Never wax again!!!!!!!! Really

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just get 10 cans of spray paint, and paint the truck everwhere. that way if you scratch the paint, you only scratched the outside. the factory paint is still in good condition underneath.......:banghead:

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did about a 2 hour search on Opti Guard. Don't hold me to any of this, I am not as perfect as Opti Guard. Hope this helps some out.

There really are no compliants as stated in a few post above. Utube has nice vids of the product sheeting and beading with water.
Seems to be a new product. Opti Coat 2 is the professional version. Opti Guard is the consumer version. I read its almost the same thing but consumer version is better. Pic enclosed of the differances Opti Guard.jpg

Quote off of here Problems with Opti-Guard? - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

"It does not take away all vehicle maintenance, it assists with lessening bonded contaminates however people who have the coating installed will still need this contamination moderated in some respect. Obviously frequency of washing is going to assist in controlling amount of bonded contamination."

I would still like to see a test done, side by side on the same car with the Opti and two other products. One on each panel of the car. I would do it but I do not have a beater car to try it on.

Overall, it looks like a nice product but claims like the pic below, I do not believe, nothing last forever.

Opti Claims.jpg

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who owns one of these businesses that applies these teflon type coatings/sealants. After a lot of talking with him and after much research I believe these coatings work... to an extent. They do seal the paint depending on how many layers are applied which depends on how long it lasts. With my friend's company he offers three different versions that are called three different products/services. However they are all the same stuff applied. The 1-2 year warranty is applied with a single layer, the 5 year warranty is applied with 3 layers and the 7 year warranty is applied with 5 layers.

Now I'm not saying the stuff won't help certain people/autos, (hell it would probably really help in my own situation since I don't get to wash my truck as often as I'd like to and most of the time mine sits in my driveway and not the garage), but I personally cannot justify spending ~$500 on a paint sealant that is guaranteed through a small private business that will probably not be around themselves in 5 years.

It may not be pure snake oil, but it does contain some in it's mix!

And we all know if you want the most extreme shine and protection waxes are superior, but they just require more maintenance and regulatory service. my .02 cents

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my story -

Once upon a time I had a Ferrari F430 spider. I bought it up in New York with about 1200 miles on it. The dealer had sold it new to the previous customer who had this teflon coating applied for about 1500, and I was told I'd never have to wax the car again. It looked great, no swirl marks and I was pretty impressed.

Then I moved back home to Texas. The car lived through two 100+ summers and spent a fair amount of time outside while I was at work. It was a red car, and I started to notice that after the two summers the clear coat was yellowing! I was told by my trusted auto shop in Texas that 1 - I never should have bought the car with this on it, can't survive the sun without breaking down, and 2- you can't get it off, you have to wetsand the card down pretty far, then reshoot and reclear, which on a Ferrari is about the same as buying a Raptor.

I sold the car.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I heard that about the older stuff yellowing. The nice thing about the Opti Guard, is that it can be removed without sanding. That is the only reason I agreed to let them do it.

I figure I spend over 500 bucks a car on waxing per year. If I have to reapply this once a year, it saves me money and my cars look better running them through regular touchless washed than they ever have!

That Tuxedo Black is a dust magnet, but my SHO stays very clean now.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know the process to remove? Like wax, dawn will strip it down.
What removes the opti guard or better yet can you remove it or do you have to go back to whome ever put it on?

I have seen a vid of it going on and it looks like any other wax you put on, seems easy.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it can be removed i'm sure a clay bar will do the trick, however I will stick to traditional wax

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you get down to it just depends on the level of care one enjoys giving to the vehicle. On Sunday when I got home from breakfast getting the truck washed on the way home waxed it. Took less than an hour from start to finish (letting the wax set for 15 minutes to dry completely) with the Pinnacle.... Stuff comes off like you are dusting when you use the right microfiber towel.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I let mine sit for almost 15 minutes at 9:30 Yesterday to dry completely. You know how humid it was and it was cloudy BUT if it was sunny I could not have done it! The sun would have gotten the paint too hot and that will screw up the application and esp the removal of the real waxes. Makes them want to smear and in general not be nice lol.

Remember it only takes me 15 minutes to apply wax to the entire car when I don't fool around and 30 if I am stopping to talk or visit. For most people esp those that put it on by hand it is WO then when finished WO. Hey ya gotta have fun if someone wants to stand out and visit while you are working esp if she will show you her knockers!!

My wife does that so I will wax her car lol!!!!

Last edited: