Need help with tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spg993tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are there electric covers? do they draw off the battery direct or only when the ignition is on? would worry about battery drain for sure. hate plugging things into the electrical system that dont turn off with the car or with the time out

OffRoader01

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are there electric covers? do they draw off the battery direct or only when the ignition is on? would worry about battery drain for sure. hate plugging things into the electrical system that dont turn off with the car or with the time out

Yes battery direct. I haven't had any issues with drain or dead batteries in 2yrs of owning one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spg993tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very cool. any issues with the motor in super cold weather.? im in Nj, last winter was a month of single digits. it tested the limits of a lot of bits and pieces and not necessarily on the raptors but in general. i realized 1/2 my house wasnt built for negative or teens.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone run just vynal roll up cover like a truxedo cover or something similar or are those all crap? Ive had trucks since 1998 but never put a bed cover on any of them.

Cliff Lohner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running the bakflip G2 for sometime. Was on my F250, my recent F150, and I put one on my new 2018. I love the bakflip. It folds us nice and protects back window. You can fold open halfway and clip it open. It’s durable, low profile, bolt on, and I can put 300 lbs on top of it. I like the retractable ones but I hate losing bed space. Especially with the short bed as it is. The bakflip doesn’t take any bed space and if I want t off for some reason, it’s two knobs to loosen and it’s off....

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone run just vynal roll up cover like a truxedo cover or something similar or are those all crap? Ive had trucks since 1998 but never put a bed cover on any of them.
I'm a big fan of the truxedos. Newer design x15 is my personal favorite and has been on my 2018 for a couple months now. Extremely low profile and canvas top (vinyl underside). Was worried about it holding on to dirt as I live on a dirt road, but it has not been a problem.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

xmadcowx

Reaction score
I cannot recommend a retrax after the entire locking mechanism froze when I was in Buffalo a few years ago. Ended up going through a carwash and tipping the "prespray guy" $20 to sit there with the hot water turned on until it opened up again. Less things to break the better. I have a bakflip now and couldn't be happier. Just my 2c

PBR ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been running the bakflip G2 for sometime. Was on my F250, my recent F150, and I put one on my new 2018. I love the bakflip. It folds us nice and protects back window. You can fold open halfway and clip it open. It’s durable, low profile, bolt on, and I can put 300 lbs on top of it. I like the retractable ones but I hate losing bed space. Especially with the short bed as it is. The bakflip doesn’t take any bed space and if I want t off for some reason, it’s two knobs to loosen and it’s off....

I have a back flip on my gen 1 and for the most part I love it. It’s a bit annoying when all the way open and you can’t see out the rear, and I’d love it if you could mount a rack on the rails...it could be easily removed if you needed the cover folded open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OffRoader01

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a back flip on my gen 1 and for the most part I love it. It’s a bit annoying when all the way open and you can’t see out the rear, and I’d love it if you could mount a rack on the rails...it could be easily removed if you needed the cover folded open.

That's exactly what I can do with the Retrax after I added the rails. I can mount above the bed and still use the cover. I've never had an issue with freezing except when I washed the truck in cold weather. Few mins with a heat gun to melt the ice worked. Other than that no issues with stability or quality inn the three years I owned one.

PBR ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I can do with the Retrax after I added the rails. I can mount above the bed and still use the cover. I've never had an issue with freezing except when I washed the truck in cold weather. Few mins with a heat gun to melt the ice worked. Other than that no issues with stability or quality inn the three years I owned one.

BUT, you lose bed space....did you use the electric or manual retrax?