Need help with new pcm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegrays

Reaction score
So I fried my pcm lol I just need to know where to buy a new one, part #, and whether they come programmed or not. If they are programmed would it just be plug and play? Feel like there’s a catch, thanks!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford Dealer!!!
Getting a new PCM with the Tune and having it registered with your Vin# will involve Ford, $$$.
There are a whole bunch of security protocols with swapping PCMs.
The PCM is like $1,100, getting it to work on your truck is probably going cost a $600++

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went through this issue with my Mustang. You can do it yourself, but you may need a dealer for the PATS (passive anti-theft system) part if yours is completely fried. The PCM for a Raptor isn't that expensive I don't think. You'll need a J2534 pass through device for the programming. You can buy one from Amazon for around $500. I recommend the Mongoose Plus. Then you'll need a 2 day subscription for FJDS or FDRS, which you can get on the motorcraft website. If you somehow have access to a VCM II, you can use the real IDS dealer software, but it's not necessary.

After all that, the programming is super simple. There's lot of videos and training available online. If your PCM is truly fried and the software cannot talk to it, you'll need to grab as-built files from Ford, which I can point you in the right direction. But you'll probably have issues programming the PATS part.

OP
OP
thegrays

thegrays

Reaction score
The ecu got fried from a voltage spike during tuning the truck, so based off what y’all are saying there’s no way I could buy my own pcm off a vendor and have a ecu programmer come out and do the programming for me it has to go through the stealership?

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, it does sound like it may be bad if you can't flash it at all. Actually, I just realized you have a gen1? You may be okay with the Pats part if you have both sets of keys. But I'm not sure about the software part then. I know some of the software is only for 18+.

OP
OP
thegrays

thegrays

Reaction score
Yes I have a 2012, the only code it’s throwing at me right now is UO422, but when I try to tune the truck then, which it fails to tune because it can’t read stock data (save stock tune), the truck throws 4 codes all relating to the PCM

OP
OP
thegrays

thegrays

Reaction score
The truck also runs just fine, idles great and even under WOT it still pulls just as hard as it would. On the dash the engine light is not illuminated. The only difference I’ve noticed is under normal acceleration the truck doesn’t pull as hard and the rpm’s are not at higher than usual to accelerate. For light accel. The rpms go to around 2100-2500 when they used to shift around 1700. The shifts are also out of wack the rpms shoot up about 200 intermittently when shifting

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What handheld device are you using?

It doesn't sound like the PCM is fried.
Using a SCT X4 or Live Wire Tuning device and properly updating the firmware and married to you truck, shouldn't give you an issue.
And a SCT Tune file format from a reputable Tuner.

How's the battery, are you over 12.7 volts with the truck off?

Last edited: