightly less subjective than oil and slightly more than tires. Good luck everyone. Let the **** show commence.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, a discussion on brakes. I'd almost rather engage in this than have ..... Well, almost.

When I first became a track rat in my 2020 911T, my very first track day, what impressed me most about the vehicle's performance? The engine? Nope. The steering? Nope. The suspension? Nope. Though all 3 were a close 2nd.

What was the most impressive and what will save your bacon? Yep, brakes.

When you are doing 130-150 down the front or back straight, depending on the track, you darn well better have a great set of brakes, brakes that don't know the meaning of fade, brakes that are and feel consistent from press to press.

Upon arriving home after 2 days at Watkins Glen International Raceway, I immediately called a friend of mine who literally and figuratively eats, sleeps and drinks Porsche. He's a bit of a wacko. Nothing in life is more important to him than his Porsches. He's owned Porsches for over 50 years. I couldn't wait to tell him about the brakes and how impressive they were. He was like, "My friend, Porsche is known for their brakes for decades, not for their engines or anything else, but for their brakes."

Last year I bought a 2020 M5. The front rotors were the size of a large pizza pie. Huge, I tell ya. Yet from the moment I drove it out of the dealership I felt a hitch, a bit of a stick, almost like a lump upon first touch of the brake pedal. I hated it from day one. When I complained about it on first service, the mechanic texted me a video with him under the car bragging about how big the rotors were. What an f'in *****. As if that had anything to do with my complaint. jackwagon. I wound up trading it for a 2021 Cayenne GTS which once again has brakes that are a thing of beauty.
I would add massive grip on those 992’s :p

It is not an easy move from Porsche to another brand. Especially to an M5. They are very big and heavy. Yea quick as hell in a straight line but that’s about it

Last edited:

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would add massive grip on those 992’s :p

It is not an easy move from Porsche to another brand. Especially to an M5. They are very big and heavy. Yea quick as hell in a straight line but that’s about it
I couldn’t have said it better. Mind bending acceleration, but, although I rarely do that, even so it quickly got boring. I was going to go to an X5M but didn’t want summer tires so almost opted for an XM50i. Glad I didn‘t.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t have said it better. Mind bending acceleration, but, although I rarely do that, even so it quickly got boring. I was going to go to an X5M but didn’t want summer tires so almost opted for an XM50i. Glad I didn‘t.
I have winter/summer for all the cars/SUV’s. Price you pay for 500+ HP vehicles. Nothing more depressing than removing a set of 315’s and putting on 275’s.