***need help please*** broke driver side tierod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Trade off aside from possibly sacrificing the steering rack, after market tierods offer such a night and day difference in the steering of your truck. I would venture to say it's the most noticeable mod you can upgrade to right out of the gate. For whatever reason, I waited too long to upgrade them and have done it recently but am kicking myself for waiting so long.

Guys why do aftermarket tie rods make such a big difference? And in what way?
Always thought of em as same OE vs aftermarket.

th_be98e9fb9949f322bef8207bf0768aa9.jpgForever!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Heim joints give you a great feel of the steering only down fall is they wear out fast... for a DD they are not good but someone out on the trail quite a lot its a plus

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like Hock said, they will wear quicker but the feeling in the steering is so much more precise. Corey's (RPG) wife said it best... "It's like going from your grandpas Cadillac to an Audi R8."

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you guys are saying the OUTLAW or RPG tierods wear out faster? What kind of life do they have?

Yukon Joe
Delta Force
Snoball500 Support Raptor

OP
OP
LvRaptor

LvRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to thank everyone for your help and quick responses, that is why I love this forum. I will be taking it into Ford tomorrow, and see what they say. If they deny it, I'm not sure whether I will go with stock tierods or aftermarket, as I'm not really convinced which is a better way to go. I would like the added strength of the aftermarket, but I don't want my steering rack to fail later down the road. If I keep the stockers, I could by a spare set to keep in the truck for cheaper than keeping spare aftermarket ones. I'll keep everyone updated, and again thanks for the help.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Also not the best picture, but here is a picture of it broken.y6epety4.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange that it broke in the center like that. Did you hit any thing?

What did the dealer say?

Yukon Joe
Delta Force
Snoball500 Support Raptor

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
If it's more or around a set of RPG rods I think you have your answer on what's next!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do RPG or Oulaw make upgraded center links? We have the problem with needing upgraded tie rods on the Chevy Dmaxes, but I often have folks upgrade their center links at the same time to ensure against the steering linkage issues in the future. Also, when you guys say they wear out faster, anyone have any numbers on that? I have had upgraded Fab Tech tie rods on my Dmax for several years without issue. I upgraded mine because of the risk of bending them under load pulling stuff out of the hole. But the idea is the same.

Unfortunately, it is a trade off with the steering as much as with everything else. Ford designs these parts to do so much and to take so much from the factory, if you change one thing in the system, you normally have to change something else down the line to truly ensure that the upgrades are worth the effort or without causing more harm than good. I don't know because I haven't looked, but if I was considering upgrading them, I would also upgrade the center link as well to match up. I doubt there are upgraded idler and pitman arms available so with those upgrades I would think you would be good for quite some time.