Need help with tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OffRoader01

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BUT, you lose bed space....did you use the electric or manual retrax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes just a little from the top. I can still fit lumber and small items underneath. Cover locks in place in each position. It's not a work truck for me. But I like being able to secure loads with the cover. I've not missed the space at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d like to get A tonneau cover but I haul motorcycles from time to time and need the full bed so retrax is out for me unfortunately. Looks like the only option is the extang solid fold 2.0, as it can be removed easily, anyone have experience with that one? Any other suggestions where I could use the whole bed if needed? Not a big fan of the backflip that covers the window

CharlotteRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I ordered was a bedrug and Pace Edwards Jackrabbit with the explorer rails that have tracks in them for adding a rack over the bed for a roof top tent. Yes, I lose a little of the top part of the bed, but the most i ever put back there is camping gear for the family so not a huge loss of space for that. Plus I do like the smooth flush look of it when its closed, especially on an agate black truck.

Edit : In case anyone is wondering, I talked to Pace Edwards tech about how much weight it would hold, and they said whatever the racks are rated for as they sit on the side of the bed.

blexprails.jpg

Last edited:

Dirt_Crusted_Raptor

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the RetraxPRO XR power vs non power. Non Power they give you a free set of Yakima rails and it has a lifetime warranty. I just don’t know that I use the bed enough to justify the power and I don’t like having the fob on my key, leaving it in the cab kind of defeats the convenience.

Has anyone purchased a manual retractable cover and wish they bought the electric?

Thank you

PBR ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the RetraxPRO XR power vs non power. Non Power they give you a free set of Yakima rails and it has a lifetime warranty. I just don’t know that I use the bed enough to justify the power and I don’t like having the fob on my key, leaving it in the cab kind of defeats the convenience.

Has anyone purchased a manual retractable cover and wish they bought the electric?

Thank you
The manual one works so well, I’d never even consider the electrical one. Just more to go wrong...

Unless your like three feet tall and can’t reach the top of the bed sides I can’t imagine why you’d want the electric one

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the electric and could not imagine going with manual now. There are numerous times when I will sit in my cab and open the bed for someone to take something out or put something in. I can also stop at a light and open it to see how bad something has slid around or whatever and have it closed again before the light changes. As far as the remote goes, I just leave it in my truck. I don’t use the bed often enough that it makes a difference if I have to open the cab first.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was ready to get a retrax pro until I saw the Truxedo Sentry CT. Having the canister in the front is a minus for bed space, it would crush if I loaded my Mx bike. The ability to have it partially open was no use to me. The truxedo is boat canvas covered over aluminum rails. It can be rolled up against the back window without loosing much visibility, it is also easily removed without tools and was 863 shipped. My 2 cents

Dirt_Crusted_Raptor

Reaction score
Thanks guys.... I decided to go with the Retrax Pro XR manual. I don’t expect to use it enough to justify the electric version and 75% of the time I will just be accessing near the tailgate. I also don’t plan on hauling dirt bikes in the bed or needing all the bed space. I will post some picture after install as a token of my appreciation!

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see what the Ford branded Retrax my pro looks like. They offered it to me at cost with 3yrs. 36K warrantee.