Need Help - Dead out of Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys it has to be something I am missing or something that is being overlooked. I received a 54 inch Rigid RDS E Series lightbar as a Christmas gift. It was in a factory sealed box. It came from a reputable seller. No matter what I do it will not illuminate. It has not been installed only bench tested. It has been tested with voltmeters in place so it is definitely receiving power.What could I be missing? I'm Stumped.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have had the rare case of seeing a couple rigid lights having power and ground backwards. this was a few years back, but it might be worth seeing if its backwards.

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was something I had not tried, but it did not work either.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a set of the D-series pods arrive with a short in them, they would blow fuses any time you tried to power them on. Contacted rigid, sent the pods out on their dime had a new set back within a week. Their service and warranty are good, send them an email and see what they say.

bryanb

Reaction score
Bench tested with what? A DC power supply or an auto battery? If you've just tested it with a DC supply, try your truck's battery. Most bench supplies won't provide the required current for such a large light bar, and the voltmeter telling you have power doesn't reflect that the internal LED driver actually shut down when it could not pull enough power to light the bar. If you were bench testing with the battery then it does sound like you got a dud.

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bench tested with what? A DC power supply or an auto battery? If you've just tested it with a DC supply, try your truck's battery. Most bench supplies won't provide the required current for such a large light bar, and the voltmeter telling you have power doesn't reflect that the internal LED driver actually shut down when it could not pull enough power to light the bar. If you were bench testing with the battery then it does sound like you got a dud.
Thank you for the reply. I started with a 12v supply then verified with my truck battery with it running. It looks as though I'll be reaching out for support.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with a 20 inch radiance light bar from rigid. I had to send it back to them on my dime, but they fixed it. I was a little disappointed that I had to ship it back on my dime, so this time I went with baja designs. Top quality product should have top quality customer service.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why not just reach out to the seller who sold it to you for RMA support?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guess they were not as reputable a vendor as you hoped, sorry to hear that.

I'd recommend try hooking it up to a battery. Your bench power supply might not have enough amperage to power it. We have a few at our shop. One of them won't even power up an HID kit, whereas the other powers up anything. However I can't REALLY power up a 50" bar with either, it just can't produce enough power.

A 54" RDS bar pulls some serious amperage... 29.35amps. That's a lot of amperage for a bench power supply. Most bench power supplies max out at 10AMPs unless you have a REALLY powerful one.