***need help please*** broke driver side tierod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LvRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice and prior experience. I bent my driver side tierod, traveling at a pretty good speed, hitting a wash out rut. I was able to baby it a little and drive a little further until it snapped into two pieces and I lost all steering. Had to be towed 70 miles out of the desert for a fun nine hour ordeal.

My first question is my truck is a new 2012 SCREW with only 5500 miles on it. This is my second raptor, and have hit similar ruts in my 2010 scab with no problems. Do you think Ford will cover this under warranty?

Second question, should I just buy after market stronger tierods and suck up the cost?

Third question should I try and go through insurance for repairs or possibly rembursment for the tow bill?

Please chime in, need to make decision quickly! Thanks for the help. I only have a picture right now of the bent tierod. I'll try and upload it, then take a picture of it broken and upload it later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

mubesuqa.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

gyhusy2a.jpg

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a slightly bent tie-rod replaced under warranty, also the factory bushing was wearing out... so they replaced no questions asked.

Here's my take (which some may disagree with):

Tie-rods are a CHEAP part that are in some ways a sacrificial item that can protect other items downstream from more substantial damage... like your steering rack. However, they CAN leave you stranded, as you experienced. So unless you carry a spare, many hardcore guys like to have aftermarket stronger tie-rods, at the possible expense of a steering rack, which in most cases will NOT leave you stranded.

So you have to really weigh your priorities. For me personally, I've remained stock without issues, and my steering rack is also good as new after 40,000 miles of hard off road use. I know of two friends with aftermarket tie rods, both of whom have experienced rack issues and had the racks replaced!

If you stay stock and are an aggresive driver, at least carry a spare with you... :)

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree.. The stronger aftermarket tierods cause the next weak link to break.. Usually the rack housing or two rack mounting tabs or bolts will give..

Also if you get mired in deep mud or snow instead of the tie rods yeilding, the pump, lines, or something else will give..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Last edited:

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade off aside from possibly sacrificing the steering rack, after market tierods offer such a night and day difference in the steering of your truck. I would venture to say it's the most noticeable mod you can upgrade to right out of the gate. For whatever reason, I waited too long to upgrade them and have done it recently but am kicking myself for waiting so long.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had both of mine replaced under warranty because they were simply worn out with play in the ends. I wouldn't expect to get warranty in your case, but I would say you could get insurance for the damage>

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1. Doubt Ford will cover it, but won't hurt to try. The dealer might cover it just to keep you happy.

#2. I'd upgrade to aftermarket.

#3. Can't help, I don't turn this kinda stuff into my insurance.

Bryson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up grade to aftermarket.
I have Outlaw Raptor tie rods and love em!! good price too

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this type of thing, I would say the ole phrase. 'you gotta pay to play.'
is appropriate.

If your going to play like you were doing to bend it then you should change to after market. If you look at the OEM to aftermarket there is no comparison.
I have tried to set up any off-road vehicle to be above standard so that when the occasional GOTCHA comes along, and they will, and it did for you, then at least you have a better chance of survival. I look at what could strand me. There aren't to many things and with tie rods you should either have spares for each side or go aftermarket.
UCA's for these trucks are another item that could strand you. Therefore aftermarket UCA's is appropriate unless you carry spare UCA's. Rack will not strand you.
You have to learn t mcgyver when you go out. You could have used a long straight tool, like a breaker bar or large wrench etc. to patch the tie rod to get back out of the desert if you have enough stainless hose clamps, and duct tape or gorilla tape.
You have to look at your chances of doing it again.
But the first thing I would do is take it to Ford and try and get a new one no matter what you do. You can't carry a broken one for a spare.
Mil T

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have driven 50 miles with a broken tie rod after I snapped it off... 3 things..
1... ya cant use the front brakes at all ever!!! You must use the parking brake to slow and stop...
2... you must drive slow when in the dirt or gravel
3. you still have steering on one side, if the wheel that is broken flips out you need to back up to get it straight you then can move again..