Need Some Info On Gear Changeout/Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am considering a gear swap for more low end acceleration/power down. I have read a bunch of the threads on here about gear swaps. I am still running the stock tires, and do not really want to change size yet. Got 10k miles on the truck. Raptor is my daily driver, but I work from home, so really driving is just for fun, or off-roading at my ranch. What ratio would you guys suggest? What manufacturer? Yukon?

Basically I want to make the truck the fastest and quickest possible, without supercharging. Want to stay NA. Do not care a thing about the top end. Just want it to be ok to drive 80-90 mph max. 70% of my driving is city, under 50. 20% off-road, 10% highway. Was going to do full kooks exhaust as well. Seems to be a good choice. Would changing cams with all of this help as well? Enough to notice a difference? Anything else I can do? From what I read the throttle body thing is more of a gimmick.

All I have done so far is 5 star tune and CAI.

Any and all feedback welcome. I appreciate all you guys posting all the valuable info for guys like me who don't know too much. Just enough to be dangerous. Thanks.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did headers cams intake tune...still slow lol its faster than it was but I think gears would be a better investment

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
405hp/410tq at the tire. stock is like 330/350 according to livernois. ...

OP
OP
RaptorFlipper

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so for 75hp, you paid 4-5k?

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Sorry, but I am sure also better shift points, acceleration, etc. Correct?

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah lol $$$$ the cams for my motorcycle were 4700, gained 14hp....

A lot of money for not much power. However they both sound badass

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you figure out what gears you want do the math to figure out what RPM you would be at out on the freeway. Then go out on the freeway, get up to crusing speed and then down shift to get that RPM and run that way for a bit. Then ask yourself, can I tolerate this for 1 hour, 2 hours?

I know you say you don't do much freeway but its always a good idea to check. A gear install isn't cheap so having to undo it wouldn't be fun. Or you could just get bigger tires :)

Get the exhaust you want and then do it again. The change in crusing RPM could get you into a droning spot in the exhaust.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gears are going to run you around $2-3K if I'm not mistaken. 4.30's would probably be OK for a truck if you stick with 35's. If you ever want to go to 37's I'd go for 4.56's since you'll have added weight.

Hey! My parents live in The Woodlands (I grew up there, also) and I'm out in Cypress now...small world haha. If you're on FB, check out the Houston Area Raptor Owners page. We have meet ups, mod days, and off road days on a pretty regular basis.